Tour de France 2010

Started by Tony Baloney, July 02, 2010, 11:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Starts tomorrow with the prologue in Rotterdam and finishes in Paris on 25th July.

This is Armstrong's last tour.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tyrones own

Can't wait... been looking forward to it for weeks....Go Lance ;D
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

maddog

Looking forward to it myself. The course looks perfect for Contador although i cant imagine Lance being too far away now that he's not on the same team. Should be peaking at the right time. 52km time trial could be interesting if there isnt more than a minute between them on the second last day. Cavendish should do well over the first 5-6 days. Tyler Farrar could be the one to challenge him in the sprints. Hopefully Roche will be able to improve on his impressive debut last year (finished 23rd overall)

delboy

Quote from: Minder on July 02, 2010, 11:55:26 PM
Boring........

Why take time out of your life to post that  ???

Looking forward to the tour  :)

tyroneboi

What chance does Bradley Wiggins have? Always admired think he is a fantastic athlete hope he goes well again this year. I'm sure Cavendish will win his usual few events as well. Any interviews I have seen him in he always seems to be more honest and articulate than your usual sportsman.

Tony Baloney

Decent start for Contador and Armstrong. Early days but I'm sure the auld fella was happy to gain a psychological advantage over his team member and foe from last year.

Bit of a balls up by Team Sky sending Wiggins out in the bad weather!

Prologue result:
1 Fabian Cancellara (Swi/Saxo Bank) 10 minutes, 0 seconds
2 Tony Martin (Ger/HTC-Columbia) +10 seconds
3 David Millar (GB/Garmin) +20"
4 Lance Armstrong (USA/RadioShack) +22"
5 Geraint Thomas (GB/Team Sky) +23"
6 Alberto Contador (Spa/Astana) +27"
7 Tyler Ferrar (USA/Garmin) +28"
7 Levi Lepheimer (USA/RadioShack) +28"

Selected others:
77 Bradley Wiggins (GB/Team Sky) +56"
127 Mark Cavendish (GB/HTC-Columbia) +1'10"

gerry

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 03, 2010, 10:14:25 PM
Decent start for Contador and Armstrong. Early days but I'm sure the auld fella was happy to gain a psychological advantage over his team member and foe from last year.

Prologue result:

Selected others:

tony you forgot someone, surely we have seen enought brits with the footie and tennis

Irish:

47, Nicolas Roche (Ag2r La Mondiale) at 49 secs

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gerry on July 03, 2010, 10:18:36 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 03, 2010, 10:14:25 PM

Prologue result:

Selected others:

tony you forgot someone, surely we have seen enought brits with the footie and tennis

Irish:

47, Nicolas Roche (Ag2r La Mondiale) at 49 secs
Apologies offered to Roche. Hoked out from BBC Sport so he'll not be a "selected other".

gerry

looking forward to this more so than the world cup, hopefully nicolas can push on from his great tour last year.

gerry

three crashes  within the last mile with the road totally blocked 500 yards from the end

Tony Baloney

A crash-strewn final three kilometres of the first road stage of the Tour de France was won by Alessandro Petacchi in Brussels on Sunday.

Mark Cavendish (HTC-Columbia) and Oscar Freire (Rabobank) went wide on a right-hand bend with 3,000m to go of the 223.5-kilometres first stage from Rotterdam to the Belgian capital, before a second - and this time more major - crash one kilometre later wiped out Tyler Farrar's hopes of an American success on Independence Day.

Petacchi was the major benefactor, winning the sprint for the line with the 20 or so riders to emerge unscathed from the second collision.

Cavendish's HTC-Columbia lead-out man Mark Renshaw was second and third went to Thor Hushovd (Cervelo Test Team), the winner of the points classification in 2009.

Petacchi takes the green jersey from Briton David Millar (Team Garmin-Transitions), whose progress earlier in the day was temporarily halted by a collision with a dog.

As the major incidents happened in the final stages, all riders were awarded the same time, so there was no effect on the general classification standings.

Fabian Cancellara (Team Saxo Bank) retained the race leader's yellow jersey, with Tony Martin (HTC-Columbia) second, Millar third, Lance Armstrong (Team RadioShack) fourth, Geraint Thomas (Team Sky) fifth and race favourite Alberto Contador (Astana) sixth.

Team Sky leader Bradley Wiggins and Andy and Frank Schleck (both Team Saxo Bank) remained around one minute off the pace.

gerry

45.     ROCHE Nicolas     81     AG2R LA MONDIALE     5h 20' 27"     + 00' 49"

Tony Baloney

More carnage again today in the wet.

The organisers got hammered for making them ride on narrow wet roads. There are even a few
cobblestones tossed into the mix - nice to ride on in the wet no doubt!

------------------------------

Crashes marred or enlivened the second day in succession of the Tour de France, depending on whether you were involved in them or watching them.
Many of the favourites for the race hit the ground at some point (sometimes more than once) during a topsy-turvy, 125-mile (201km) run across Belgium from Brussels to Spa in persistent rain. A French rider, Sylvain Chavanel from the Quick Step team, took advantage of the chaos to beat the main field by almost four minutes and claim the yellow jersey in the process.
It was a supreme, partly solo, effort by Chavanel, who became the first Frenchman to claim the maillot jaune since 2008, but most of the post-stage chatter focused on who had gone down and how. The amiable American rider Christian Vande Velde, who is so accident-prone these days it is surprising he has not fitted his bike with stabilisers, was inevitably the main casualty. Lance Armstrong, Bradley Wiggins, David Millar and Cadel Evans also fell. But the greatest drama involved Team Saxo Bank's Andy Schleck, the runner-up in the 2009 Tour, who crashed twice in 200 metres with 25km to go.
The more serious of the two incidents saw a Quick Step rider face-plant on a slippery descent, a motorcyclist follow him down and then Schleck collide with him. The 25-year-old from Luxembourg was bloody, his kit was shredded and he was holding his left elbow. He mainly looked as if he wanted his mummy to come and pick him up in the car. He was also now three minutes behind his rivals, a deficit that would have been insurmountable considering the woeful time trial he rode on Saturday. "I had a real shit day!" he tweeted on that occasion.
To his credit Schleck rode like a maniac and managed to reconnect with the main group. This was partly because the peloton had become disorganised following the crashes but mostly because his Saxo Bank team-mate Fabian Cancellara neutralised the pace, thus surrendering his hard-won yellow jersey.
The peloton often shows an unlikely collective unity. In the same spirit it was "decided" not to contest the sprint for second place after Chavanel as a protest to dangerous riding conditions in Holland and Belgium. The South African sprinter Robbie Hunter was particularly forthright on the subject: "I say it again, no Grand Tour has any business in these northern countries and f**k anybody who says different. See how much you guys like hitting the deck at 60kph."
Lance Armstrong was, unusually for him, more measured. "There was something on the road and we just couldn't stay on our bikes, I've never seen anything like that," said the 38-year-old. "We kept passing guys all the way down, it was surreal. Mine was more of a slide; I've got some good abrasions but it was so slippery you just slid, there was not much impact. On days like today I wonder why I came off the beach but I will be back at it tomorrow."
It was a sad way to end another day of racing in the Low Countries that had mostly been notable for the ferocious passion of the roadside support. The crowds were out again today, lining the course three-deep for much of the route, despite it surely being one of the more spiteful 136 days of rain they are said to experience each year. On the six climbs that dotted the last 40 miles the intensity was more like what you would expect for a decisive Alpine ascent in the final week of the Tour.
Going into the stage there had been high hopes for the British contingent. Mark Cavendish awoke to a headline in L'Equipe that called him "Le Pyromane", which translates either as "the arsonist" or, if you want to be more charitable, as "the rabble rouser" for his role in one of the crashes on stage one. However, there was an expectation that, if he made it over the final bumps coming into Spa, he could claim a sprint victory. The other scenario for the day saw 40 of the lead riders testing each other out on the first hills of the 2010 race, and Team Sky talked bullishly of having all nine of their contingent in the decisive group.
Of course Chavanel got the jump on all of them after leading a breakaway of eight riders almost from the off. It is hard not to be moved when any of these long-suffering escapees has his day. "The happiest day in my career," he said sweetly. "It's great today because I have been unlucky so many times, always attacking, but the race catches me 1-2km from the line. Today the bunch decided not to chase me but that's life."

Tony Baloney

For you gerry....

34.   ROCHE Nicolas   81   AG2R LA MONDIALE   10h 05' 11"   + 03' 46"