Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 12, 2010, 04:16:11 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on July 12, 2010, 04:07:35 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 12, 2010, 02:04:22 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 12, 2010, 01:57:48 AM
Ah come on Sligonian there is absolutely no excuse for that carry on. The referee did make a monumental c**k up but he still should not be subjected to that sort of intimidation from mindless eejits.

Louth were robbed of what would've been their greatest day in donkey's years so you can understand the level of fustration of people but you have to show a level of self control - for me Peter Fitzpatrick deserves a lot of credit for his actions. The footage of the young Louth garsún in tears when what I presume was his father was being held by a security guard was heartbreaking. That man should be absolutely ashamed of himself.

It was no c**k up, ffs if he wanted to give louth fair play he would of asked the umpires. In no way was this a mistake. Its far to PC and Niave to give the ref that excuse.

Ive never even come close to this with refs but fck me i can understand. If this had happened Sligo in 07 i would of went ballistic and i dont know what I would have done.

When people can't control their emotions and how it affects their behaviour - most societies lock em up.
Well i couldnt control my emotions that day because i went ballistic in a very positive way. Never got close to running on to a pitch after a ref tbh as you have to control yourself and think of the consequences, i have shouted in abuse at refs as we all have in our lifetime, but i think it was unconcious reaction yday, they just lost the run of themselves, they should be punished but not banned for life as it wasnt assault. Maybe 48 weeks or something like that.

What do you class as assault?
The Ref was pushed and pulled by fans and one guy in a black shirt gave him a dig into the lower back over near the tunnel after giving him a shoulder a few seconds before that..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 12, 2010, 04:23:29 PM
Ah come on Sligonian there is absolutely no excuse for that carry on. The referee did make a monumental c**k up but he still should not be subjected to that sort of intimidation from mindless eejits.

Louth were robbed of what would've been their greatest day in donkey's years so you can understand the level of fustration of people but you have to show a level of self control - for me Peter Fitzpatrick deserves a lot of credit for his actions. The footage of the young Louth garsún in tears when what I presume was his father was being held by a security guard was heartbreaking. That man should be absolutely ashamed of himself.

It was no c**k up, ffs if he wanted to give louth fair play he would of asked the umpires. In no way was this a mistake. Its far to PC and Niave to give the ref that excuse.

Ive never even come close to this with refs but fck me i can understand. If this had happened Sligo in 07 i would of went ballistic and i dont know what I would have done.

When people can't control their emotions and how it affects their behaviour - most societies lock em up.
Well i couldnt control my emotions that day because i went ballistic in a very positive way. Never got close to running on to a pitch after a ref tbh as you have to control yourself and think of the consequences, i have shouted in abuse at refs as we all have in our lifetime, but i think it was unconcious reaction yday, they just lost the run of themselves, they should be punished but not banned for life as it wasnt assault. Maybe 48 weeks or something like that.

The Ref was pushed and pulled by fans and one guy in a black shirt gave him a dig into the lower back over near the tunnel after giving him a shoulder a few seconds before that..

A intentional striking action (slap or closed fist) against someone was my interpretation of assault. But you have to connect aswell, if you dont connect it was attempted assault in my view.

If you were out on a saturday and went to garda station to say someone ran after ya and gave you a shoulder or pushed ya but they barely connected, theyd laugh.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ross4life

I bet when the Ref & all those invading Fan's woke up this morning they would be thinking "i fcuked up big time"
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Hardy

I bet it's more like:

The ref: Why do I do this?

The scum: I could be going to jail.
(Me: I certainly hope so).

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Hardy on July 12, 2010, 04:36:39 PM
I bet it's more like:

The ref: Why do I do this?

The scum: I could be going to jail.
(Me: I certainly hope so).

The ref has a great game, very few mentions of it.  He has a bad game and he will never hear the end of it.  An awful thankless job.  All the more reason to introduce technology at the top level to take some of the pressure off the referees shoulders.

Maguire01

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 12, 2010, 03:56:52 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 12, 2010, 03:44:29 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 12, 2010, 03:36:03 PM
The only incident i condemn yday is the bottle thrown at the steward (im glad to hear hes ok), the rest as far as im concerned was handbags and intimidation and is been blown of all proportion imo.
Disgraceful that you won't condemn what happened the ref too.

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 12, 2010, 03:36:03 PM
Assault is not how i would describe it.
Thankfully you're not the law.

A standard definition of assault:
an intentional act by one person that creates an apprehension in another of an imminent harmful or offensive contact
Well then all sports are assault so. Will de jong be done after his karate kick? Was that a million miles worse than what any louth fan did. 

As far as im concerned the ref brought it on himself, no sympathy for him whatsoever.
If you can't differentiate between what happens on the field during a game and what happened after yesterday's game, there's not much point in debating the incident.

Maguire01

Quote from: rionach 4 on July 12, 2010, 04:09:15 PM
Peter McKenna , Croke park official on the radio stated that the protection of the ref was adequately addressed .
Maybe he was referring to the fact that Sludden was flanked by Marty Duffy... and Marty Duffy looks a bit like Barry McGuigan.

stibhan

The referee hardly had an agenda against Louth to pursue. It was sheer incompetence rather than anything else, and at least he's admitted his mistake. FFS the man is an amateur who gives up his time and effort to come down to officiate games--whilst it's fine to criticise his performance for anyone to suggest that he deserves what he gets in being assaulted is an absolute disgrace and probably comes from someone who's never picked up a whistle in their life.

pkerin

Ahhhh the GAA at its best. Sticking its head in the sand.
The GAA have confirmed that they have no powers to order a replay of the Leinster Senior Football final after a wrongly awarded goal gave Meath a controversial victory over Louth.

In a statement, the organisation confirmed that referee Martin Sludden acknowledged that he was wrong to let the goal stand but they have no powers to change the result.
But they do have power to go after players using video footage long after the game is over. But they do not have power to fix a wrong. Boy they really have opened up a can of worms for themselfs.

AZOffaly

Quote from: pkerin on July 12, 2010, 05:10:49 PM
Ahhhh the GAA at its best. Sticking its head in the sand.
The GAA have confirmed that they have no powers to order a replay of the Leinster Senior Football final after a wrongly awarded goal gave Meath a controversial victory over Louth.

In a statement, the organisation confirmed that referee Martin Sludden acknowledged that he was wrong to let the goal stand but they have no powers to change the result.
But they do have power to go after players using video footage long after the game is over. But they do not have power to fix a wrong. Boy they really have opened up a can of worms for themselfs.

This is not news, and is not inconsistent. Even in that incident with Laois back in 1995 the GAA said they couldn't order a replay, so Laois offered one instead.

pkerin

Well Meath are to meet tonight. Lets see what they do.

Siggy

Awful carry on altogether.

My heart goes out to Sludden he made a monumental error and has to live with that for the rest of is life.

The vermin that attacked him should hang their headsi n shame and hopefully the jus=dge will throw the book at them.

Any truth that Sludden was so poorly protected was becausse the eventsec guys were at the Oxyegen festival?

If so poor once again from HQ.

seafoid

The Larries would never have accepted that goal even if it meant winning a Leinster title.
Neither would Mayo if they were in Leinster. It would just not go with the torture of being Mayo footballers.

seafoid

Quote from: Siggy on July 12, 2010, 05:30:15 PM
Awful carry on altogether.

My heart goes out to Sludden he made a monumental error and has to live with that for the rest of is life.

The vermin that attacked him should hang their headsi n shame and hopefully the jus=dge will throw the book at them.

Any truth that Sludden was so poorly protected was becausse the eventsec guys were at the Oxyegen festival?

If so poor once again from HQ.

In fairness to sludden he is not in the same league as John Denton. He will probably get big matches to ref again and the Louth tragedy will be just a memory. He won't be hated by generations of Louth people if they get a replay. 

ross matt

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 12, 2010, 04:32:20 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 12, 2010, 04:23:29 PM

A intentional striking action (slap or closed fist) against someone was my interpretation of assault. But you have to connect aswell, if you dont connect it was attempted assault in my view.

If you were out on a saturday and went to garda station to say someone ran after ya and gave you a shoulder or pushed ya but they barely connected, theyd laugh.
Sligonian the sad thing here is that you're not even takin the piss. Happy for Sligo in general to have performed so well this year but you do them no favours spoutin shite like that.