DUBLIN V ARMAGH sat 17th @ 5.00pm croke park

Started by lawnseed, July 11, 2010, 06:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hedley Lamarr

Let's face facts...Armagh were very poor and do not have the forwards to win a tight game. ::) For me the only player who played well today was McKeever...the rest were very poor. Sideline had no clue....never tried anyone else on Brogan. :o
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

balladmaker

Be thankful for Armagh exiting the fray with a 3 points defeat, for much worse surely lay ahead if they had progressed a round or two.  Pure crap, and a serious amount of questions over the ability of a good few of that team today. 

As for Dublin, they've lined themselves up for a serious tanking in the next few weeks.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

The Aristocrat

Hardluck to Armagh.

Well done the Dubs.

About the booing lads, we have been doing that since the 70's, everyone knows what to expect coming to Croker, its not new and it will continue, get over it. Stevie missed a load of free chances shooting into the Canal end were there was no fans.

Dire game but at least we are still in the hat for the draw tomorrow, a trip to Roscommon would be nice please.

under the bar

Quotethe booing of the so call  dublin fans a disgrace when stevie taking his frees

Don't rule out that there might have been a few Armagh fans booing what their own team was serving up as football.

Jinxy

Can't say the booing thing ever really bothered me tbh.
Kind of like being at a panto.  :P
If you were any use you'd be playing.

armaghniac

QuoteArmagh were very poor and do not have the forwards to win a tight game.

With Ronan Clarke missing , an allstar class forward, Armagh were always going to have problems. This defeat was as much our fault as Dublins, we would have been much worse off if we remained until meeting a big gun in a later round.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

you take er!

Pains me to hear what some are saying about Armagh. The nucleus of a good team is there but the way we have played at times this year has led some to use words like Crap, shite,useless etc. with the players at our disposal we should be better and i think its down to the way we are set out. Not knockin the management but we do need to change the way we approach games.

B. Brogan scored 5/6 from play today...is it worth playing a sweeper???
blooding some of last years minors will help us, but we need to be more forward thinking.

congrats Dublin- as physically strong a side as i have ever come across...BB needs help though.

mountainboii

Jaysus that was poor, poor stuff. Said before the game that I wouldn't have been too disappointed to lose at this stage as a decent amount of progress had already be made this year, but you couldn't help but be frustrated by going out playing such ugly shite.

There'll probably be a bit of hyperbole about wholesale changes in personnel heading into next year, but that's not the problem. It's that horrible style of football that's holding us back. We won't win anything playing like that, regardless of who's in the jerseys. There's too much intricate hand passing and too much carrying into contact. We're like a rugby team, trying to offload the ball in the tackle. Every attack is slow and predictable. The reason the half forwards are so ineffective is because they're continuously drawn backwards to receive shit little five yard hand passes from the defenders coming out. Moves break down around the opposition 50 because we eventually run out of players to run backwards for another five yard pass. What I don't understand is the criticism of certain players for playing this way. The whole team has signed up to it, they're just doing what they've been sent out to do, focusing on any one in particular misses the point.

On the match itself, I was happy enough with Hearty, who's had a solid championship. Donaghy also had a decent game. Mallon struggled, worryingly not for the first time this year. Top forwards can outmuscle him. Martin was better than I expected, but he's not a corner back and there are better corner backs in the county.

McKeever was Armagh's best player in my eyes. Fantastic positional sense, although maybe it's easy to look good when you're not marking anyone. Duffy had his worst game in a good while, was one of the main culprits for carrying the ball into contact. Moriarty was quiet, he'll have a job holding onto his jersey with Comiskey, McKenna and a hopefully improved Dyas about next year. Aaron Kernan spending most of the game in this line epitomised the dour crap we were at.

Midfield was a disaster zone again. It's a pity our two best midfielders got injured at such a crucial stage of the year. Mackin just isn't good enough at this level and Vernon has had a very disappointing year in the middle. Vernon doesn't compete well enough in the air and needs to realise that he won't get away with trying to barge through 3 or 4 men at this level. Swift was probably the pick of out lads in this area, he's been a definite positive this year.

Feeney, like Mackin, seems a bit short of the quality needed for county football. He didn't bring much to the party. Brian Mallon was alright, far from our worst player on the day. This area needs to be the focus of attention next spring. I'd throw Rory Grugan in at the deep end and let him get on with it. The lads we have playing here will never reach the levels required to get us back to the top, but young fellas like Grugan might.

McDonnell and Clarke were well bottled up. Dublin had at least three men on the two of them at all times, sometimes four. High balls pumped in came straight back out. If we were to win we needed to give these two a steady supply of good ball, instead they were left feeding on scraps.

I'd still maintain that we've moved forward this year with a couple of useful additions and some invaluable experience garnered, but today showed us how far we still have to travel. It was probably better to go out on a respectable scoreline to a half decent team, than to face another mauling at the hands of a Cork or Kerry.

Fcuk it, minor football is where it's at anyway.

INDIANA

In fairness AFS you must have been starting from the abyss if that armagh team have moved on this year. I think you're up shit creek for the forseeable future. You'll see us paddling around in there as well.

mountainboii

Quote from: INDIANA on July 17, 2010, 09:54:53 PM
In fairness AFS you must have been starting from the abyss if that armagh team have moved on this year. I think you're up shit creek for the forseeable future. You'll see us paddling around in there as well.

Did you not see us last year?

lawnseed

exactly AFS. hooray for the minors. but it should be pointed out that some of the lads playing today are off probably the best u21 team of the decade, who apart from one game in their campaign won easily and convincingly. what have we done to them? theyre slow, ponderous, ethergys of the players they once were. since u21 level one poor manager after another, two rugby coaches, weights and more weights, all trying to emulate the 2002 team who were already battle hardened for 4 years when they won. armagh football is in a really crappy place right now, forget about losen the match we've managed to get rid of 20000 football fanatics who fought over tickets...
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once