Down v The Longford Lager Louts - Round 2 Qualifier Páirc Esler @7pm July10th

Started by fairplay, June 28, 2010, 10:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcarrier

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 28, 2010, 01:13:09 PM
Which Down will we meet johnny?

The first half v Tyrone Down or the second half v Tyrone Down?

Longford have a touch of that too SS...you kept Kerry scoreless for last 34 minutes of the qualifer last year but were very slow to start.

Shamrock Shore

Ach bcarrier don't mind me and that comment. I was riz into it by a Mayo interloper into the thread.

Wondering whether to make a night of it or to head back to Dublin after the game. Sterling is back strong again so that's a bit of a drawback. We'll see. Where would the Down GAAboard lads be having a few swifties before throw in?

snoopdog

Excuse my ignorance Lads but why are Longford called the Larries???

Shamrock Shore

Indeed! After Larry Cunningham! Longford doesn't have a nickname as such and, following a suggestion by Hardy, we decided to adopt 'Larries' as our moniker!

It's only in use on gaaboard but I look forward to Micheal refer to  The 'larries' in commentary on the wireless some day soon!

Dubh driocht

Interesting fixture and a very interesting one for one of our leading County Board officials.
James will need to lift the team as we were flat for the second half at Casement.I wouldn't change any of the defence or midfield but would have John Clarke on for Dan at FF.
Was at the last league game in Newy and Down got out of gaol against a big side with some excellent players - presumably on a high after beating Mayo. One to be worried about.

swagger

Im pretty confident that we will do the business next week. However the larries will be on a high beating Mayo, although it must be said that it was one of the worst Mayo teams in a long time! I think it could be tight enough but will be very disappointed if Down exit the all-ireland series at this stage!
riiiiiiiiiite

panc56

To all Larries everywhere (global included) , get up to Newry and support this team. Theres something about them on a dry pitch in July that completely changes them. A bit like Fermanagh a few years ago where they don't give a damn and just play with carefree abandon I took that line from Joe Umbrella) .
The only thing that this Longford team needs to do is take a big scalp away from home in the qualifiers. We are not stupid enough to belive that we're gonna win Leinsters or All-Irelands but knocking a few of the big boys off their podiums is just perfect.
I've seen plenty of Down over the last few years (I'm married to one of them ) so I know this Down outfit only to well. James has got them believing again but realistically it's the same team as Carr had except for the Clarkes. They have NO full backline. But we have nobody to mark Coulter.I'd stick Archie on hime for his strength and just pull and drag him in true Ulster style :'(
If your looking for a place to stay try Warrenpoint - Newry is an awful kip.

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: panc56 on June 28, 2010, 08:14:54 PM
To all Larries everywhere (global included) , get up to Newry and support this team. Theres something about them on a dry pitch in July that completely changes them. A bit like Fermanagh a few years ago where they don't give a damn and just play with carefree abandon I took that line from Joe Umbrella) .
The only thing that this Longford team needs to do is take a big scalp away from home in the qualifiers. We are not stupid enough to belive that we're gonna win Leinsters or All-Irelands but knocking a few of the big boys off their podiums is just perfect.
I've seen plenty of Down over the last few years (I'm married to one of them ) so I know this Down outfit only to well. James has got them believing again but realistically it's the same team as Carr had except for the Clarkes. They have NO full backline. But we have nobody to mark Coulter.I'd stick Archie on hime for his strength and just pull and drag him in true Ulster style :'(
If your looking for a place to stay try Warrenpoint - Newry is an awful kip.

ahh panc you must be an abbey man? archie is a decent footballer but coulter is a different class. a fit bull masterson would be the only man for him

Pangurban

Down are in no position to underestimate anyone, Longford are a decent team, their morale will be high, this could be a Banana Skin for a Down team that are always less motivated in qualifiers

panc56

Forfeit Sure am an Abbey man. The Bull is a better player but you couldn't move him from midfield. We need him and McElvaney in midfield , an area where an Dun are strong. I was thinking Archie for pure strength alone. Coulter is an ox.

fairplay

Quote from: Dubh driocht on June 28, 2010, 07:03:42 PM
Interesting fixture and a very interesting one for one of our leading County Board officials.
James will need to lift the team as we were flat for the second half at Casement.I wouldn't change any of the defence or midfield but would have John Clarke on for Dan at FF.
Was at the last league game in Newy and Down got out of gaol against a big side with some excellent players - presumably on a high after beating Mayo. One to be worried about.

An interesting fixture indeed. Peter Mc Grath's last game in charge of Down was against Longford(I think).

Main Street

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 28, 2010, 05:18:12 PM
//http://www.westernpeople.ie/news/story/?trs=eyojcwgbey
I thought they were called Larries after one of the 3 Stoogies  :)
Somehow I  associate the other Larry with Leitrim.

For me, this one is the pick of the qualifiers, I hope it makes the tv coverage.

Shamrock Shore

QuotePeter Mc Grath's last game in charge of Down was against Longford(I think)

Yes - this is correct. Very gracious that evening if I remember correctly.

QuoteI  associate the other Larry with Leitrim

Nah - he just snag about the place. He is Longford through and through and probably our most famous native in modern times. Or Eddie Macken (the Eddies don't sound right)

And before anyone says Albert Reynolds I can educate youze by letting ye know Albert is a Roscommon native!

Billys Boots

Famous Larries: what about?:

Liam Mulvihill
Peter McKenna
Ray Flynn
Maria Edgeworth
Oliver Goldsmith

Now I'm struggling.   :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...