Get ready to wave them flegs - Lily Windsor's coming

Started by Fiodoir Ard Mhacha, June 23, 2010, 06:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 19, 2011, 01:23:34 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 19, 2011, 11:20:02 AM
What to f**k was McAleese at going 'Waow' every time the queen said any irish title. Made her look like a simpleton, and more than a little patronising to the irish public - 'Isnt she great, she said an irish word, see how accomodating shes being'. Really annoyed me, why couldn't she have sat there with her mouth shut and mebbe gave the odd smile, just like the dignitary shes supposed to be

Ya that irritated the f**k out of me too. For fck sake it wasn't like she sang our National Anthem or quoted Seán Óg Ó hAilpín accepting Liam. McAleese annoys my hole.
Yawnnnnnn...more anti Northern sentiments from MGHU.

Applesisapples

IN is reporting that only 1 Ulster County was there yesterday whilst others seem to say that 4 attended. Which is it  does anyone know.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 19, 2011, 01:27:21 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 19, 2011, 01:23:34 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 19, 2011, 11:20:02 AM
What to f**k was McAleese at going 'Waow' every time the queen said any irish title. Made her look like a simpleton, and more than a little patronising to the irish public - 'Isnt she great, she said an irish word, see how accomodating shes being'. Really annoyed me, why couldn't she have sat there with her mouth shut and mebbe gave the odd smile, just like the dignitary shes supposed to be

Ya that irritated the f**k out of me too. For fck sake it wasn't like she sang our National Anthem or quoted Seán Óg Ó hAilpín accepting Liam. McAleese annoys my hole.
Yawnnnnnn...more anti Northern sentiments from MGHU.

Waow  ;D if I said the opposite you would have called me a west brit, can't win with some people. She actually does annoy the hole off me to be honest. Time for a man in the Aras, these women are so patronising.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 19, 2011, 01:29:37 PM
IN is reporting that only 1 Ulster County was there yesterday whilst others seem to say that 4 attended. Which is it  does anyone know.

Maybe it was RTE - Ulster 4 counties of 9, or Brit tv - ulster 1 county of 6.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Nally Stand

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 19, 2011, 01:31:31 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on May 19, 2011, 01:29:37 PM

Maybe it was RTE - Ulster 4 counties of 9, or Brit tv - ulster 1 county of 6.

Or the IRISH News - 1 County out of 9
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Applesisapples

Very witty, although the statistic on unity is quoted a bit out of context. Most Northern Nationalist want to see reunification. Disagreement is on the timing, type of structures and economic considerations. As I have said previously unity will come but through a process of evolution and will take many years. The points about our hero's protesting against British political imperialism whilst wearing the uniform of British cultural imperialism would be lost on the average protester.

muppet

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 19, 2011, 02:27:22 PM
Very witty, although the statistic on unity is quoted a bit out of context. Most Northern Nationalist want to see reunification. Disagreement is on the timing, type of structures and economic considerations. As I have said previously unity will come but through a process of evolution and will take many years. The points about our hero's protesting against British political imperialism whilst wearing the uniform of British cultural imperialism would be lost on the average protester.

When was the first United Ireland declared?

Serious question.
MWWSI 2017

Applesisapples

Quote from: muppet on May 19, 2011, 02:42:14 PM

Serious question.
Reunification after partition.

muppet

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 19, 2011, 02:57:04 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 19, 2011, 02:42:14 PM

Serious question.
Reunification after partition.

Good answer.
MWWSI 2017

Applesisapples

From 1690 an all thon just thought I would share (This is a pisstake, lest MGHU take offence)

Tuesday, 17 May 2011
Royal Visits til the Free State: A Retrospective.
As oor Queen visits the cloudier part o' this island for a lock o' days, Ah thunk it might be interestin' fur til take a luk at previous royal visits til Ireland. Many o' the papers hiv mentioned Queen Victoria an' King George comin' o'er, but Ah hiv decided til luk at three mair ancient visits. In daein' sae Ah hope fur til putt an end once an' fur all til the difficulties between oor twa nations, bringin' peace an' harmony til us all.

King Henry II, 1171.

As we seen in Bit 13 o' ma histry o' the Ulster Scots in this land, Henry II was nat a prapur royal king bein', as he was, both a French foreign an' the o'er surt. These basic facts shud make themuns sit up an' take notice, fur it was their surt that started it, nat oors. Unner the orders o' the Pope, Henry sent an army o'er in 1169 til subjectgate the Irish folk an' make them intil the o'er surt, but didnae visit hissel til 1171. At this point he papped o'er so that the Irish chiefs cud pay homage til him. Ah amnae tae sure whit homage is, tae be fair, but as a result o' it bein' paid, Henry was duly crowned "Lord o' Ireland".

King John I. 1185 an' 1210.

King Henry thunk it wud be a good idea fur til make his son John Lord o' Ireland insteid, fur til gie him a wee bit o' responsibility. A bit like gittin' yer wain' til cut the grass an' throwin' him a wheen o' poun' fur his money bax. Wee John came o'er til luk at his new lands in 1185, but made a bit o' an arse o' hissel. Apparently he was shacked til see that Irish kings had big long "ZZ Tap" style beards an' proceeded til grab them an' laid them aboot like wee pups. The Irish kings werenae tae plaised aboot this, and John went hame in bad form. Howiver he rectified this mistake in 1210 when he came o'er wi' a rake o' knights an' the like an' kicked the shite clean out o' a lock o' Angle Normans whit were causin' a bit o' bother. This included the first royal visit til Ulster, when he called at Carrickfergus castle an' flung racks at it. The Irish chiefs seem fur til have liked this, fur they all joined in throwin' racks, an' hivnae really stapped since.

King James I an' King Billy.1689 - 1690

Betwain' 1689 an' 1690 Ireland was fortunate enough til have nat one but twa Royal visitors, who made extensive toors durin' their stays. King James arrived first an' fannied about afore decidin' til visit Londonderry. Here the populace taul him til get til feck an' fired stuff at him. In response James surrounded the town wi' French folk an' the Derry Wans celebrated by atin' rats an' firin' stuff at the French til some boats arrived.
Meanwhile the o'er King o' England, King Billy, alsae travelled til Ireland, visitin' Carrickfergus an' tyin' his horse til a tree in every village betwain there an' Dublin. On July 1st the twa kings met up at the Boyne where King Billy knacked James' pan in, despite the Pope bein' there an' everythin'. The date o' the battle was later moved til the Twelfth fur til fit in wi' the rest o' the marchin saison. Incidentally historians now believe there is nae truth in the children's rhyme aboot King Billy havin' a ten fut willy, as the chances o' him showin' it til the woman next door, with her mistakin it fur a snake an' hittin' it wi' a rake, are slim.

Thus oor Queen's visit til themuns is but yin in a lang line o' visits. It is til be hoped that she disnae pull any beards, fling racks at anythin', surround any towns wi' French folk, fight wi' her in-laws or change the religion o' the people. An indaid that Prince Philip disnae show his willy til the woman next door.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 18, 2011, 11:25:29 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on May 18, 2011, 11:08:02 PM
In the light of 5 NI counties deliberately snubbing their (i.e. Unionists') Monarch, Unionists in NI will feel vindicated in their belief that the GAA is not just a pro-Irish organisation, but is actually also an anti-British  organisation.

And as a consequence, many will go further and conclude that the GAA's stated aim of wanting to reach out to all Irish people is a sham (in Ulster, at least).

And with examples such as today's who can properly blame us?

I can. The GAA invites the Queen to Croke Park despite protests from some quarters, including some within the organisation, and you're still not willing to acknowledge the gesture because you're only focused on the minority who didn't attend rather than the majority of counties who did attend.
From what I understand, the Councils in Munster, Connacht and Leinster do not have a problem with being open and attractive to all the people within their Province.
The Ulster Council clearly does, since nearly half the population has (at best) no interest in GAA or even (at worst) views it with suspicion and mistrust etc.
Therefore when 5/9 (8/9) Ulster County Reps decline this Invitation, they are sending out a clear message to the people within their Province.
Moreover, this message is acutely directed, since the GAA is organised on a Local/County/Provincial basis i.e. the fact that Counties from the other Provinces were in attendance doesn't affect the people of NI/Ulster nearly so personally.

Anyhow, I personally do not see the difference in principle between eg Tom Elliott refusing an Invitation to a GAA game and a GAA Rep refusing an Invitation (by his Central Council, btw) to meet the Queen.
In practice, however, there is one difference. Tom Elliott does not profess to "reach out" to his Nationalist (GAA) opponents, whereas the GAA does profess to want to "reach out" to its Unionist fellow Irish folk.

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 18, 2011, 11:25:29 PMYour description of the Ulster Council's genuine attempts to reach out to unionists as a "sham" says more about you and your inability to let go of your hatred than it does about the GAA.
I have no doubt that eg those GAA coaches who are involved in
cross-community initiatives on the ground etc in NI are entirely sincere, and I would applaud their efforts.
However, they have to operate within a structure and within that structure they doubtless have to take their lead from the "Blazers" (for want of a better term).
This snub by the County Blazers indicates to me that they still have clear problems in this regard, at least in that they either cannot comprehend, or refuse to acknowledge, that their absence from CP sends the clear message to Unionists in NI that when it comes to it, the people who run the GAA in Ulster cannot even bring themselves to act with common courtesy towards the Queen, in the same way as their fellow Gaels in the rest of Ireland.

P.S. "hatred"?  ::)

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Applesisapples

EG the Ulster Council is the body which is responsible for outreach and was represented by it's President who shook the Queens hand. Because some County Boards opted out should not be taken as representative of the views of the majority of members. As a life long Gael I don't really care wether Tom Elliott wants to go to matches or not, his recent comments show exactly where he stands. I welcome the Queens visit as a symbolic gesture to our shared history and as a Gael have no issue with it. However I do understand that some events from the recent troubles are still raw for some members e.g. Aiden McAnespie, Crossmaglen's ground, Sean Brown etc... In the same way Unionist victims still hurt. These view points must be respected you can't force healing. But yesterday was a small step along the way. The Irish ethos of the GAA is going to be an impediment to most Unionists embracing it in the short term, but in the long term who knows. Progress though could be heard in the sounds of silence from Sinn Fein and these Countys who did not fully endorse the visit. In the past there would have been significant protest.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 18, 2011, 11:29:12 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 18, 2011, 11:23:39 PM
But I can see EG's point. This was clearly a snub, and will be interpreted as such by Unionists in the north. And will give them more reasons to refute claims of 'outreach'.

The Nelson McCauslands of this world will always find ways to pick holes in the GAA and gaelic culture in general.  Out of 32 counties, only five were not represented. People like EG would rather focus on the 5 who were absent rather than the 27 who were present.
In his speech, Christy Cooney specifically mentioned the GAA's aim of reaching out to Irish Unionists. Yet the Representatives from the five Counties where 80%+ of Irish Unionists actually live, were not there.

Still, I'm sure all those Unionists in Cork, Tipperary, Galway and Leitrim etc were pleased to see themselves being represented at the Queen's reception... ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 19, 2011, 03:20:28 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 18, 2011, 11:29:12 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 18, 2011, 11:23:39 PM
But I can see EG's point. This was clearly a snub, and will be interpreted as such by Unionists in the north. And will give them more reasons to refute claims of 'outreach'.

The Nelson McCauslands of this world will always find ways to pick holes in the GAA and gaelic culture in general.  Out of 32 counties, only five were not represented. People like EG would rather focus on the 5 who were absent rather than the 27 who were present.
In his speech, Christy Cooney specifically mentioned the GAA's aim of reaching out to Irish Unionists. Yet the Representatives from the five Counties where 80%+ of Irish Unionists actually live, were not there.

Still, I'm sure all those Unionists in Cork, Tipperary, Galway and Leitrim etc were pleased to see themselves being represented at the Queen's reception... ::)
FFS - so its not the south that the unionists/loyalists have a problem with then !
Must have misheard things this past few years - and I obv misunderstood evil f myles posts about having problems reunifying with the south !!  :D

Anyhow, I personally do not see the difference in principle between eg Tom Elliott refusing an Invitation to a GAA game and a GAA Rep refusing an Invitation (by his Central Council, btw) to meet the Queen.

....of course you dont....the queen not being a political figure and the GAA ????

keep digging! though fair enough thats your perspective and opinion,but fecking hell - do you expect us to believe that !