CONNACHT FINAL ROS v SLIGO 18th July 2010

Started by Rossfan, June 28, 2010, 08:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocco

Cathel Cregg from Western Gaels (Frenchpark - the last town in Roscommon before Mayo)
[/quote] Ballaghadereen is the last town in ROSCOMMON before Mayo .

heffo

Quote from: muppet on July 18, 2010, 08:57:10 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 18, 2010, 08:48:48 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 18, 2010, 08:46:49 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 18, 2010, 08:28:15 PM
Well done Ros - some turnaround from last year - I was talking to a high profile Mayo player who wouldn't be known for his humilty a couple of days after the Mayo v Ros game last year and he described Ros as worse than an average Mayo senior team

You of course are a paragon of humility.

I can't recall ever rubbishing a team after beating them, so in that context, I am yes

You have form in bad mouthing barely concealed identities from behind your anonymous username and your previous post was more of it.

If indeed your assertion is true then I suggest you open a dictionary and get clarification on what humility means as you seem a little confused

Turlough O Carolan

Just back from McHale. What an electric atmosphere there today. The place was shaking. Amazing performance by Ros to hold out in the end because the momentum was then with Sligo, the wind had really picked up, the decimel levels were through the roof as the magpies smelled victory and the primrose and blue was getting engulfed in a great sea of black and white. Cathal Cregg was heroic today, my man of the match. Won a sight of ball and carried Ros forward when things started to turn. No player gets more criticism in Ros than Finneran and today he was just outstanding. Donie kicked immaculate frees, not just from distance but also with all kinds of noise ringing in his ears. Fergie left it late bringing on some fresh legs but Higgins won the balls that got us those last scores. Sincere hard luck to Sligo. They didn't lose for lack of support. They contributed to a marvelous occasion and as they've done all year when they got going kicked some mighty points. Those who are in charge of McHale had it in excellent shape today. Great stadium. The scenes at the end is something I'll never forget and no matter what happens in qtr final, they have banished away the last ten nightmare years at senior. Come on the Ros.

heffo

Who was the Mayo poster who said Shine was brutal (or words to that effect) when I said he was the best player on the pitch in the first half of the AI U21 semi final?

ross4life

Sligonian said that and said to me many times, "i don't rate shine" i wonder does he think the same tonight
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: heffo on July 18, 2010, 09:10:21 PM
Who was the Mayo poster who said Shine was brutal (or words to that effect) when I said he was the best player on the pitch in the first half of the AI U21 semi final?

It certainly was not me, I was at that game in Breffni and would not say anything but good about Donie Shine.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

muppet

Quote from: heffo on July 18, 2010, 09:02:53 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 18, 2010, 08:57:10 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 18, 2010, 08:48:48 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 18, 2010, 08:46:49 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 18, 2010, 08:28:15 PM
Well done Ros - some turnaround from last year - I was talking to a high profile Mayo player who wouldn't be known for his humilty a couple of days after the Mayo v Ros game last year and he described Ros as worse than an average Mayo senior team

You of course are a paragon of humility.

I can't recall ever rubbishing a team after beating them, so in that context, I am yes

You have form in bad mouthing barely concealed identities from behind your anonymous username and your previous post was more of it.

If indeed your assertion is true then I suggest you open a dictionary and get clarification on what humility means as you seem a little confused

Here's a clue, it doesn't involve bravely bad mouthing people anonymously. So yep, Heffo is out.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

I'm just posting to say congrats to Ros on their win. I'm too sick to say much more. Just go easy on the pisstaking. Enjoy the win.

Bogball XV

I see the Sunday Game thought it was a classic, they must have devoted at least 2 minutes to their coverage of the match.  Maybe it was a busy weekend in the camogie..

Bogball XV

Beard

Jeez, I can't remember a Connacht title coming from nowhere like this before. Great performance, I genuinely did not think they had it in them. Kevin Walsh obviously read my dodgy tactical advice and didn't deploy a sweeper. I just thought Sligo were good enough not to have to resort to those type of tactics.

I had a slight concern over the spine of Sligo's defence before the game but I did not expect them to struggle around the middle. Of all the players I am happiest for Michael Finneran. I know his Dad fairly well and I know he lives for football but I, like many others, felt he wasn't up to inter county standard. It's a great day for him to prove the doubters wrong.

It's a really important step for this team to get a Connacht medal in the bag, probably two years ahead to schedule, and it means they can concentrate of developing as a team without the baggage of having to end a provincial famine. We need Shine to keep on track - we all remember Dereck Duggan scoring 1-7 v Meath and not going on, Seamie O'Neill also did not develop. However alot of these guys have achieved at minor and don't want to be remebered as guys who subsequently underachieved at senior level so there is hunger there. We just need more scoring forwards though. Kilbride and others may help but there has been a lack of forward talent on our last two minor teams so maybe Tony Mac and Gary Wynne need to look at things in that respect.

Finally, hard luck to Sligo, it was never going to be easy to get in the right frame of mind for the game. I thought though that Kevin Walsh was the man to keep Sligo on track. I remember the video about Galway in 1998 and JOM searching the dressing room after the Leitrim game looking for a cup! There is only so much he can do as the manager I suppose.

Seanie, I think all the piss taking is going to be directed at Sligonian so I don't think you will have much to worry about. I wonder does he still not rate Shine  ;D

Tubberman

Absolutely delighted for the Rossies!! (my mothers a Rossie and I lived there for 10 years)
They've had some terrible days in the last few years, and they are well within their rights to savour every minute of what must be the most unlikely provincial win that I can remember - Mayo and Galway Div1, Sligo winning Div3, Ros relegated to Div4. Near enough fairytale.
Shine was brilliant, he will be a Ros hero for years. Missed what would be considered an easy free, then had the balls and confidence to get the winner.
I never really rated Finneran (along with many Ros supporters from what I can gather) but he was brilliant today. Cregg and Casey brilliant througout as well. When Sligo got 4 fantastic long range points, with Costello on fire, I thought they might over-run Ros, but they won the breaks and fully deserved the win.
Sickening for Sligo, but their own fault. They were complacent, no doubt about it. They'll learn (should anyway) and Down isn't a bad draw.
But that's one they'll always feel they left behind.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

rocco

Bernard flynn said on tv yesterday that sligo on their worst day would win by 7/8 points, " up ya boya " . We dont win titles like the one  meath thought they won last weekend ( the one they never won) . At least McSTAY  has some credibility.

SLIGONIAN

Sincerest congrats to Roscommon, I  thought ye were absolutely outstanding, Cathal Cregg no12 was awesome, what a player, he destroyed us on breaks in the middle, ran at us, dogged, intense running, he never let up, his engine was unreal. Donie Shine take a bow, put me in my place, was really impressed from play, his free taking at the held firm. 2 midfielders bullyed us around. Corner back on Kelly outstanding,

FOD tactics were spot on, he knew our weakness at CHB,FB and went for the throat. His tactics to nullify kelly were spot on only for 30 secs with the goal chance did it not work but for the rest worked a treat, Kelly was getting ball in the corners, or having to run back out the field.

The thing that shocked me the most was Roscommon in possesion, ye ran at us at pace, and it took serious effort for our lads to slow ye down or break down the moves, where was this all yr, what a day for it to come together. Fair play to yee.

Im immensely proud of Costello on our side, was outstanding, only for him we could of got a hiding but he kept us in touch. I said earlier on the week that I would know after 5mins if we'd win, and i have to say i knew we were in trouble. I feel sorry for the huge Sligo Support. Roscommon had there homework done, and negated us to the max. We didnt move the ball quick enough. And finally Roscommon only attacked our left wing to get frees on the right side of the field to suit Shine, under pressure that showed serious composure.

Congrats Roscommon and there fans who once i had a great praise for. Sligo players you will never walk alone, not with me and Dad around. Chin up and face another fight the next day, best team won today no doubt. Sligeach abu.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ross4life on July 18, 2010, 09:19:11 PM
Sligonian said that and said to me many times, "i don't rate shine" i wonder does he think the same tonight
Im man enough to say im eating humble pie tonight, fair play to him, was very good from play. Unshakable under pressure.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"