What should be done about the Leinster Final Fiasco?

Started by muppet, July 11, 2010, 06:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should be done?

Award Louth the title and Meath enter qualifiers
39 (22.8%)
Order a replay
69 (40.4%)
Meath are champions and Louth enter qualifiers
63 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 170

pkerin

Great so the GAA have no balls and now Meath are the same.

heffo

Quote from: Louth Exile on July 12, 2010, 10:05:24 PM
21:52
It looks like there is going to be no decision tonight, the wisdom of the Meath county board was not to get a copy of the ref's report.

So unless they get a copy in the next hour there will be no more discussion on the matter tonight.

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/2010/07/12/decision-on-meath-v-louth-replay-live-updates/

Well thats that then.....................

They're going to consult with the Meath players & Mgt and make a decision tomorrow

AZOffaly

Quote from: heffo on July 12, 2010, 10:07:27 PM
Quote from: Louth Exile on July 12, 2010, 10:05:24 PM
21:52
It looks like there is going to be no decision tonight, the wisdom of the Meath county board was not to get a copy of the ref's report.

So unless they get a copy in the next hour there will be no more discussion on the matter tonight.

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/2010/07/12/decision-on-meath-v-louth-replay-live-updates/

Well thats that then.....................

They're going to consult with the Meath players & Mgt and make a decision tomorrow

Which is correct and right. Your county board couldn't make a decision without making sure the players are happy to do that. Which means I think the Co Board want to offer the replay.

muppet

Quote from: pkerin on July 12, 2010, 10:07:11 PM

It is a cop out to leave it up to Meath. Has the Gaa noticed that they might be a teeny weeny bit conflicted?

The Meath CB are there for the good of Meath Gaa. Croke Park are there for the good of the game and it is they who should be doing the right thing, not passing the book.
MWWSI 2017

Mac2

There's always this end of the world shit when a controversial decision happens, GAA's a farce, refs are a joke, players have no integrity, fans were a disgrace, the championship is sullied etc etc.
No matter what county was playing yestereday, guaranteed there would've been a few nutters out to have a go at the ref after that decision, course it's wrong but it will be dealt with, lets not act so shocked that it could happen.

Now Joe Sheridan's the poster boy for cheating, like as if we have players putting their hand up every week to admit to jersey pulls and handling the ball on the ground.

Refereeing is a problem and definitely needs to be looked at in the context of using the umpires and linesmen but as I've said before given the abuse they're subjected to fewer and fewer are volunteering to do the job

Regardless of whether Meath offer a replay the game will and has to go on.

saffron sam2

Quote from: thewobbler on July 12, 2010, 08:07:17 PM
Bit late on this one myself, but if the game is replayed in any official capacity we may as well call time on our games and hand them over to liberal lefties to ruin them once and for all.

Sport is all about highs and lows, shocks and dramas. And the main reason for this is that when a game is over, it's over, and there is no going back in time.

Personally I understand the shock and frustation that Louth are going through. At one stage yesterday I was cheering the fellas on who were have having a swipe at Sludden, so annoyed was I - not at his mistake, but for his sheer arrogance in handling the situation.

But if Louth pursue a replay they will irrevocably change the nature of our games forever, and it's simply downright irresponsible and selfish for them to even consider their cause worthy enough for this kind of action.

The only fallout from yesterday's game should involve Sludden. He should be banned from any intercounty activity for a year. Not because he made a mistake, but because he didn't call on his umpires and linesmen for such an important decision. Referees need to be accountable too.

Whilst there is much of your post I can't agree with, the bit in bold is certainly true. Sludden's actions after the game weren't those of a right thinking indivdual; he reminded me of Comically Ali with a Village People moustache.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Donnellys Hollow

Has Dundalk's own Jim Corr had his say on the matter yet? I was half expecting him on the Last Word this evening declaring the "goal" as part of the 9/11 conspiracy.

They could make a great South Park episode out of this. "RESPECT MARTIN SLUDDEN'S AUTHORITAH!"
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Louth Exile

22:46
Louth County Executive Committee had a meeting and reviewed the post match incidents at the LSFC final, Louth v Meath.

On behalf of Louth GAA we wish to condem the unsavoury incidents after the match. We will provide full co-operation with the relevant authorities to deal with the offenders.

We are also seeking a copy of the referees report for clarification purposes to enable the Louth executive committee to consider all options available.

We wish to confirm that no further official statements will be forthcoming on behalf of the Louth County Board on this matter until further notice

St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

SuperDooperCooper

Not to trivialise the situation but here are the texts I got:
--------------------------------------------
Breaking news: The CCCC Held an emergency meeting straight after the Leinster final and after reviewing the Meath goal, they have decided to suspend Colm Cooper for a month.
Sepp blatter was just interviewed after world cup final. He said "i cannot believe, ha ha, that louth are looking for a replay, ha ha"

Bogball XV

Quote from: SuperDooperCooper on July 12, 2010, 10:56:33 PM
Not to trivialise the situation but here are the texts I got:
Breaking news: The CCCC Held an emergency meeting straight after the Leinster final and after reviewing the Meath goal, they have decided to suspend Colm Cooper for a month.
Sepp blatter was just interviewed after world cup final. He said "i cannot believe, ha ha, that louth are looking for a replay, ha ha"

Maybe they could be the ninth team in the quarters?

On second thoughts, hurling has already devised a system like that ;D ;D

Jinxy

Quote from: pkerin on July 12, 2010, 10:07:11 PM

Take a break for a while like a good lad.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

TYRONE HACK

Just heard Meath sec say they done nothing wrong, Joe Sheridan, I didnt throw the ball, pure cheat and cocky with it, a bit like the Meath players in 96 that didn't split Dooher and McBride in the all Ireland semi.
Bart Simpson syndrome, I Didn't do it!

stephenite

I hope now that there is not a replay - I hope that this incident serves to highlight the stupidity of the umpire system as it stands and how they are appointed.

ballinaman

Quote from: stephenite on July 13, 2010, 12:11:57 AM
I hope now that there is not a replay - I hope that this incident serves to highlight the stupidity of the umpire system as it stands and how they are appointed.
Hope being the operative word stephenite, fcuk ups have been made before and will be made again, this will change nothing with respect to the umpires.
The scenes after the final whistle have made sure there is an easy deflection for the gaa sadly.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ballinaman on July 13, 2010, 12:16:43 AM
Quote from: stephenite on July 13, 2010, 12:11:57 AM
Hope being the operative word stephenite, fcuk ups have been made before and will be made again, this will change nothing with respect to the umpires.
The scenes after the final whistle have made sure there is an easy deflection for the gaa sadly.

But Ballinaman we should not let the GAA away with deflecting the issue, a terrible decision by officials which cost a County which had within the rules of the GAA just won a Provincial Title should be dealt seperatly from the issue of thuggish behaviour by patrons of Croke Park (I don't think they could be called fans or supporters).
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.