The why do Kerry players get away with Blue Murder thread

Started by haveaharp, July 05, 2010, 09:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

I thought the Sunday Game said it as it is for once.

It's a mans game not like some other sports that get mass coverage on our screens where lads roll around on the ground as if they were shot in the balls every time.

O'Shea went in hard a few times but in the heat of the battle everyone does this. There was no vindictiveness in his tackles. Similar to the O'Hara incident. For God's sake Eamonn couldn't get out of yer mans way.

As for Tadhg Kennelly's approach in the AIF, he was probably verging on the borderline alright but still no harm done, he was trying to soften up the Cork lads from the outset. Cork should have nailed him later in the game. Whealan on MacGarrity in 06 was another borderline one.

It's worthwhile listening to David Brady when he is co commenting he tells it as it is and a hard tackle every now and again IMO is ok as long as there is no vindictiveness behind it.

This toughness has been in the game since day 1 (just as Mickey Ned) so 'harping' on about it isn't going to solve it or accusing one county over another isn't doing any good either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc9VY7BKKCw

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

blanketattack

A more pertinent question is how come every Kerry incident is highlighted in full yet incidents by other teams are left unhighlighted e.g. Derek Kavanagh on Gooch, Carr pushing the ref, the Limerick back belting Kieran O'Leary twice?

Personally I didn't think any of them required a second look, but if you are going to highlight incidents, at least be consistent.

AZOffaly

Quote from: highorlow on July 05, 2010, 10:24:37 AM
I thought the Sunday Game said it as it is for once.

It's a mans game not like some other sports that get mass coverage on our screens where lads roll around on the ground as if they were shot in the balls every time.

O'Shea went in hard a few times but in the heat of the battle everyone does this. There was no vindictiveness in his tackles. Similar to the O'Hara incident. For God's sake Eamonn couldn't get out of yer mans way.

As for Tadhg Kennelly's approach in the AIF, he was probably verging on the borderline alright but still no harm done, he was trying to soften up the Cork lads from the outset. Cork should have nailed him later in the game. Whealan on MacGarrity in 06 was another borderline one.

It's worthwhile listening to David Brady when he is co commenting he tells it as it is and a hard tackle every now and again IMO is ok as long as there is no vindictiveness behind it.

This toughness has been in the game since day 1 (just as Mickey Ned) so 'harping' on about it isn't going to solve it or accusing one county over another isn't doing any good either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc9VY7BKKCw

I agree with nearly all of that, but I disagree with the bit in bold. That last elbow was pure spiteful. It was late, it was pure elbow and it was on the jaw. After a man kicked a point.

That one was a straight red in my opinion.

When you see that incident, the previous two suddenly get a different slant as well. Was the trip just reckless, and was the other shoulder to the face just slightly high?

Hound

Quote from: highorlow on July 05, 2010, 10:24:37 AM

There was no vindictiveness in his tackles.
The elbow to Kelly's head after he had kicked the point was pure vindictiveness

AZOffaly

Quote from: blanketattack on July 05, 2010, 10:29:47 AM
A more pertinent question is how come every Kerry incident is highlighted in full yet incidents by other teams are left unhighlighted e.g. Derek Kavanagh on Gooch, Carr pushing the ref, the Limerick back belting Kieran O'Leary twice?

I don't think it's as bad as that either blanketattack, but I do think you are right. Players from every team get picked up by the TV and suddenly the CCCC feels the need to investigate, and players from every team get away with incidents which are not picked up by the Sunday Game and they never get punished.

It's the system that's wrong, the treatment is more or less consistent when the Sunday Game decides it needs looking at.

highorlow

QuoteThat last elbow was pure spiteful. It was late, it was pure elbow and it was on the jaw. After a man kicked a point.

I might have to look at that one again, when i saw it last night I thought the Limerick guys head jumped up into O'Shea's elbow.

I think the point about the ref is getting lost here. He was poor that he didn't have O'Shea on a yellow first off, for the trip even if it was a bit accidental.

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 05, 2010, 10:16:07 AM
Quote from: haveaharp on July 05, 2010, 10:08:56 AM
Is it time to use todays technology and have a ref behind a monitor with a radio link to the ref on the pitch ? Too many poor decisions are directly affecting the outcome.

For that type of incident, I don't think so.. Those were very clear cut, but a lot of them would be subjective. One man's opinion would be different on the Eamon O'Hara incident, for example. So who is the actual referee? I'd agree with instant replay for points/wides etc, but not for 'opinion' judgments.

Realtime review of transgressions would be a nightmare and not actually needed. All that is needed is a citing officer assigned to go through tapes post match with the authority to lay charges on any aggressive transgressions that were missed. 1 month or more suspensions handed out routinely would soon stop O'Se and others from deliberately lifting their elbows knowing the certainty of the suspension to follow even if they get away with it on the day. The current system for review is too haphazard and inconsistent (and, more importantly, too open to outside influence) to be effective.

Seemed to work in cleaning up the AFL no end...

Chris agus Snoop

Anthony Tohill looked a broken man, the bully boy tactics succeeded. Pathetic how they tried to insinuate that Kelly giving him a little shoulder was provocation enough to get a muay thai elbow to the side of your face.

The refs let Kerry get away with murder because they know if the yerras take a dislike to you, then youre going to be objected to whenever Kerry make a final. And since kerry make a lot of finals you can forget about being one of the top refs.

Jinxy

Quote from: highorlow on July 05, 2010, 10:35:34 AM
QuoteThat last elbow was pure spiteful. It was late, it was pure elbow and it was on the jaw. After a man kicked a point.

I might have to look at that one again, when i saw it last night I thought the Limerick guys head jumped up into O'Shea's elbow.

I think the point about the ref is getting lost here. He was poor that he didn't have O'Shea on a yellow first off, for the trip even if it was a bit accidental.

Ah come on now!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on July 05, 2010, 10:36:43 AM
Is it time to use todays technology and have a ref behind a monitor with a radio link to the ref on the pitch ? Too many poor decisions are directly affecting the outcome.

For that type of incident, I don't think so.. Those were very clear cut, but a lot of them would be subjective. One man's opinion would be different on the Eamon O'Hara incident, for example. So who is the actual referee? I'd agree with instant replay for points/wides etc, but not for 'opinion' judgments.

Realtime review of transgressions would be a nightmare and not actually needed. All that is needed is a citing officer assigned to go through tapes post match with the authority to lay charges on any aggressive transgressions that were missed. 1 month or more suspensions handed out routinely would soon stop O'Se and others from deliberately lifting their elbows knowing the certainty of the suspension to follow even if they get away with it on the day. The current system for review is too haphazard and inconsistent (and, more importantly, too open to outside influence) to be effective.

I agree, but you'd have to have all matches taped for consistency as well.

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: highorlow on July 05, 2010, 10:35:34 AM

You must be on the wind up highorlow  ::)

"...I thought the Limerick guys head jumped up into O'Shea's elbow"
"...for the trip even if it was a bit accidental"

Are you Mickey Harte in disguise?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Chris agus Snoop on July 05, 2010, 10:39:45 AM
Anthony Tohill looked a broken man, the bully boy tactics succeeded. Pathetic how they tried to insinuate that Kelly giving him a little shoulder was provocation enough to get a muay thai elbow to the side of your face.

The refs let Kerry get away with murder because they know if the yerras take a dislike to you, then youre going to be objected to whenever Kerry make a final. And since kerry make a lot of finals you can forget about being one of the top refs.

Ara come off it. There's no point trying to have a sensible debate if you come out with stuff like that. Does Galvin 'get away with murder'? Quite the opposite I'd suggest.

highorlow

QuoteQuote
That last elbow was pure spiteful. It was late, it was pure elbow and it was on the jaw. After a man kicked a point.

Ah come on now!

Shur ye Meath lads will sort Kerry out when the time comes.

highorlow

I still blame the ref / linesman / umpire and not Kerry or O'Shea.

The Limerick corner back was pulling and dragging out of the Gooch all the way through the match, this wasn't pciked up by the officials or highlighted on the Sunday game.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on July 05, 2010, 10:36:43 AM

spot on
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either