CONNACHT FINAL ROS v SLIGO 18th July 2010

Started by Rossfan, June 28, 2010, 08:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Fair play to you Sligonian. Well done to Roscommon but I certainly feel for Sligo, very hard on them to have knocked out Mayo and Galway and still not win the title.

IolarCoisCuain

Fair play to you Sligonian. A noble and sporting reaction, and it can't have been easy for you to write it.

Tatler Jack

Fair play Sligonian for your generous post and also the insightful analysis - youknow your football even ifyou misjudged Donie's potential. I know how passionate you are about Sligo and you should not apologise for that. You will get a bit of slagging  for the next few days but you have broad shoulders!!

I was not able to go to the game today and indeed to follow the lead up to it - unfortunately a family illness means that footaball has to take a back seat. I was really impressed with the performance today ad while I did not expect a win neither did I thin we were ever 4/1 outsiders - I saw enough in the Leitrim game that showed me a team was taking shape. I think our league performances were misleading as we were badly prepared for it and we did not have a settled side. Fergie now has had 2 months to work properly with the team, players have returned from injury and generally the level of fitness and confidence has increased. We are still a bit raw and inexperienced but we compensated today with passion, work rate and a never say die attitude.

Hard luck to Sligo - normally I would want them to win a CF and it is tough to lose after 2 great wins. However they did not suddenly become a bad team and I would ecpect them to win their qualifier.

Again wel done to all the team, management and supporters. I was sorry not to be there but the result has lifted the whole county. This was our AI for this year.

ross4life

Fair play sligonian, i hope we see two connacht teams in the last 8 if ye beat down, its the least ye deserve! who knows we may lock horns again this year
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Tatler Jack on July 18, 2010, 11:28:04 PM
Fair play Sligonian for your generous post and also the insightful analysis - youknow your football even ifyou misjudged Donie's potential. I know how passionate you are about Sligo and you should not apologise for that. You will get a bit of slagging  for the next few days but you have broad shoulders!!

I was not able to go to the game today and indeed to follow the lead up to it - unfortunately a family illness means that footaball has to take a back seat. I was really impressed with the performance today ad while I did not expect a win neither did I thin we were ever 4/1 outsiders - I saw enough in the Leitrim game that showed me a team was taking shape. I think our league performances were misleading as we were badly prepared for it and we did not have a settled side. Fergie now has had 2 months to work properly with the team, players have returned from injury and generally the level of fitness and confidence has increased. We are still a bit raw and inexperienced but we compensated today with passion, work rate and a never say die attitude.

Hard luck to Sligo - normally I would want them to win a CF and it is tough to lose after 2 great wins. However they did not suddenly become a bad team and I would ecpect them to win their qualifier.

Again wel done to all the team, management and supporters. I was sorry not to be there but the result has lifted the whole county. This was our AI for this year.
Well Tatler Jack I will never forget your words after 07 Connacht Final, and whilst im absolutely rawly depressed tonight it eases the pain to know a lad like yourself is on the other side of the coin. I did misjudge Shine, fck sake cant believe how wrong i was on that. At least i got cregg right and heneghan on Harrison. But all in all the 3 games ye saw us meant ye knew alot more about us than we knew about ye and it showed in the tactical stakes. I learned a hell of alot about ye today. The main positive for Sligo is we guarnteed underdogs tag for the rest of eternity.

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ross4life on July 18, 2010, 11:39:28 PM
Fair play sligonian, i hope we see two connaucht teams in the last 8 if ye beat down, its the least ye deserve! who knows we may lock horns again this year

Congrats as i said to Tatler Jack it eases the pain to know your on the other side of the coin. Enjoy Tonight and the rest of the summer. Today has crushed Sligo football, as i said to lads off the board, this game will put us back light yrs or forward light yrs.  There was an opportunity today to get rid of all the mental bagage in Connacht and instead it was reinforced. I cant expect 30 human beings to lift it in 6 days. Im going to do my best to gee them up all week on here and HS, but i doubt theyll read as theyll be expecting a roasting, which no way will  i give them. Its too easy to kick them when there down. Chin up i say to them and come out out fight Down like the Rossies did today. I'll be there the next day as will Dad. You will never walk alone. NEVER.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ross matt

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 18, 2010, 11:04:01 PM
Sincerest congrats to Roscommon, I  thought ye were absolutely outstanding, Cathal Cregg no12 was awesome, what a player, he destroyed us on breaks in the middle, ran at us, dogged, intense running, he never let up, his engine was unreal. Donie Shine take a bow, put me in my place, was really impressed from play, his free taking at the held firm. 2 midfielders bullyed us around. Corner back on Kelly outstanding,

FOD tactics were spot on, he knew our weakness at CHB,FB and went for the throat. His tactics to nullify kelly were spot on only for 30 secs with the goal chance did it not work but for the rest worked a treat, Kelly was getting ball in the corners, or having to run back out the field.

The thing that shocked me the most was Roscommon in possesion, ye ran at us at pace, and it took serious effort for our lads to slow ye down or break down the moves, where was this all yr, what a day for it to come together. Fair play to yee.

Im immensely proud of Costello on our side, was outstanding, only for him we could of got a hiding but he kept us in touch. I said earlier on the week that I would know after 5mins if we'd win, and i have to say i knew we were in trouble. I feel sorry for the huge Sligo Support. Roscommon had there homework done, and negated us to the max. We didnt move the ball quick enough. And finally Roscommon only attacked our left wing to get frees on the right side of the field to suit Shine, under pressure that showed serious composure.

Congrats Roscommon and there fans who once i had a great praise for. Sligo players you will never walk alone, not with me and Dad around. Chin up and face another fight the next day, best team won today no doubt. Sligeach abu.
f**k the sympathy. If you were'nt so arrogant beforehand you wouldnt be having to stuff yourself with humble pie tonight so you can continue to contribute to the board. I feel sorry for intellignet Sligo posters like Seanie. I know the Sligo set up extremely well and they're a grounded bunch. Tis only the likes of you spouting shite like you've an assembly line like Tyrone coming though that makes people want to rub salt in the wounds.

paddypastit

Firstly the best of congrats to Roscommon - best team on the day, fully deserving winners of the match and rightly proud Connacnt champions.

On the way out of McHale Pk today there was a lad on the phone telling someone that "they were technically the best team on paper". He was wearing a white shirt so I'm taking it he's from Sligo. Sadly for us, football is played in grass - that must be where we went wrong!!.

Seriously though, while I'm disappointed, I'm not overly suprised. I don't agree with the view expressed here by some and indeed I believe on TV this afternoon that Sligo were complacent and thought they only had to turn up.  That is a lazy view expressed by people who were probably themselves the ones saying that but who don't know the first thing about what Sligo were thinking or feeling... or indeed what many, or indeed any, team(s) might be thinking.

The starting point for Sligo today was in their heads alright but it wasn't cockiness - it was the fear of failure; the "what if we f*** it up now" thought that gets into the back of the head and once there can't be gotten out. Remember that no Sligo team ever in the history of senior intercounty football has been the favourites in a senior championship decider.  Think about that for a second - that's a lot of waiting history to be afraid to screw up on, and it only needs that fear be in a few spots in a team to create the critical weaknesses. Whereas Sligo today had to deal with the fear of losing Roscommon had no concern other than to go for it and so they did.   

In terms of what happened next, Sligo got hosed in the middle of the park.  Early in the championship, the two midfielders had the better of things but we had problems with breaks. I would say that as the championship progressed the midfielders were finding it tougher but we improved on the breaks. Today both midfielders were poor and we couldn't bribe a break.

Behind that we did what we didn't do in any game of recent times - gave away a lot of frees. Add these two together - the failure to win primary or secondary possesion in the middle third and giving away eight odd scorable frees (even if they weren't all converted) and, well you had to be in trouble.

All that said when Sligo got level at 12 - 12 the force was with them and they could have been expected to kick on. They both missed chances and turned over ball. Having hauled themselves back into it, they lacked the necessary composure and 'snatched' at everything instead of keeping the ball, working the openings or drawing the frees. Credit Roscommon with forcing themselves back on Sligo to prevent them pushing on but Sligo had the opportunity and didn't take it.

While it was a good loud hard fought championship match, I think some of the reactions on here to both the match and the "emergence of a new force" are well over cooked. It was indeed close and exciting and a real contest throughout but it was no classic.  There were some fine individual scores and a small number of outstanding performances, but there were long periods of aimless play, a lot of mistakes, a lot of bunching and going round in circles and no real shape to a lot of what either side did. Both teams will look at quite a number of individuals and wonder what were they doing?

This morning we did not know how good Sligo could be and all we found out is that they cannot consistently play to the level that we have seen since April and that a number of the weaknesses that we might have feared still do require attention  or in some cases time to mature. The fact that Roscommon beat them doesn't make them a super team and a cold analysis will conclude that victory was down to some exceptional individual performances, some that might have been anticipated and hoped for, others not.

Make no mistake though, they were fully deserving of the win today and even though Sligo 'could have' pushed on and won, it would have been illl deserved. I don't think though that their victory is a sign of greater strenght in depth in Connacht and I would fear greatly for both sides in their next encounters, for very different reasons - hopefully I'm wrong on that so we'll leave the in depth analyses until the season is over.

come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

ross matt

Just back. Never saw it coming. Expected a decent performance and a good match (both of which happened) but not a win.

Nobody deserves this more than Fergal O'Donnell. Only in his late 30s but has been on a successful minor Ross side, Captained their senior win in 01, managed the minors to Connacht and AI success in 06 and now today landed a senior connacht against all odds with a raw young side that were relegated to div 4 earlier this season. Added to all this he is the most helpful, modest, dignified and respectful person you could ever meet. Runs in his entire family.

The Roscommon players of course deserve huge plaudits. They showed not just heart but a willingness to confidently take the game to Sligo rather than just stopping them. Finneran had his match of matches at midfield. Limited and lacks pace but his perserveracnce and sheer honesty meant he got his hands on so much primary possession he starved the Sligo midfield of same. Karol Mannion beside him kicked very accurate ball in to Shine. But it was the midfield breaks where Ross really cleaned up and yet that's where I expected Sligo to thrive most. David Casey cleaned up here and drove forward brilliantly in the first half. Cathal Cregg at wing forward got through the most work on the pitch and delivered on his consistent underage form. David Keenan on the other wing also won a huge amount of breaks. Shine looked a class apart. Apart from his excellent place kicking he won ball over his head and was surprisingly quick out to low ball. Sligo never counteracted this which meant apaprt from distributing Donie also kicked 3 from play.

Sligo looked flat and maybe felt that because they always finish strong they would just hang in there and do so again. I even thought myself that they would. Their 2 points just before half time looked ominous. Kelly was well marked by Seanie Mac even thiugh he tried his heart out. The Ross keeper Claffey made a great save off him and also his kick outs were superb. O'Hara was very poor. Wandered up 3 times beside Shine in the forst half to thrash talk him when he was getting ready to take a free kick rather than concentrating on his own game. Costellow kicked 5 amazing points. The 2 corner backs were brilliant as usual. Brehony started well but Dineen got to grips with him and nullified him as the match went on. That was crucial in the winning of the match because Brehony is vital in terms of supply to the inside and general score taking.

I think Roscommon played as if they had nothing to lose and Sligo didint know how to handle this as they expected Ross to play a cautious stopping style match. That is why it was such a great match to watch. Both sides kicked excellent pointns, executed great high fielding and tackling and generally played theie hearts out. I think Ross are still very raw and they will still enter the quarter finals as outsiders. But an u-21 and senior title this year is significant progress after all the drama off the field and the drubbings on it these last few years. Sligo have 6 days to regroup but they are a much better side than Down. They will be sickened after today but not enough to throw in the towel. They will progress further I feel.

McHale park was class today and I would say that even if Ross lost. Finally happy for the real Ross supporters who followed them through thick and thin.  Cant count myself among them as I rarely get to their matches anymore and wouldnt know the players nearly as well as the \Ross lads that regularly post here like Ryano, Ross4life, the other Ross, Turlough, Beard, Tatler, Spectator etc so they should really enjoy their day in the sun.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Tatler Jack on July 18, 2010, 11:28:04 PM
This was our AI for this year.

It doesn't have to be Tatler. Take a look at who's left in the Championship when you get a chance. You'll see a lot of teams that put their pants on one leg at a time, just like you do. No reason why it has to end in a fortnight. The championship is like the cat on a hot tin roof - it's all about staying on for as long as you can. Don't put any horizon on ambition.

Hope the family get well soon.

caismirt

Congrats to Ros, great performance overall and I think ye'll put it up to whoever ye meet next.

As a Sligoman I'm disappointed but still alright. I thought it was a fantastic match, much better then the rubbish that was on before it. I'm looking at you Ulster. I expected a lot more from Monaghan, anyways thats OT.

I thought we lost it ourselves today. Our defence was terrible and they are usually so good. Lazy lazy tackles all day and they kept giving the Ros men too much time on the ball. Where was the hard persistent tackling our defenders have being at for the past 3 years ?

Pulled ourselves back togeather in the second half but still made some really lazy tackles, giving away stupid frees.

Shine was excellent but I was not impressed with his Ronaldo impressions for the last 5 minutes. I understand them but I really hate that shite.

It was a missed opportunity surely but I for one amn't taking it too badly. I think this Sligo team can make it to the semi's or ,lord forbid, the final depending on the draw we get.

stephenite

Just watched the game there - good match, great credit to Roscommon for the win, after the league they had. It's some turn around from the performance at the same venue in last years cahmpionship opener also.

Hope all the regulars on here have enjoyed the celebrations-ye deserve it

Hedley Lamarr

Congrats to Roscommon and Sligo on producing an exciting game that went own to the wire.

Best game of the championship so far. Some great scores. 
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

seafoid

There were Finnerans, O'Garas and Keegans on both the 1980 team and the team that won yesterday. Are any of them related?

jjjshabadoojnr

Quote from: paddypastit on July 18, 2010, 11:51:55 PM
Firstly the best of congrats to Roscommon - best team on the day, fully deserving winners of the match and rightly proud Connacnt champions.

On the way out of McHale Pk today there was a lad on the phone telling someone that "they were technically the best team on paper". He was wearing a white shirt so I'm taking it he's from Sligo. Sadly for us, football is played in grass - that must be where we went wrong!!.

Seriously though, while I'm disappointed, I'm not overly suprised. I don't agree with the view expressed here by some and indeed I believe on TV this afternoon that Sligo were complacent and thought they only had to turn up.  That is a lazy view expressed by people who were probably themselves the ones saying that but who don't know the first thing about what Sligo were thinking or feeling... or indeed what many, or indeed any, team(s) might be thinking.

The starting point for Sligo today was in their heads alright but it wasn't cockiness - it was the fear of failure; the "what if we f*** it up now" thought that gets into the back of the head and once there can't be gotten out. Remember that no Sligo team ever in the history of senior intercounty football has been the favourites in a senior championship decider.  Think about that for a second - that's a lot of waiting history to be afraid to screw up on, and it only needs that fear be in a few spots in a team to create the critical weaknesses. Whereas Sligo today had to deal with the fear of losing Roscommon had no concern other than to go for it and so they did.   

In terms of what happened next, Sligo got hosed in the middle of the park.  Early in the championship, the two midfielders had the better of things but we had problems with breaks. I would say that as the championship progressed the midfielders were finding it tougher but we improved on the breaks. Today both midfielders were poor and we couldn't bribe a break.

Behind that we did what we didn't do in any game of recent times - gave away a lot of frees. Add these two together - the failure to win primary or secondary possesion in the middle third and giving away eight odd scorable frees (even if they weren't all converted) and, well you had to be in trouble.

All that said when Sligo got level at 12 - 12 the force was with them and they could have been expected to kick on. They both missed chances and turned over ball. Having hauled themselves back into it, they lacked the necessary composure and 'snatched' at everything instead of keeping the ball, working the openings or drawing the frees. Credit Roscommon with forcing themselves back on Sligo to prevent them pushing on but Sligo had the opportunity and didn't take it.

While it was a good loud hard fought championship match, I think some of the reactions on here to both the match and the "emergence of a new force" are well over cooked. It was indeed close and exciting and a real contest throughout but it was no classic.  There were some fine individual scores and a small number of outstanding performances, but there were long periods of aimless play, a lot of mistakes, a lot of bunching and going round in circles and no real shape to a lot of what either side did. Both teams will look at quite a number of individuals and wonder what were they doing?

This morning we did not know how good Sligo could be and all we found out is that they cannot consistently play to the level that we have seen since April and that a number of the weaknesses that we might have feared still do require attention  or in some cases time to mature. The fact that Roscommon beat them doesn't make them a super team and a cold analysis will conclude that victory was down to some exceptional individual performances, some that might have been anticipated and hoped for, others not.

Make no mistake though, they were fully deserving of the win today and even though Sligo 'could have' pushed on and won, it would have been illl deserved. I don't think though that their victory is a sign of greater strenght in depth in Connacht and I would fear greatly for both sides in their next encounters, for very different reasons - hopefully I'm wrong on that so we'll leave the in depth analyses until the season is over.

I totally agree with that assesment Paddy. This is exactly what i said to a few fellow supporters before the game. I think this fear of failure made them hesitant in possesion and hesistant in the tackle. At one stage in the first half Charlie was well out in front of Heneghan. He hesiatated for some unknown reason and Heneghan won the ball, 15 seconds later it was over the bar from Casey if I remember correctly.
It was the same with the pass. Slow to let it off. Thinking too much about it, whereas against mayo and galway it was let off quickly - more off the cuff.

Hats off to Roscommon, very worthy Champions. Cathal Cregg was my man of the match. He was like Paul Galvin in disguise. Serious breaking ball won. Drove at the sligo defence who had no answer. Cawley, Davey and Harrison tried to shackle him all to no avail. McDermott done very well on kelly (plenty of sneaky jersey pulling in the first half). It appeared that White ticked him twice for this??
McGuire stood off Shine in the first half and he kicked a majestic poit. He got tight to him in the second and he wriggled clear and kicked one off his left. Really if Shine took all his easier scoring chances Roscommon could have won by 3-4 points.

The best team won on the day. Fitting really so close to the passing of Dermot Earley. Congrats Ross.

PS - It was a joy to behold to see so many Sligo fans at the game yesterday. I hope as many continue to give our lads the support they deserve. Maybe with expectations lowered for the Down game and the fear of losing gone we can get back to the performance levels of earlier games.
Sligeach Abu.