The Official Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup thread

Started by The Real Laoislad, July 13, 2010, 04:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

Quote from: clarshack on July 05, 2014, 11:54:19 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on July 05, 2014, 11:49:41 PM
Stroke of genius by LVG

Hardly, they were poor pens. The keeper taken off would/should have saved them too.

Did you hear his record?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AQMP on July 05, 2014, 11:53:24 PM
The Dutch are hateful hoors.  I hope the Argies hammer them.

We have to be honest and say that apart from about 10 mins in the Belg v USA game, the knock out phase has been shite.  Boring as f**k.

I'd say both semis and the final will go to pens.
Would agree. Argies v Holland has pens written all over it. The other not much better. Wouldn't like to see Robben prosper so hope they get turned over.

EC Unique

Paddy has Brazil and Germany at 7/4. Hard to pick a winner but think maybe Germany.

Sea The Stars

Quote from: J OGorman on July 05, 2014, 11:53:59 PM
Quote from: Sea The Stars on July 05, 2014, 11:50:35 PM
The Netherlands and Argentina is a far more appealing match. I'm happy they went through. The Quarter-Finals have been a disappointment though. We have 4 teams in the semis who'll go for it and won't be playing for penalties.

Ah come on. Sport is enhanced with the chance the underdog might cause an upset. Would you rather have a 4 team tournament? I'd say you bet 10c each way on the favourite in the Gold Cup ;-)

Well funny enough if you want to go onto the horse racing thread and search through it you'll find plenty of predictions there.

Anyway I'd consider the Netherlands an underdog. They weren't fancied before the tournament.

Costa Rica weren't interested in attacking today. Plus I'd prefer to see more of Robben and Sneijder genuinely class players.

Anyway for me the World Cup is about the big football nations going head to head on the biggest stage. The Netherlands and Argentina are two great football countries with a great history. I would say the only time these two nations can clash is in a friendly or in a WC knockout match.

It has way more appeal than a Costa Rica / Argentina match and I certainly wouldn't be interested in watching Costa Rica park the bus again. It wouldn't be right reaching a WC semi having drawn your last 3 games either.

That's my view on it. That's the way I look at the World Cup to be.

Wildweasel74

Costa Rica maybe had 2 saved shots all nite in 120mins, the dutch were the better team and hit the bar 2 times and the post once, deserved to go through, Van Persie went off the boil from the 1st game which be worrying for them, the fact that no European team won a world cup in South America count against them and Germany, not that there would have been many anyway

AZOffaly

Quote from: EC Unique on July 05, 2014, 11:55:57 PM
Quote from: clarshack on July 05, 2014, 11:54:19 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on July 05, 2014, 11:49:41 PM
Stroke of genius by LVG

Hardly, they were poor pens. The keeper taken off would/should have saved them too.

Did you hear his record?

Krul's? Apparently he's faced 20 spot kicks in the premier league and saved two. Not stellar really. However he's a big man and obviously more imposing that the under 14 they had in goals.

Boycey

Martin ONeill pulled a similar stunt years ago as Leicester manager. Pulled his goalie in last minute of play-off final to put on a giant Aussie guy who's name escapes me. They didn't need him then as they scored in added time anyway

rodney trotter

The Dutch have a dire record at Penalties, they had been practising penalties for the last number of the weeks and before the tournament started, Krul obviously did well to be selected.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Boycey on July 06, 2014, 12:32:56 AM
Martin ONeill pulled a similar stunt years ago as Leicester manager. Pulled his goalie in last minute of play-off final to put on a giant Aussie guy who's name escapes me. They didn't need him then as they scored in added time anyway

6ft 7in Zeljko Kalac replaced Kevin Poole.
Didn't matter as Stevie Claridge then scored the winner.

ziggy90

Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 06, 2014, 01:23:16 AM
Quote from: Boycey on July 06, 2014, 12:32:56 AM

6ft 7in Zeljko Kalac replaced Kevin Poole.
Didn't matter as Stevie Claridge then scored the winner.

Good player and a great bloke.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Muck Savage

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 05, 2014, 11:47:54 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 05, 2014, 11:46:40 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 05, 2014, 11:44:17 PM
WTF is Krul at? Kick in the bollix is what he needs.

He has guessed right every time. Just like Packie.
Was thinking exactly the same thing :)  But I was talking about his antics before the kick each time.

Some penos by RVP and Kuyt. Scraped the paint off the post.

Didn't think there was anything wrong with what Krul was at, just kept telling them he knew which side they were going for, wished them luck and then even when they scored said he knew which side they were going for. Really got in their heads. Bit like a Wobbler back in '84 if I'm correct.
Glad Holland got through. More to offer in the semi. Hate when a team parks the bus, I know it's a legit tactic but hateful. The supporters were celebrating getting to  penalties. Holland went all out to win from the word go and even went with 2 at the back for 2nd half of extra time I think.
Glad to see more of Robben. He has an unreal engine in him and would love to see him win a WC. RVP has been very disappointing, hasn't really appeared after the 1st game. Kuyt has been super also. What he lacks in skill he makes up for in work rate, Liverpool should not have let him go.

Hopefully a German Dutch final with the Dutch winning in normal time.

AQMP

It's not been a good World Cup if you have to bump the thread on semi final night ;)

Wildweasel74

Say nothing, we all waiting Fred to run riot the nite!!

2 secs, call at the door, oops its the men in white coats for me!!!

AQMP

Did the BBC commentator just say Deutschland Uber Alles???

dec

Quote from: AQMP on July 08, 2014, 08:55:29 PM
Did the BBC commentator just say Deutschland Uber Alles???

Well it is their national anthem so it is quite possible that he mentioned it.