The why do Kerry players get away with Blue Murder thread

Started by haveaharp, July 05, 2010, 09:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

Quote from: highorlow on July 05, 2010, 10:24:37 AM
I thought the Sunday Game said it as it is for once.

It's a mans game not like some other sports that get mass coverage on our screens where lads roll around on the ground as if they were shot in the balls every time.

O'Shea went in hard a few times but in the heat of the battle everyone does this. There was no vindictiveness in his tackles. Similar to the O'Hara incident. For God's sake Eamonn couldn't get out of yer mans way.

As for Tadhg Kennelly's approach in the AIF, he was probably verging on the borderline alright but still no harm done, he was trying to soften up the Cork lads from the outset. Cork should have nailed him later in the game. Whealan on MacGarrity in 06 was another borderline one.

It's worthwhile listening to David Brady when he is co commenting he tells it as it is and a hard tackle every now and again IMO is ok as long as there is no vindictiveness behind it.

This toughness has been in the game since day 1 (just as Mickey Ned) so 'harping' on about it isn't going to solve it or accusing one county over another isn't doing any good either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc9VY7BKKCw

Well said. They was no highlighting of Tommy Walsh's wild pull yesterday and rightly so. Hurling is accepted as being a man's game and as a result TSG hurling analysts aren't a 1/4 as pernickety as their football counterparts for highlighting incidents, they prefer to use their time analysing good play and tactics rather than the lazy analysis of the football crowd who even try to make up incidents that weren't there e.g. Stephen Kelly's "bump" on Tomás Ó Sé.

Chris agus Snoop

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 05, 2010, 10:42:47 AM
Quote from: Chris agus Snoop on July 05, 2010, 10:39:45 AM
Anthony Tohill looked a broken man, the bully boy tactics succeeded. Pathetic how they tried to insinuate that Kelly giving him a little shoulder was provocation enough to get a muay thai elbow to the side of your face.

The refs let Kerry get away with murder because they know if the yerras take a dislike to you, then youre going to be objected to whenever Kerry make a final. And since kerry make a lot of finals you can forget about being one of the top refs.

Ara come off it. There's no point trying to have a sensible debate if you come out with stuff like that. Does Galvin 'get away with murder'? Quite the opposite I'd suggest.

Your head is in the sand, boy. Down in Cork we see Galvin more than anyone else, when youre watching on TV you only see him when he's on the ball. What he does off the ball is the problem.

lynchbhoy

Galvin doesnt get away with murder (any more) because he is consistently doin it and now consistently caught.
if it was he and not o'Se kicking or using the elbow yesterday he would have had a red card three times.
Refs are watching out for him. But as he consistently does it and gets caught now, he brings it on himself. Thats the line he has to ensure he doesnt cross.

I said on a prev thread that the GAA need to do something about this.
Its not like 10-15 yeas ago - football has become less 'violent'. A lot of these incidents would not cause an eye to blink back then.
Mick Lyons btw did not actualy resort to that kind of stupid tackle - his reputation was forged from retaliating and fighting back at the aussies in the inaugrual compromise rules games.
That old meath team hit but it was not from behind off the ball. You got it when you had the ball b that was football back then. This kind of intimidation is gone from the game.
We need CCtv digital cameras at each championship venue and a citing officer to look into any reported incidents.
I know mothers that are afraid to let their lads play football because of the bad violent reputation it had ...these small incidents are not as bad or as frequent as yesteryear, but are highlighted more by the media in their quest for 'headlines'.
So a citing officer should be used to help eradicate this from the game. Players will soon learn to stop this craic in the same manner as we learned the change from taking all frees and sideline from the ground or no handpassing into the goals.
Players (human nature) need an incentive or deterrant. A citing officer is vitalhere imo.
We CAN afford it and the cheap cost of cameras as a one off hardware installation - maybe Bud weiser could give them a cheap quote !

blanketattack

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 05, 2010, 11:25:03 AM
That old meath team hit but it was not from behind off the ball. You got it when you had the ball b that was football back then. This kind of intimidation is gone from the game.

Please tell me you're joking? You couldn't be that naïve!
Do you think Colm O'Neill's retaliatory punch on Mick Lyons in 1990 was because of what Lyons had done to him when he had the ball? It was because of at least 5 digs off the ball previously.

Do you really think Meath players never did any dirty shenanigans off the ball?

highorlow

QuoteDo you really think Meath players never did any dirty shenanigans off the ball?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWdn6Gmrkz8

Shur Meath are pure gents.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

blanketattack

I also have to say while Meath were no angels you also never heard a word of complaint from a Meath player or Meath manager about a belt. They gave it and they also took it. It's strange to see Colm O'Rourke picking out incidents that weren't half as bad as some of things he was subjected to which he didn't bat an eyelid to.

Hound

Quote from: blanketattack on July 05, 2010, 12:19:07 PM
I also have to say while Meath were no angels you also never heard a word of complaint from a Meath player or Meath manager about a belt. They gave it and they also took it. It's strange to see Colm O'Rourke picking out incidents that weren't half as bad as some of things he was subjected to which he didn't bat an eyelid to.
Ah now, Colm was an awful moaner in his day. But then again he's not a real Meathman.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: blanketattack on July 05, 2010, 11:42:56 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 05, 2010, 11:25:03 AM

Please tell me you're joking? You couldn't be that naïve!
Do you think Colm O'Neill's retaliatory punch on Mick Lyons in 1990 was because of what Lyons had done to him when he had the ball? It was because of at least 5 digs off the ball previously.

Do you really think Meath players never did any dirty shenanigans off the ball?
having played along with Lyons I'd know him as a team mate quite well.
he would generally NEVER start it. Not always , but mostly !
Most opponents would do so - like vinny murphy or colm oneill, then Mick would get going.
Some other meath men would retaliate first, but the two you mentioned were the two that wouldnt start anything - they just finished it !!

I can name other meathmen that did start stuff - one of which would be Micks brother !

longrunsthefox

Origin of expression BLUE MURDER...

"Getting away with blue murder"
Implies a person has gotten away with something so bad that they were expected to get get caught for.
If you a royal was murdered it would be assumed that the culprit would be apprehended as there would be an unusual large manhunt undertaken making getting away with this murder harder than the murder of a normal person. And since royals are known as blue bloods this is were the term originated.

Jinxy

Quote from: highorlow on July 05, 2010, 12:11:32 PM
QuoteDo you really think Meath players never did any dirty shenanigans off the ball?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWdn6Gmrkz8

Shur Meath are pure gents.

That was self-defence.
Finnerty started it!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

blanketattack

Quote from: longrunsthefox on July 05, 2010, 01:42:59 PM

Implies a person has gotten away with something so bad that they were expected to get get caught for.
If you a royal was murdered it would be assumed that the culprit would be apprehended as there would be an unusual large manhunt undertaken making getting away with this murder harder than the murder of a normal person. And since royals are known as blue bloods this is were the term originated.

This is what I thought he meant by Kerry players committing blue murder...

maddog

Quote from: blanketattack on July 05, 2010, 02:22:57 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on July 05, 2010, 01:42:59 PM

This is what I thought he meant by Kerry players committing blue murder...

;D

Zapatista

Quote from: Jinxy on July 05, 2010, 09:51:24 AM
I'm getting a bit tired of the language that's thrown around in the aftermath of every controversial incident nowadays.
"tr**p", "sc**bag" etc.
You'd swear half the lads here had never played the game.
By all means players need to be punished for aggressive/violent acts on the field but we don't need to go down the route of condemning players as human beings.

This probably should have been the last post on this thread. I find it hard to believe the Sunday Game plays such a big role (other than it's intended role) in our games.

paddypastit

Two points that add nothing to the discussion but just struck me.

Firstly, anybody tyhat was watching the Sunday Game and thought that the O'Se incidents were glossed over was not watching the same programme as I was.

Secondly, haven't we all gone awful soft!! When Mickey Ned was poleaxed, the ref tapped him on the leg and nobody went near him for a full 35 secs and even when they did there was bugger all excitement - wasn't Mikey Sheehy placing the ball fro the free and wondering what the delay was about.  Can you imagine today.  Firstly there would have been an all out arm waving contest among the players with 20 odd involved and not a punch thrown.  Then we would have had half the state ambulance service in attendance and the fuss afterwards - front page news the next day...
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

highorlow

QuoteSecondly, haven't we all gone awful soft!! When Mickey Ned was poleaxed, the ref tapped him on the leg and nobody went near him for a full 35 secs and even when they did there was bugger all excitement - wasn't Mikey Sheehy placing the ball fro the free and wondering what the delay was about.  Can you imagine today.  Firstly there would have been an all out arm waving contest among the players with 20 odd involved and not a punch thrown.  Then we would have had half the state ambulance service in attendance and the fuss afterwards - front page news the next day...

I noticed that alright in the youtube clip. It's as if the players all of them including the Kerry byes were just standing back and saying to themselves 'ah well Mickey is polaxed but shur its all part of the game anyhow'.

I remember a school game I was playing in once and our coner back got polaxed, we were coached by a priest at the time and he ran onto the field and did the "3 finger in front of the eyes trick" with the young lad, asked him how many fingers he was holding up, the young lad said 4, the priest said 'near enough' and we carried on playing.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go