DUBLIN V ARMAGH sat 17th @ 5.00pm croke park

Started by lawnseed, July 11, 2010, 06:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 20, 2010, 04:41:48 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on July 20, 2010, 03:23:34 PM
Because there was enough ball being dropped
or kicked straight to Dublin :o
Can't agree with you there, Hannratty has impressed in the limited time he has had before.

Could you elaborate? Against Donegal he got a lot of ball and either ran into a donegal player or kicked it away. Then against fermanagh he got taken off after the 1st half. Also he got 5 mins against Dublin and still managed to give the ball away once! What am i not getting?

tyroneman

Is it correct that S Forker has left the panel?? Always thought he was useful player.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: tyroneman on July 20, 2010, 05:04:36 PM
Is it correct that S Forker has left the panel?? Always thought he was useful player.

Yeah he left after the Donegal match. Deserves a run in the McKenna Cup / NFL next year though.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ardmhaca08

Think it would be fair to say that Kevin orourk should also be given his chance. IMO he was disregarded far too early by POR. Joke the way forker was treated.

The Konica

Agreed. Forker is far too good a player to be kicking his heels while guys like O'Rourke and McNulty are brought back.

Would it not have been far better to have had Forker there or another younger minor U21 player - even if only at training etc - for the experience at least - than them two warming the bench?

Armamike

To be fair to the management, any player who isn't getting a shot at first team action (e.g. Forker) is probably left out for a good reason, i.e injured or not cutting it at training. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

The Konica

Quote from: Armamike on July 20, 2010, 07:57:15 PM
To be fair to the management, any player who isn't getting a shot at first team action (e.g. Forker) is probably left out for a good reason, i.e injured or not cutting it at training.
I'll accept that, but McNulty and O'Rourke instead?

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: eireogatron on July 20, 2010, 12:28:56 PM
do you not mean we'll have to take two steps forward for every one step back? otherwise its the opposite of progress lol.

everything else is spot on. - not too many boys on the 02 team had any underage medals (not worth speaking of anyway), but recent Down teams have shown its no guarantee- we cant forget that either.

Enda McNulty - Ulster Minor
Justin McNulty-Ulster Minor
Andrew McCann- Ulster minor
Paul McGrane-Ulster Minor
John Toal-Ulster U21
Paddy McKeever-Ulster Minor and Ulster U21
John McEntee Ulster Minor and Ulster U21
Diarmuid Marsden-Ulster Minor
Steve McDonnell-Ulster U21

Subs who played
Tony McEntee Ulster Minor and Ulster U21
Barry O'Hagan-Ulster Minor

Thats a fair bit of under age pedigree?? 

Dangleberrys

Just seen the game, as a neutral,  :o Im sure the ref wont get clamped in Dublin for awhile! From when the score was 0-10 to 0-10 until the end, Armagh were 'rode' bareback!

eireogatron

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on July 20, 2010, 10:19:02 PM
Quote from: eireogatron on July 20, 2010, 12:28:56 PM
do you not mean we'll have to take two steps forward for every one step back? otherwise its the opposite of progress lol.

everything else is spot on. - not too many boys on the 02 team had any underage medals (not worth speaking of anyway), but recent Down teams have shown its no guarantee- we cant forget that either.

Enda McNulty - Ulster Minor
Justin McNulty-Ulster Minor
Andrew McCann- Ulster minor
Paul McGrane-Ulster Minor
John Toal-Ulster U21
Paddy McKeever-Ulster Minor and Ulster U21
John McEntee Ulster Minor and Ulster U21
Diarmuid Marsden-Ulster Minor
Steve McDonnell-Ulster U21

Subs who played
Tony McEntee Ulster Minor and Ulster U21
Barry O'Hagan-Ulster Minor

Thats a fair bit of under age pedigree??

i dont dispute that theres a few Ulster medals in that team, however you're missing the point of my argument - which is that minor success is a long term payout not something that (for the most part) reaps rewards in the following few years which is what some believe will happen, and also in the cases of Down and Derry in particular it is no guarantee of senior success at all.

most of these ULSTER medals came 10 years before the AI win, and there wasnt a single AI inter county medal between them (some had club medals).

Therefore we should be looking at last years minors to be successful AT ALL IRELAND STANDING in 2019, not 2011 which is what some people think.

you take er!

It very much depends on who is added year on year and how good they are. Down relied solely on the 1999 AI minors for the last 10 years many of whom were forwards - No defence. Derry - AI minor champs 1989 Senior champs 1993 Trone AI Minor champs 1998 senior champs 2003. My point is it should not take 10 years ,you can concievably challenge in 4/5 years but it depends a lot on the quality of the other players both younger and older.

even 1/2 players added each year can make a big difference. R. Clarkes Co. minor team was nothing special nor stevie McDonnells and yet they were added to the squad at different times to a team that included sucessful minors (even if it was 8/ 10 years previous)

eireogatron

Quote from: you take er! on July 22, 2010, 02:45:38 PM
It very much depends on who is added year on year and how good they are. Down relied solely on the 1999 AI minors for the last 10 years many of whom were forwards - No defence. Derry - AI minor champs 1989 Senior champs 1993 Trone AI Minor champs 1998 senior champs 2003. My point is it should not take 10 years ,you can concievably challenge in 4/5 years but it depends a lot on the quality of the other players both younger and older.

even 1/2 players added each year can make a big difference. R. Clarkes Co. minor team was nothing special nor stevie McDonnells and yet they were added to the squad at different times to a team that included sucessful minors (even if it was 8/ 10 years previous)

i will agree with you there. I was meant to type " by that logic we could be looking at 2019" rather than stating we would be waiting til 2019.

I would say we wont know for sure until perhaps 2012/13 who will make the grade and what way they will stand in all ireland terms rather than just producing decent inter county footballers, and would imagine it would be 2014 perhaps before these guys are experienced enough to bed in properly with the likes of the Clarkes, Vernon, Toner, Donaghy, Moriarty, Aaron etc. and challenge for Sam. I think this would have a great age profile of 7 or 8 28-31 yr olds and 7 or 8 20-24 yr olds in the team, which I think is ideal for a tilt at the title - (without discounting anyone else of a different age, just trying to highlight what I think the make up of the team could be)