United ireland, whats has it to offer me.

Started by delboy, July 06, 2010, 01:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delboy

Im a unionist with a  small u, I vote alliance, but admit if I was in a seat that was touch and go between a republican and unionist candidate, i would transfer my vote to the unionist candidate because while i believe in sharing power/co-operation etc, i want that to be done in the context of northern ireland remaining in the united kingdom.

If the majority of the people of N. Ireland of course wanted a UI then i would obviously abid by that decision. So that sort of sets the scence to what sort of unionist i am (garden centre unionist maybe).

What would a UI offer to me, would there be any benefits to reunification, surely nationalists/republicans can make some sort of case for a UI that offers something to the average prod/unionist, after all if you want to acheive it you'd get there a damn site quicker if you can convince/persuade the likes of me to swop allegiances.

TBH i can see several disadvantages, but i've never seen much in the way of persuasive arguments which held any benefits (for the likes of me, as some on here like to label me).
NI has a heavy reliance on the public sector, we are presently a small region of the UK which isn't to much of a drain on the public purse, but in the context of a UI we would be an enormous drain and huge numbers of public sector jobs would have to go due to duplication.
We have a NHS which despite the media is still held in the highest regard by people, thats just a few.

We would also become a significant minority, would our rights and ability to express our culture be properly protected in a UI??

Can anyone make the case, or is it a UI for republicans only.

ziggysego

Quote from: delboy on July 06, 2010, 01:45:16 PM
We would also become a significant minority, would our rights and ability to express our culture be properly protected in a UI??

I wouldn't agree that you would be in the minority. I'd go as far as to say, you as a (u)nionist would have a louder voice in the Dail, than you would have in Westminster.

As for your culture being protected, maybe not 10-15 years ago. However these days, and quite rightly, the Irish Government are promoting and safe guarding the Unionist culture in the south. You only have to look at the work going into the Boyne in recent years.
Testing Accessibility

Canalman

Think Dellboy that the "UK" would disagree with your assertion that it "isn't too much of a drain on the public purses"............ certainly Cameron has intimated so.

1st post colonial generation of Brits now beginning to run the country........... the ties are slowly unravelling.

lynchbhoy

jeezuz delboy that view of what a reunification would be is one of scaremongering told by daddy unionist/loyalist down to his kids for generations !

look at all the influx of other nationalities and cultures into Ireland over the past 20 years !
There are no problems with the people coming into work (we still have problems with the Irish and now those non nationals that dont want to work and just want to live off welfare - no country can afford that).
Anyhow other than this , everywhere you go there are huge numbers of english, eastern europeans, yanks, chinese and at least up until now there has been no cultural problems.
What culture or what different culture would unionist/loyalists from the north of Ireland bring that would be way different to these people ?
Since the mid 90's plenty of unionists/loyalists have come south of the border to work and live - they didnt combust just after newry !
so the cultural 'problem' imo does not exist.
if people wish to integrate and not put up barriers themselves, then there are no problems !

Your main question is divided into two.
Firstly you (NofI) are costing the british tax payer a hell of a lot of money in policing etc.
also the north of Ireland has a massively disproportionate amount of civil service public sector jobs that the british gov would be only too keen to transport elsewhere !
As Canalman has also mentioned that cameron intimated that he wants to jettison the N of I - the brtish gov and all politicians want to take back these jobs and put a stop to spending money on something that isnt theirs- and give it back to Ireland !

it insnt that simple - as you have rightly pointed out, there will be a hell of a lot to do to bring the services for the  people of  N of I up to scratch before they could countenance an agrement for reunification - NHS, child care and welfare system payments and so many other benefits you guys take for granted. a lot of work and money would be needed.
On the plus side, this might kick ass down here and make our system improve ! thats not a bad thing.

finally there will need to be investment, jobs and a financial incentive for both parties in Ireland to be happy about before people will be willing to integrate from north to south as a single political nation - and there will have to be financial security for southern citizens before we accept you into the fold.

the 'cultural' question or problem doesnt exist - as you are not different in any way apart from wearing silly bowler hats and speaking with unintelligble accents

Hardy

Not being disingenuous, but what do you have in mind? Define the cultural expressions you're worried about being allowed to express and, where appropriate, the mode of expression and I'll attempt an answer.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hardy on July 06, 2010, 04:16:55 PM

Not being disingenuous, but what do you have in mind? Define the cultural expressions you're worried about being allowed to express and, where appropriate, the mode of expression and I'll attempt an answer.
The OO would obviously want to continue marching through mainly nationalist areas as is their God-given right (apparently). I feel this "right" would not be upheld in a new fluffy all-inclusive state.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 06, 2010, 04:47:51 PM

The OO would obviously want to continue marching through mainly nationalist areas as is their God-given right (apparently). I feel this "right" would not be upheld in a new fluffy all-inclusive state.

They already march in Donegal with no problems, I remember seeing pictures a few years back with one lone Garda car leading the march with on-lookers wearing Donegal GAA jersies waving enthusiastically at them while they lay on the grassy banks along by the road.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Banana Man

I'll tell you what it will offer you Delboy, a 50,000 all seater stadium to watch your national soccer team play in at all interntional games, how's that grab ya for a start  ;D

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Banana Man on July 06, 2010, 05:20:37 PM
I'll tell you what it will offer you Delboy, a 50,000 all seater stadium to watch your national soccer team play in at all interntional games, how's that grab ya for a start  ;D

We're not Brazil we'r All-Iron!
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

fitzroyalty

TBH, I'd let them march round my backgarden if it meant a UI.

Main Street

TBH i can see several disadvantages, but i've never seen much in the way of persuasive arguments which held any benefits (for the likes of me, as some on here like to label me).
NI has a heavy reliance on the public sector, we are presently a small region of the UK which isn't to much of a drain on the public purse, but in the context of a UI we would be an enormous drain and huge numbers of public sector jobs would have to go due to duplication.
A disadvantage in undergoing subvention rehab?
Subvention addiction, difficult to let it go but also difficult to maintain current consumption, prospects of continued supplies at current levels are not great.
You should be well through a weaning-off period after a few years.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 06, 2010, 05:17:15 PM

They already march in Donegal with no problems, I remember seeing pictures a few years back with one lone Garda car leading the march with on-lookers wearing Donegal GAA jersies waving enthusiastically at them while they lay on the grassy banks along by the road.
Aye but there are many contentious parades in the north because the OO insist on coat-trailing around areas that they insist is their traditional route regardless of the current demography of the area. Obviously the more taigs you can antagonise the better. Sure that balloon Mark Harbinson has tried to make a mixed housing estate in Stoneyford part of the traditional route for whatever band of thugs he heads up (although I think he is in chokey at the minute!).

magickingdom

delboy, the economy in the north would have to completely change in a new ireland situtation as you rightly allude to. it could take up to 20 years for this change to happen without huge upheaval but it could be managed in an orderly way - one way or the other such a large public sector is not sustainable.

any new ireland would have to completely safeguard unionists traditions and britishness. just as irish people in the north can get irish passports british people in the north after this new ireland comes into existence should be able to continue to get british passports forever.

in this new ireland unionists would make up about 20% of the population and could be in power after most elections with that block

i would have no problem with whatever flag/anthem most people would want and it should reflect the population as a whole.

we'd definitely get to a few more world cups.

unionists would be surprised at how open the republic is, a good 25%-30% of the population here have no interest in irish culture of any sort and twice that are glued to the premiership for their sporting fix so unionists would not be homesick in any way ;)

it would lead to a proper frendship between ireland and britian, which should have always existed