Get ready to wave them flegs - Lily Windsor's coming

Started by Fiodoir Ard Mhacha, June 23, 2010, 06:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Ulick on May 20, 2011, 10:27:14 AM
All that guff about politicising the language is just a feeble bluff to disguise Unionist bigotry. To my memory P O'Neill issued most of his statements as Béarla and the unionists didn't do to much yapping about that.
Come on, you know fine well there are plenty out there who continue to politicise the language and use it to antagonise Prods. If you are in the company of people who, in their entirety, can speak English would it not then be common courtesy to speak English when you're able to do so?

Stuff like this annoys me about the shinners. Ourselves alone and beggar the cost.

AQMP

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 20, 2011, 10:36:37 AM
All that guff about politicising the language is just a feeble bluff to disguise Unionist bigotry. To my memory P O'Neill issued most of his statements as Béarla and the unionists didn't do to much yapping about that.
Come on, you know fine well there are plenty out there who continue to politicise the language and use it to antagonise Prods. If you are in the company of people who, in their entirety, can speak English would it not then be common courtesy to speak English when you're able to do so?

Stuff like this annoys me about the shinners. We ourselves and beggar the cost.

Fixed that for you there, Tony ;)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AQMP on May 20, 2011, 10:39:23 AM

Ha ha, I wasn't even playing on the Sinn Fein thing, but yours is better! :D

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AQMP on May 20, 2011, 10:39:23 AM

Actually which is it as I'm sure there is a SF ourselves alone poster up somewhere in the Glens. Having said that some of the boys up there would be doing well to get the S and F the right way around!

Ulick

Stuff like this annoys me about the shinners. Ourselves alone and beggar the cost.

Of course, but banging out a few words and phrases is not the same as excluding someone from a conversation. All Irish politicians except the unionists and the SDLP do it.

Stall the Bailer

armaghniac

QuoteAll Irish politicians except the unionists

I am pretty sure the SDLP throw in the odd cúpla focal from time to time and you are behind the times on the unionists, Ulick. Now that Alliance crowd, I wouldn't be sure about them.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/dup-first-minister-peter-robinson-speaks-irish-16002311.html

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Ulick on May 20, 2011, 10:49:25 AM

Of course, but banging out a few words and phrases is not the same as excluding someone from a conversation. All Irish politicians except the unionists and the SDLP do it.
On a technical point, are there those wee translator earpieces in Stormont etc that you see in the UN etc.

Capt Pat

Have you ever seen security like this for a visit by a foreign dignitary. Was it all really necessary? They shut Dublin city centre down for a few days so that this old yoke wouldn't have to face any traffic. I didn't think anyone would really care.

AQMP

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 20, 2011, 10:57:35 AM
Quote from: Ulick on May 20, 2011, 10:49:25 AM

On a technical point, are there those wee translator earpieces in Stormont etc that you see in the UN etc.

Yes but they just play white noise whenever anyone speaks Irish...or when Jim Allister makes a speech

armaghniac

QuoteHave you ever seen security like this for a visit by a foreign dignitary. Was it all really necessary? They shut Dublin city centre down for a few days so that this old yoke wouldn't have to face any traffic. I didn't think anyone would really care.

It was necessary. If people will kill a GAA player in Tyrone then they would be more than happy to end the reign of QEII.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Ulick

Quote from: armaghniac on May 20, 2011, 10:56:01 AM
QuoteAll Irish politicians except the unionists

I am pretty sure the SDLP throw in the odd cúpla focal from time to time and you are behind the times on the unionists, Ulick. Now that Alliance crowd, I wouldn't be sure about them.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/dup-first-minister-peter-robinson-speaks-irish-16002311.html

f**king Peter Robinson, if he keeps this up my wife is going to end up voting DUP!

seafoid

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on May 20, 2011, 10:54:48 AM
Did Brid Rodgers not often talk in Irish?

She is from Gaoth Dobhair so she has a fabulous blas

Tubberman

It has emerged that the Sinn Féin Mayor of Cashel, Cllr Michael Brown, shook Queen Elizabeth II's hand during her visit to the town today.

The pair also enjoyed a brief conversation as the British monarch and her husband, Prince Phillip, toured the Rock of Cashel landmark.

The royals will be visiting Cork city this afternoon, where hundreds of well-wishers have already gathered to greet them.

Cllr Michael Brown was elected to Cashel Town Council in 1985. He lost it in 1999, before regaining it in 2004.

Read more: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/sinn-fein-mayor-shakes-queens-hand-on-cashel-visit-505779.html#ixzz1MtfWkA7I
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

Hope Willie Brennan's ghost doesnt get him   ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM