Doire v Cill Dara

Started by Donnellys Hollow, July 11, 2010, 06:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

;D
Like the Dubs, you don't do sarcasm very well Dinny.

Dinny Breen

What ever about not doing sarcasm comparing me to the Dubs that's just harsh...

We have it in the bag...

#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

The octupus only evens out the Sunday Game lads tipping Kildare last night. I even heard Spillane talking up Kildare today! We live in strange times.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

móidín doire

From Derry website
QuoteAll-Ireland Senior Football Qualifier Round 3 

Saturday 17th July 2010 @ 3pm in Celtic Park: Derry v Kildare 

This game is not an all-ticket game. Pay at turnstiles.

Turnstile prices for the game are: €25/£21 stand , €20/£18 terrace. Student/oap €15/£13 

Prices not a bit steep there, especially with the match on TV? How much has it been into the other qualifiers this year, or has it been the same for all?!!

lynchbhoy

think tickets were €20 last sat

€35 for the leinster final (plus €3.50 booking fee)

imo the qualifiers are a bit too exp

J OGorman

Quote from: móidín doire on July 14, 2010, 12:42:42 PM
From Derry website
QuoteAll-Ireland Senior Football Qualifier Round 3 

Saturday 17th July 2010 @ 3pm in Celtic Park: Derry v Kildare 

This game is not an all-ticket game. Pay at turnstiles.

Turnstile prices for the game are: €25/£21 stand , €20/£18 terrace. Student/oap €15/£13 

Prices not a bit steep there, especially with the match on TV? How much has it been into the other qualifiers this year, or has it been the same for all?!!

bit steep alright...kids go free by any chance?

Midlands Man

Any word on Paddy Bradley returning?

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Midlands Man on July 14, 2010, 05:02:42 PM

where from ? was he at the parades
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Midlands Man

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on July 14, 2010, 05:41:31 PM
Quote from: Midlands Man on July 14, 2010, 05:02:42 PM

where from ? was he at the parades

Seriously anyone able to threw some light on the subject of Bradley , Cassidy said after the Westmeath match the ball was in Bradleys court now and it was up to Bradley to make the call..

glensman-derry

Paddy will not play for Derry under D Cassidy again Midlands.

Paddy told us at the club that it was not being dropped.....it was the fact he could not give him a reason for it.

If you go on the Derry thread you will read that preparation going into the game v Carlow was not the best....attendances at training were poor and the team didnt fare to well in a couple of friendlies (one against a Tyrone clubside).
He said he was one of the few whop had trained all the sessions in the lead up to the Carlow game and that it was clearly a personal problem that Damian had with him was the reason he was chopped

Midlands Man

Thanks Glensman ... What do u make of yer chances saturday , do u think ye will beat kildare?

JMohan

I don't see why Cassidy dropped Bradley for that game if he was fully fit. It had all the hallmarks of a personal decision or attempt to make a point to Bradley (against a team they had an almost 100% chance of winning). It's a sad decision and very sad to know that one of Derrys finest players will be in the stand watching. 

Beating Westmeath was a good win and allowed Cassidy and Derry to be judged on a good game and result.
But I'd expect evern the most positive and optimistic Derry supporter would admit it was nothing exceptional as Westmeath have had a turbulent season, disjointed and full of mutiny and even only had a new manager for a few weeks and this will be the real test of the Derry team, forget about the previous games.

SML is one of the finest footballers ever, but I'd be worried for him if he starts against Kildare. His last 2 games for Derry were poor and shaky. He struggled and resorted to a lot of pulling which was a worry. There is a huge step up from any club football - even for a great like SML - to SFC.

I thnk it's a good test for both as both Derry and Kildare had shocking starts to the SFC. I expect Kildare to win this, simply because they have had a longer and better response since the first round and seem more settled. The injuries to the Derry defence will weaken it and I'd worry if Gerard O'Kane can't make it.

For Derry to win it they have to break even at midfield which the can easily do - in fact they could win that battle. They need to keep Kildare scores to a minimum from frees, use fast ball, get another big game from Wilkinson and Lynch and hope that Eoin Bradley cuts loose with one goal at least. 

shawshank

JM I like many derry supporters was a surprised as anyone with Paddy getting dropped. I remember reading in some thread somewhere prior to the Carlow game where some poster was predicting that Bradley was going to get dropped, I called him a WUM, but he had the inside track it seems.  My personal thoughts are he should still be there and he should have had the balls that Mc Guckian had, who incidently was excellent at the weekend. I have asked two players that I know reasonably well, and without them obviously not wanting to say to much about it, said that they had no quams about him getting dropped as his attitude in training and the game agianst Donegal was very poor, he didn't play in the Longford game. If it was personal would the brother still be involved- no chance. Also its worth noting that Bradley has played very poorly for Derry and Glenullin this year, his conditioning is poor and his performances have reflected it. All players are entitled to play poorly, they can't play top draw football all the time, but when there forms dips they should be big enough to put the team first

J OGorman

Quote from: Main Street on July 12, 2010, 04:29:42 PM
Where is thread on,
'visiting Derry for the first time, any advice?'

are you staying up Main Street?

Mary B's is the closest bar to Celtic Pk, big crammed, but you can stand outside. Or the Celtic Bar around the corner

Outside of the game:
The obvious spots I suppose, the Walls are well worth a walk.
The Bogside and murals.
Free Derry Museam
Bloody Sunday memorial
The new Irish Centre opened on the Great James St which is worth a look
Pint of stout in Peaders
Bag of chips in Fiorentini's
The Forte Inn in the Craft Village (off Shipquay St) does great food

Late night supping Id recommend the Gweedore (live rock 'n' roll downstairs disco upstairs - gets busy), Sandino's or Masons. There is a plethora of super bars clubs, but I've never darkened their doors (bit long in the tooth) so couldnt really recommend

hope you enjoy your stay and not the result!  ;)

JMohan

Quote from: shawshank on July 15, 2010, 12:27:39 PM
JM I like many derry supporters was a surprised as anyone with Paddy getting dropped. I remember reading in some thread somewhere prior to the Carlow game where some poster was predicting that Bradley was going to get dropped, I called him a WUM, but he had the inside track it seems.  My personal thoughts are he should still be there and he should have had the balls that Mc Guckian had, who incidently was excellent at the weekend. I have asked two players that I know reasonably well, and without them obviously not wanting to say to much about it, said that they had no quams about him getting dropped as his attitude in training and the game agianst Donegal was very poor, he didn't play in the Longford game. If it was personal would the brother still be involved- no chance. Also its worth noting that Bradley has played very poorly for Derry and Glenullin this year, his conditioning is poor and his performances have reflected it. All players are entitled to play poorly, they can't play top draw football all the time, but when there forms dips they should be big enough to put the team first

Well the McGuckian thing was completely different - as far as I know - his wife was having a baby?

If his attitude was poor well that is one thing, but I'd imagine that it must have been very, very poor to be dropped completely. Now I wasn't there and don't know, just guessing. It seemed a hell of a strange decision.

You're right, his performances have been poorer this year, but he is undoubtedly one of the finest forwards in the province still, and unfit or not I'd still have him there to cause trouble - he's still worth a goal or two or three points.

To drop someone like that is a huge decision, could he not have been taken off after 45 minutes or something?
I guess the bottom line for me is I can't see how it can't have been managed or handled better for Derry?   

Neyways, that's neither here nor there ... let's look at the game ...