DUBLIN V ARMAGH sat 17th @ 5.00pm croke park

Started by lawnseed, July 11, 2010, 06:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

In fairness Onlooker, Grogan got all his scores from frees, bar the goal which was a slip from O'Connell. Both Dublin and Armagh are very much in the chasing pack and I think that both teams have a great chance this weekend. As long as the doesn't meet Cork, Kerry or Tyrone (maybe) then they could go far. I fancy Dublin to win this but that maybe due to the fact that I haven't seen as much of Armagh so I can't really judge them. If the rumours of discontent in Dublin camp are true I may have to change my mind, but on the basis that things are ok I think Dublin have enough to win in CP and have a bit more on the bench to change things if needed.

DuffleKing

Quote from: illdecide on July 14, 2010, 12:54:56 PM
Quote from: Uladh on July 14, 2010, 12:22:32 PM
"natural half forwards" are a myth in the modern game. its a creative playmaker needed at centre forward - which we dont have - and two footballers at wing forward that can defend without the ball, win possession and support the attack.

Sorry don't agree with ya there, the Cf should yes in theory be a creative playmaker but the other two half forwards need to be scoring forwards who can put the ball over the bar, our problem is we have half forwards that are natural midfielders and are not known for their scoring abilities which snowballs more pressure on our FF line, yes they work hard and defend but cause little to no scoring threat whatsoever and until that changes we will not be competing for major honours.

Cork, Kerry and Tyrone have 6 scoring forwards and that's why they're the top 3 teams in the country

eh, kerry play galvin and a midfielder in the half forward line - donnacha walsh at the min
Cork play goold and pearse o'neill in the half forward line - two midfielders
Tyrone play dooher and mcmahon there.

None of those six are natural scoring forwards. one or two points a game each, if that.

Throw ball

Quote from: heffo on July 14, 2010, 03:55:51 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on July 14, 2010, 10:45:58 AM

what was he suspended for ?

was it retrospective for breaking charlie vernon's jaw?

Vernon got a hospital ball and Bastic went for it with his eyes on the ball - that notwithstanding, I hear Mickey Linden is doing up his dental expenses arising out of a challenge from your erstwhile fullback..

Would agree with this and nobody from Armagh complained at the time. On saying that Brian Mallon got sent off against Monaghan for a much less dangerous tackle so you never know. But then again who was the referee in that game.

Onlooker

It is also relevant, zulu, that some or most of those frees, if I remember correctly were conceded by the Dublin full back line.  Some defender has to be at fault for conceding the frees that are scored.

ardmhachaabu

Vernon got a hospital ball and Bastic went for it with his eyes on the ball - that notwithstanding, I hear Mickey Linden is doing up his dental expenses arising out of a challenge from your erstwhile fullback..

I was at the match and was fairly close to the incident.  I am not sure if it was a hospital ball and I am not sure that Bastic went for the ball either, not complaining about it just saying it like I saw it. 
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

INDIANA

In two  minds. All the issues in the camp aren't going to help for the game. They aren't rumours unfortunately. However I don't believe Armagh are that good that Dublin on a good day couldn't beat them. However armagh's team represents a far better base for the future then ours.
50/50 game. Two teams coming off the back of tankings against average enough opposition. I'd be hoping dublin are due a win against armagh

heffo

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 14, 2010, 05:40:44 PM

I was at the match and was fairly close to the incident.  I am not sure if it was a hospital ball and I am not sure that Bastic went for the ball either, not complaining about it just saying it like I saw it.

I was at it too and was also close to it and I don't remember anyone from Armagh complaining about it at the time

balladmaker

I'm more confident of Armagh beating Dublin than I was of them beating Fermanagh....strange.

armaghniac

QuoteI'm more confident of Armagh beating Dublin than I was of them beating Fermanagh....strange.

Strange indeed. I hope you are right. But the crannog dwellers have drawn with us and beaten us in the last 6 years, I am not quite sure when Dublin last beat us, but it is twice as long. But they are due a victory.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armaghgeddon

Last time Dublin beat Armagh in a championship game was in 1977.
Last time Dublin beat Armagh in All Competitions was in 1999 in an NFL game. The scoreline was 0-14 to 0-6
Overall their head to head record in all competitions is Dublin 12 wins. Armagh 8. Draws 4.
In the last 10 years Dublin have not beaten Armagh once.
In the last 10 years Dublin have only beaten 1 Northern team.

Although we have a great record against Dublin in recent years history means nothing.

Strangely im slightly more confident in playing Dublin than I was against Fermanagh but not a lot more confident. Im wary of Dublin because they are eventually going to put in a big performance and I don't think they are as bad as people think. They seem to have taken on a similiar persona to Tyrone and Kerry - Struggle in the qualifiers and then they will show their true selves.

armaghniac

QuoteIn the last 10 years Dublin have only beaten 1 Northern team.

They must be glad that Down is in the same division now!

They seem to have taken on a similiar persona to Tyrone and Kerry - Struggle in the qualifiers and then they will show their true selves.

I think Dublin can play better, but so can Mayo, and look where they are.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: armaghniac on July 14, 2010, 11:54:57 PM
QuoteIn the last 10 years Dublin have only beaten 1 Northern team.

They must be glad that Down is in the same division now!

They seem to have taken on a similiar persona to Tyrone and Kerry - Struggle in the qualifiers and then they will show their true selves.

I think Dublin can play better, but so can Mayo, and look where they are.

The reason I think Mayo went out is due to a lack of respect for opposition Longford are ranked something between 20-25. Same happened to Armagh in 2004 Fermanagh, although I will grant you that Fermanagh are better that Longford by a good bit.

Like I said im unconvinced, although it is 50/50 going on performances I think that there is something to be wary about with Dublin. Its a question of who is more disciplined and who looks more capable of putting in a big performance. Armagh look the more likely to do this. Im just going to talk myself out of my opinions again and watch Dublin vs Wexford all voer again

balladmaker

The game is so hard to call because no one has the first clue as to what Armagh and Dublin teams will turn up.  Both have the possibility to be scintillating on their day, both have the distinct possibility of being complete crap as well.  Thus the uncertainty.

Given the game is in Croke Park and with all the Dublin trappings that go with it, the Dubs would have to be favourite.  But who knows, J. Clarke and McDonnell could knock in a couple of goals in the first 15 minutes and anything could happen......Carlsberg don't do games but.....

Hound

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on July 14, 2010, 11:41:39 PM

Obviously you must be talking about championship given we've beaten Tyrone, Monaghan and Derry this year alone in the league.

Though, from memory, I believe you are wrong regarding the championship also.

In the last 10 years Dublin have beaten 2 Nothern teams in the championship (Derry and Donegal) and lost to 2 Northern teams in the championship (Tyrone and Armagh).

Zapatista

Quote from: Hound on July 15, 2010, 07:10:14 AM
Quote from: Armaghgeddon on July 14, 2010, 11:41:39 PM

Obviously you must be talking about championship given we've beaten Tyrone, Monaghan and Derry this year alone in the league.

Though, from memory, I believe you are wrong regarding the championship also.

In the last 10 years Dublin have beaten 2 Nothern teams in the championship (Derry and Donegal) and lost to 2 Northern teams in the championship (Tyrone and Armagh).

Not to mention the fact that Dublin have been taking a very direct route over the years leaving less opportunity to meet these teams.