Get ready to wave them flegs - Lily Windsor's coming

Started by Fiodoir Ard Mhacha, June 23, 2010, 06:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 21, 2011, 11:31:21 AM
I'm just ashamed to be from the same county as mayogodhelpus now, also Enda Kenny for inviting the oul hoor back to visit these shores again. However, I'm not ashamed of anything else my county men have done, and before ye all start posting up clips of youtube videos of us getting hammered in Croker, frig it we'll win the damn thing some day, whether I'm dead or alive!!!
The invitation came from Mary McAleese.

Maguire01

Quote from: AQMP on May 21, 2011, 10:34:33 AM
the Queen's visit seems to have introduced a new partition in Ireland.  That between a state and  its citizens. :(
Not sure where you're getting that from. The general public consensus seems to have been very much in line with that of the politicians - even to the extent that a SF Mayor felt obliged to meet her on behalf of those citizens he represents.

ballinaman

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 21, 2011, 11:44:24 AM
the Queen's visit seems to have introduced a new partition in Ireland.  That between a state and  its citizens. :(
Not sure where you're getting that from. The general public consensus seems to have been very much in line with that of the politicians - even to the extent that a SF Mayor felt obliged to meet her on behalf of those citizens he represents.
In your opinion or are you privy to information held at a town meeting in Cashel?

Maguire01

Quote from: ballinaman on May 21, 2011, 11:50:02 AM
In your opinion or are you privy to information held at a town meeting in Cashel?
Not my opinion at all - based on a post on politics.ie:

"The Sinn Féin Mayor of Cashel has shown enormous physical and mental courage by defying his life threatening illness to tell Cashel Town Council he would welcome the Queen of England to the town if that is what the majority of the people want.

Mayor of Cashel, Cllr Michael Browne, who has bravely battled cancer for the past few months, told Cashel Town Council on Monday evening that he would welcome the Queen to the historic town despite a recent letter to the local media by Tipperary Sinn Fein Councillors condemning the visit.

Welcoming the Mayor into the Chamber, Cllr Sean McCarthy said there had been some "adverse publicity" in the media regarding the visit, with the prospect of "possible protests." Cllr McCarthy wished Mayor Browne good health and asked him what his "precise position" was on the upcoming state visit, given that it could be a "great boost to tourism and and strengthen our morale" and "international relations."

"I am delighted to be back here," said Mayor Browne, who has been unable to attend Council meetings due to his grave illness. Cllr Browne said he was elected by the people on June 11th 2009. Within a fortnight, there was an agreement made in Cashel that Cllr Browne would be made Mayor.

"Unfortunately, my health is not as good as I would like it to be. I was elected as a representative of the people unanimously. I feel that I have no other option only to go along (with the visit)."

Cllr Browne said that he now accepted that the vast majority of people in Cashel are welcoming the Queen of England to the Cashel. "Ian Paisley said 'No' for 40 years," he said. Referring to the conflict in Northern Ireland, Cllr Browne said it takes a brave man, such as a certain fellow Sinn Fein member, to overcome the past, and lay a wreath at the Cenotaph.

Up to about 10 minutes before the signing of the Good Friday Agreement, there were Sinn Fein members who held out. "I will go along with the wishes of the people of Cashel," said Cllr Browne, adding that some of the money recently spent on improving infrastructure around the town, would not have been spent were it nor for the Queen's visit.

Cashel's economy "will benefit and accrue, in the near and far future." "I think and I hope that the biggest beneficiary will be the Tidy Towns people. I hope that everybody gets behind the Tidy Towns committee next June," said Mayor Browne.
Cllr Sean McCarthy complimented the Mayor on his "honest and straightforward" answer. "You are truly a representative of the people of Cashel."

Cllr McCarthy said he would call on his colleague, Tidy Towns Chairperson Paddy Downey, and Denis Heffernan, from the award-winning village of Emly, to help Cashel. "It would put the icing on the cake."

Cllr PJ Quinlan said it was a credit to the Mayor that he was willing to endorse the Queen's visit. "A Céad Míle Failte is crucial."

Cllr Maribel Wood said she was delighted to hear the "nice words" of Cllr Browne. "You have put the town first. I know Cllr Browne is very honest and loves the town. (You're) putting the town first, ahead of party politics."

Separately, the Chamber heard that security arrangements regarding the Queen's visit will be made public this week. Town Clerk Marie McGivern, responding to Cllr PJ Quinlan, said the gardai have not made any detailed public announcments yet, but are expected to do so this week.

Nally Stand

Such a statement from a man who's county gave us men like Frank Stagg and Michael Gaughan. Mayogodhelpus, You're an asshole of the very highest order.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Tubberman

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 21, 2011, 11:37:55 AM
I'm just ashamed to be from the same county as mayogodhelpus now, also Enda Kenny for inviting the oul hoor back to visit these shores again. However, I'm not ashamed of anything else my county men have done, and before ye all start posting up clips of youtube videos of us getting hammered in Croker, frig it we'll win the damn thing some day, whether I'm dead or alive!!!

And was issued during the lifetime of the last government.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ballinaman

Quote from: Tubberman on May 21, 2011, 12:25:11 PM

She was invited back before coming in the first place??

AZOffaly

Farrandeelin is talking about Enda's little goodbye kiss with Liz at Cork Airport. He asked her if she'd like to come again. She said yes, and Enda nearly ran back to the RTE radio studio to tell everyone.

Tubberman

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 21, 2011, 12:30:15 PM

Farrandeelin is talking about Enda's little goodbye kiss with Liz at Cork Airport. He asked her if she'd like to come again. She said yes, and Enda nearly ran back to the RTE radio studio to tell everyone.

Sorry, read it too fast - thought he was on about the original invitation.
I don't see much a problem with inviting her back myself... certainly nothing to be ashamed about.

Maguire01

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 21, 2011, 12:30:15 PM

Ah right. I thought he was referring to the current visit. She has afterall been to these shores before.

AQMP

IMHO, the consensus on Tuesday was one of benign indifference to the visit (even Kevin Myers was of this opinion).  However the media/state love-in (Wow!) was constantly hammering home the message like the two boys who were in Reggie Perrin "Great, super".  It has had some success.

BTW on a seperate note, one of the biggest myths of this visit was the massive boost to tourism that will accrue.  I used to work in the tourism industry and know that that is a load of shite!

Tubberman

Quote from: AQMP on May 21, 2011, 12:49:36 PM

IMHO, the consensus on Tuesday was one of benign indifference to the visit (even Kevin Myers was of this opinion).  However the media/state love-in (Wow!) was constantly hammering home the message like the two boys who were in Reggie Perrin "Great, super".  It has had some success.

BTW on a seperate note, one of the biggest myths of this visit was the massive boost to tourism that will accrue.  I used to work in the tourism industry and know that that is a load of shite!

Yeah, the media reaction has definitely been OTT - they are detatched from reality most of the time. They only seem to talk to other media types.
I do think it will probably boost tourist numbers, but not in a hugely noticeable way. It's certainly not going to lead to a shortage of hotel rooms!
But despite that, I think the visit was a good thing, and I'm glad it has happened. I was at best indifferent about the visit before it happened. Then immediately pior to it, I began to worry that she could actually be murdered while she was here.
Then we'd really be in the shit - a complete basket case of a country, that would be an end to FDI, and god knows what other grief would come our way.
I thought the Queen made some very important and welcome gestures and acknoledgements. Granted, on their own they don't mean a huge amount without similar actions, and obviously they can't change the past.
But as an indication as to how the relationship between the two islands can be in the future, I thought it was very positive and welcome.

AQMP

Tubberman, mostly agree.  I was never opposed to the visit but looking back after the event, taken as a whole it probably was a good thing.  But nowhere near as significant as some have suggested.

I look forward to Enda and Mary greeting the Pope on the Falls Rd before Xmas!! ;)

Tubberman

Quote from: AQMP on May 21, 2011, 01:04:37 PM
Tubberman, mostly agree.  I was never opposed to the visit but looking back after the event, taken as a whole it probably was a good thing.  But nowhere near as significant as some have suggested.

I look forward to Enda and Mary greeting the Pope on the Falls Rd before Xmas!! ;)

:D Keep that argument for another day!!
I think the Pope would nearly have as much opposition down south as he would up north...

AQMP

Quote from: Tubberman on May 21, 2011, 01:07:41 PM
Quote from: AQMP on May 21, 2011, 01:04:37 PM

:D Keep that argument for another day!!
I think the Pope would nearly have as much opposition down south as he would up north...

True...but I thought since we're all into opening the country up to Germans... ;D