Doire v Cill Dara

Started by Donnellys Hollow, July 11, 2010, 06:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Heading up North again - hopefully we'll get a similar result to the one in Belfast.

Bad memories of Celtic Park from 2006 when we got a bit of a hiding.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Club Rossa

I can't see Derry losing to Kildare at home.I know they lost a couple of league games in Celtic Park this year but i strongly fancy them with home advantage.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 11, 2010, 06:58:24 PM
Heading up North again - hopefully we'll get a similar result to the one in Belfast.

Bad memories of Celtic Park from 2006 when we got a bit of a hiding.

Yea but that was Kildare under Crofton pretty toothless if we're honest, we were well beaten by 16 Offaly that year too so will have no bearing. Also Kildare have improved no end since then and this Derry side seem to have regressed since then, they were very tame in going out to Armagh and not exactly convincing against Carlow although seemingly they played well against Westmeath.

Anyhow both sets of fans are simillar in that we both think our counties are better than they actually are and both sides will be confident of winning..

If Paddy Bradley plays or features I think that could swing the game in Derry's favour, what's the latest, is he back in the squad?

Don't think this game will be pretty, think Derry will try and out muscle Kildare (old habits) but physically we can match them, need Alan Smith I think, he has the goal touch and this game will be decided by 3 points or less.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

It'll be a dog fight alright but I think this Kildare team have shown over the last few weeks that they do have the belly for a fight.

It'll be a real good test for the new look full-back line especially if Paddy Bradley is back. Kelly, McGrillen and Mac have all done well but neither Antrim or Leitrim really tested them. Derry's forwards carry a much greater threat.

Smith will probably come in for Eoghan O'Flaherty if he's fit. I'd be tempted to give Tomás Connor a start too. His presence on the edge of the square created a handful of goal chances last night. I wouldn't be surprised if Kavanagh took over from JD with the frees. Johnny's radar just seems to be off a bit at the moment.

Blue and Navy

I would worry about Kildare's exertions over the last few weeks, but i honestly think they will have enough to see off Derry, even if it is away. They showed great mental strength to go to Antrim and win, i think they will do the same up in Celtic Park.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Blue and Navy on July 11, 2010, 08:27:20 PM
I would worry about Kildare's exertions over the last few weeks, but i honestly think they will have enough to see off Derry, even if it is away. They showed great mental strength to go to Antrim and win, i think they will do the same up in Celtic Park.

Physically I think Kildare will be fine, the last 2 games lacked intensity and the 2nd halfs of both games in particular were more challenge than championship.

Have the mother-in-laws 60th so don't think I can travel plus going to Ulster final on Sunday hopefully this will be televised.
#newbridgeornowhere

lynchbhoy

this is a fairly even tie imo.
both teams are capable of winning it.
i'd have preferred to play and beat offaly first then meet kildare as imo Derry require another game under their belt and Doc etc back in order to be at their best for kildare.
As it stands Derry are just a game underprepared and this could be the losing of the game for them.

Paddy bradley is gone. I dont expect to see him back, but you never know!

dunno if I'll go up to this one, might wait for Derrys next qualifier game the week after !  ;) :)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 11, 2010, 08:32:21 PM

Physically I think Kildare will be fine, the last 2 games lacked intensity and the 2nd halfs of both games in particular were more challenge than championship.

Have the mother-in-laws 60th so don't think I can travel plus going to Ulster final on Sunday hopefully this will be televised.
unlikely to be televised - Derry games are usually video nasty's and not broadcasted !
Admit it - yer too afraid to go to mucker city ! ;)

Donnellys Hollow

Doubtful with the hurling replay I'd say. Tv3 have the first pick so that'll be the Dubs/Armagh game.

Teams from the 2006 encounter:
Derry: B Gillis; K McGuckin, K McCloy, J O'Kane; F McEldowney, M Lynch (0-01), F Crossan; F Doherty (0-01), J McBride (capt) (1-00); J Diver (0-01), J Kelly (0-03), G Donaghy (0-01); C Mullan (0-02 (1f)), P Bradley (0-06 (2f)), E Bradley (0-01).
Subs used: G Diamond for Donaghy, SM Lockhart for Lynch, R Convery (0-01) for Diver.

Kildare: E Murphy (capt); A McLoughlin, K O'Neill, M Hogarty; M Foley, J Divilly, A Rainbow; K Brennan, P Hurley; J Doyle (0-03 (1 '45, 2f)), J Kavanagh (0-02), R Sweeney; T Archibald, T O'Connor, P O'Neill (0-05).
Subs used: T Fennin (0-01) for Sweeney (blood), Sweeney for Hurley, M Fitzharris for Fennin (blood), Fennin for Archbold, E Callaghan for Rainbow, P Mullarkey (blood) for Sweeney.

John Divilly!  :D

Dinny Breen

QuoteAdmit it - yer too afraid to go to mucker city !

Can you blame me, already spent a weekend in Coleraine, the result was good that weekend though!!!
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 11, 2010, 08:38:45 PM

Doubtful with the hurling replay I'd say. Tv3 have the first pick so that'll be the Dubs/Armagh game.

Derry: B Gillis; K McGuckin, K McCloy, J O'Kane; F McEldowney, M Lynch (0-01), F Crossan; F Doherty (0-01), J McBride (capt) (1-00); J Diver (0-01), J Kelly (0-03), G Donaghy (0-01); C Mullan (0-02 (1f)), P Bradley (0-06 (2f)), E Bradley (0-01).
Subs used: G Diamond for Donaghy, SM Lockhart for Lynch, R Convery (0-01) for Diver.

Kildare: E Murphy (capt); A McLoughlin, K O'Neill, M Hogarty; M Foley, J Divilly, A Rainbow; K Brennan, P Hurley; J Doyle (0-03 (1 '45, 2f)), J Kavanagh (0-02), R Sweeney; T Archibald, T O'Connor, P O'Neill (0-05).
Subs used: T Fennin (0-01) for Sweeney (blood), Sweeney for Hurley, M Fitzharris for Fennin (blood), Fennin for Archbold, E Callaghan for Rainbow, P Mullarkey (blood) for Sweeney.

:D

Some turnover in players all the same, only 5 of that team will start..
#newbridgeornowhere

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 11, 2010, 08:39:11 PM
QuoteAdmit it - yer too afraid to go to mucker city !

Can you blame me, already spent a weekend in Coleraine, the result was good that weekend though!!!
surprised you rem the weekend !

5 players still in the current Derry team, 3 more on the panel, not including p Bradley

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 11, 2010, 08:41:02 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 11, 2010, 08:38:45 PM

:D

Some turnover in players all the same, only 5 of that team will start..

It's a shame Tommy Archibald faded away off the scene. He looked like a superstar at underage level. Never really recovered from the injury he picked up in the Leinster minor final.

Dinny Breen

That's the Kiss of Death  if ever there was one both O'Rourke and McStay on TSG tipping Kildare to win  >:(
#newbridgeornowhere

bennydorano

I'll be filling my boots with Kildare, I'll actually back Kildare minus points.  Any faith I had in Derry evaporated in Celtic Park when Armagh beat them, a very talented bunch of individuals with no backbone, no stomach for a fight and a manager who obviously doesn't have the dressing room.