Doire v Cill Dara

Started by Donnellys Hollow, July 11, 2010, 06:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

Quote from: shawshank on July 15, 2010, 01:20:33 PM
No the Mc Guckian thing is not different. He was also told like Paddy that he was dropped, unlike Bradley, he stayed on the panel as you would expect any player to do. mc guckian didn't throw the dummy out of the pram-again!!

?
So McGuckian was actually dropped for that game then?

Overthebar!

yeah he was dropped which is why he didnt travel. fair enough i would say most would have done the same in his position...
honestly don't see why sml has been brought back for this game- no harm to him he has been a great servant for Derry but for me it sends out the wrong message to the other defenders on the panel who have been training away all year...i don't think sml will start but think he will play some part esp if the fb line are being bombarded with highballs like last saturday!
shouldn't be much between the two teams but hopefully home advantage should help secure victory

The Konica

My Tuppence ...

I disagree, I'd start SML.

What if you bring him on and he get's injured, not being up to the pace of the game? I'd rather see that in the first 5 minutes - especially since Kildare are slowish starters, rather than risk having to use 2 subs.

Also SML won't attack much but, bringing on someone else later in the game who can, when the game has settled or opened up would make more sense.

But I agree with the above post - can't see any sense in having him near the panel.
I would have him as a selector though!   

Will Hunting

Quote from: Overthebar! on July 15, 2010, 04:20:43 PM
yeah he was dropped which is why he didnt travel. fair enough i would say most would have done the same in his position...
honestly don't see why sml has been brought back for this game- no harm to him he has been a great servant for Derry but for me it sends out the wrong message to the other defenders on the panel who have been training away all year...i don't think sml will start but think he will play some part esp if the fb line are being bombarded with highballs like last saturday!
shouldn't be much between the two teams but hopefully home advantage should help secure victory

I think that's part of the problem - who are the other defenders on the panel? Maybe Ciaran Mullan, but apart from that - Michael McGoldrick is injured, Kevin McCloy left the panel due to injury, Niall McCusker injured long-term.

I think it's a wise decision from Cassidy. No point in us saying after a defeat "sure why did he not bring any more defenders in??". He has been pro-active in this instance and hopefully it pays off.

The Konica

What's McCuskers problem? Great player.

He almost single handedly turned the NFL Final against Kerry that day.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: The Konica on July 15, 2010, 04:35:06 PM

I think will summed it up. Long term injuries hinders his training, therefore cant get properly fit. Only 29 or so i think ?
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Overthebar!

i agree there isn't much cover-the only other two capable of playing in the fullback line are ciaran mullan and oisin duffy, niether of which have played senior championship. it will be a great decision if it pays off i am just not so sure. if  dermot early plays at ff i think i would play g o'kane on him. we were hanging on for dear life against westmeath-thought that baldy eejit was gonna score everytime they lumped the ball in!would be great to have mccusker back, he had a great game on star against kerry in the league final and he can fairly move once he gets going too!

The Konica

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on July 15, 2010, 04:40:30 PM

I think will summed it up. Long term injuries hinders his training, therefore cant get properly fit. Only 29 or so i think ?
Ah ok
I thought there was just one, not many

HIGH BALL CENTRE FIELD

Vodka  :D :D :D :D

Man Marker

Big Niall has had three operations in 15 months, he just started back with the club a few weeks ago. Some asset to the club if he gets fit. He is very hopeful that the whole thing is finally sorted.

Donnellys Hollow

Kildare Unchanged For Derry 
Kieran McGeeney has named an unchanged side for Kildare's Round 3 qualifier against Derry on Saturday, although there are some doubts about Dermot Earley.

A final decision on the double All-Star's participation won't be made until Saturday morning after a light run-out at the team hotel in Donegal.  The Sarsfields man did take part in training on Thursday night, after sitting out Tuesday's session. 

The panel will overnight in the North-West ahead of the game and leave from Newbridge at lunch-time today (Friday). 

The sides last met in the championship in 2006 when Derry won a Round 2 qualifier by 1-17 to 0-11 at the same venue.

The Kildare team is as follows:

1. Shane McCormack (Allenwood)
2. Peter Kelly (Two Mile House)
3. Hugh McGrillen (Celbridge)
4. Aindriú MacLochlainn (Ellistown)
5. Morgan O'Flaherty (Carbury)
6. Emmet Bolton (Eadestown)
7. Brian Flanagan (Johnstownbridge)
8. Daryl Flynn (Moorefield)
9. Dermot Earley (Sarsfields)
10. James Kavanagh (Ballymore)
11. Pádraig O'Neill (St. Laurence's)
12. Eoghan O'Flaherty (Carbury)
13. Johnny Doyle (Allenwood) Capt
14. Ronan Sweeney (Moorefield)
15. Éamonn Callaghan (Naas)

Same fifteen again for us Flourbags so.

Disappointed that Smith isn't in. Not surprising though given that he didn't feature either in Belfast or last weekend - both games that were well over long before the end. It's a big opportunity for Flaherty óg to show what he can do and we'll need big games from the likes of him, Paudie and Roli. I'd expect Leper to be given license to roam again and if Kildare can get him on the ball he should supply JD and Jimmers with enough ammunition to put up a decent score.

Dermot is clearly struggling with the knee at the moment but he is showing what a true warrior he is by soldiering on for the cause. If he doesn't have the legs for midfield - stick him in on the edge of the square and test out the Derry full-back line that struggled with Martin Flanagan's power and height.

If they don't think he's fit to start I'd say David Whyte would probably be first choice to come in (Hugh Lynch, Chalky and Foley other possible options though). I'd love to see Tomás O'Connor getting a run from the start though with Roli moving to midfield.

Looking forward to this one now. Derry aren't the team they were in the nineties (neither are we to be fair) but Celtic Park will always be something of a fortress. If we do win it it will probably be our biggest win in three years under McGeeney.

CILL DARA ABÚ!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

lynchbhoy

I'd expect Early on the edge of the square and maybe Doyle will join him as kildare will try to bombard the inexperienced Derry full back line all game long - esp if mcgeeney has seen footage of last saturdays game v westmeath.
Derry have a good XV to line out and start with- but are fecked after this with injuries.
Flourbags will never have as good a chance to beat Derry in Celtic park as tomorrow.
IMO this game might be one too soon for the Derry side just finding its feet again.
how often do we see kildare as favourites against us ! they def are right now- and thats no @rse-boxing about you horse-boxers !

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 16, 2010, 01:22:45 PM
how often do we see kildare as favourites against us ! they def are right now- and thats no @rse-boxing about you horse-boxers !

Paddy Power says otherwise LB
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 16, 2010, 01:28:08 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 16, 2010, 01:22:45 PM

Paddy Power says otherwise LB
Paddy power knows f**k all then about Derry and their powers of underperforming these past few years !
Look at the last 5 years and the teams that beat us in qualifiers (and ulster championship).
Usually Derry would be favourites in the majority of these games!!
v Donegal, v fermanagh, v monaghan, v longford etc etc

DoireGael

I would say personally say that big McCusker is a bigger blow to Doire football than Bradley to be honest............heavily missed by the team in its core