Get ready to wave them flegs - Lily Windsor's coming

Started by Fiodoir Ard Mhacha, June 23, 2010, 06:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 18, 2011, 11:08:02 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 18, 2011, 06:41:47 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 18, 2011, 06:35:49 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 18, 2011, 05:29:19 PM
Interesting that only 1 of the 9 Ulster counties accepted invitation, speaks volumes that those most affected decided not yet, this to me should be respected more than any other viewpoint.

Oh, so Down wasn't affected by the troubles then? That business in Loughinisland didn't happen? Nobody was blown up in Warrenpoint?

Oh so there is no significance in the fact that five of the six counties refused to send representatives?
In the light of 5 NI counties deliberately snubbing their (i.e. Unionists') Monarch, Unionists in NI will feel vindicated in their belief that the GAA is not just a pro-Irish organisation, but is actually also an anti-British  organisation.

And as a consequence, many will go further and conclude that the GAA's stated aim of wanting to reach out to all Irish people is a sham (in Ulster, at least).

And with examples such as today's who can properly blame us?

Perhaps the majority of gaa members in ulster would also pass on an opportunity to meet the British queen and maybe the elected gaa representatives are merely reflecting the reality on the ground. I know i would have no interest in meeting her or having someone who represents me meeting her either. There are plenty if people with that view in the northern cities of England too.

Maguire01

She got her bit of Irish in too - good move by her PR team. Nelson will be ragin'!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 18, 2011, 10:54:05 PM
That being so, if the Brits really can't wait etc, one might expect them to be taking steps in designed to ease/persuade/finagle NI's Unionists towards a UI.

That's a bit of an extrapolation on your part. The position they seem to have taken is one of neutrality. They'll respect the wishes of the majority in the north no matter which way they vote in a future border poll. Maybe they know that northern Protestants can only be persuaded by their catholic neighbours in the north and that relations are so complex and involved that it's best to leave it up to the people on the ground to sort it out between themselves.

Do you seriously think that northern unionists would listen to a British government telling them the benefits of a united Ireland? Yiz have never trusted any British government, you're not likely to start listening to them now.

Evil Genius

Quote from: ziggysego on May 18, 2011, 07:32:41 PM
Evil Genuis, of someone of the Unionist persuasion, what it the feeling amongst Unionist of the Queen visiting such places as The Garden of Remembrance and Croke Park. Positive signs or look upon with mistrust and suspicion?
Can't speak for other Unionists ("Ussuns isn't all the same", ye know!) but for myself, I was unsure, even disconcerted when I heard these were on her Itinerary (esp the Garden, with its clear connection to the Rising etc).

But when I witnessed the occasion yesterday and realised that it was as big a step for her hosts as it was for her (eg playing GSTQ), I concluded that it is a positive thing.

That said, it's easier for me to take a somewhat detached view from GB - those Unionists who live in NI, with all the pressures and tensions etc, might well be more concerned.

But I guess when they waken up tomorrow and realise the sky hasn't  fallen in, they will settle down. After all, like everyone else in NI, they've had to get used to much more challenging facts of life than this.

P.S. Speaking personally, the only antagonistic note for me thus far was the sight of that lowlife sc**bag Jackie McDonald at Island Bridge this morning, esp when he talked about "his" community - a community which he and his kind have terrorised and destroyed etc as much as the IRA ever did. I must accept that the concensus is that it was right for him to be there, but I find it deeply shameful to be associated with vermin like that and I know many, many Unionists feel the same.  >:(
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Maguire01

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 18, 2011, 11:17:30 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 18, 2011, 06:41:47 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 18, 2011, 06:35:49 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 18, 2011, 05:29:19 PM
Interesting that only 1 of the 9 Ulster counties accepted invitation, speaks volumes that those most affected decided not yet, this to me should be respected more than any other viewpoint.

Oh, so Down wasn't affected by the troubles then? That business in Loughinisland didn't happen? Nobody was blown up in Warrenpoint?

Oh so there is no significance in the fact that five of the six counties refused to send representatives?
In the light of 5 NI counties deliberately snubbing their (i.e. Unionists') Monarch, Unionists in NI will feel vindicated in their belief that the GAA is not just a pro-Irish organisation, but is actually also an anti-British  organisation.

And as a consequence, many will go further and conclude that the GAA's stated aim of wanting to reach out to all Irish people is a sham (in Ulster, at least).

Perhaps the majority of gaa members in ulster would also pass on an opportunity to meet the British queen and maybe the elected gaa representatives are merely reflecting the reality on the ground. I know i would have no interest in meeting her or having someone who represents me meeting her either. There are plenty if people with that view in the northern cities of England too.
I wouldn't have any interest in meeting her myself (anymore than most heads of state). And I imagine a lot of people all over the country are indifferent to the visit.

But I can see EG's point. This was clearly a snub, and will be interpreted as such by Unionists in the north. And will give them more reasons to refute claims of 'outreach'.

Eamonnca1

I can. The GAA invites the Queen to Croke Park despite protests from some quarters, including some within the organisation, and you're still not willing to acknowledge the gesture because you're only focused on the minority who didn't attend rather than the majority of counties who did attend.  Your description of the Ulster Council's genuine attempts to reach out to unionists as a "sham" says more about you and your inability to let go of your hatred than it does about the GAA.

Maguire01

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 18, 2011, 11:19:58 PM
That being so, if the Brits really can't wait etc, one might expect them to be taking steps in designed to ease/persuade/finagle NI's Unionists towards a UI.

That's a bit of an extrapolation on your part. The position they seem to have taken is one of neutrality. They'll respect the wishes of the majority in the north no matter which way they vote in a future border poll. Maybe they know that northern Protestants can only be persuaded by their catholic neighbours in the north and that relations are so complex and involved that it's best to leave it up to the people on the ground to sort it out between themselves.

Do you seriously think that northern unionists would listen to a British government telling them the benefits of a united Ireland? Yiz have never trusted any British government, you're not likely to start listening to them now.
David Cameron, 6 December 2008:  "I will never be neutral when it comes to expressing my support for the Union"

Evil Genius

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 18, 2011, 08:56:42 PM
some of the events this week have been a step too far. partition seems to have been copper fastened. the queen has been paraded around like some sort of celebrity with the usual suspects lining up to kiss ass. any dissenting voices are quickly ridiculed as only speaking for a minority. have to say im really disappointed with the down co.board decision to partake in todays sham at croke park. a united ulster non show would have sent the gaa a strong message
Not just the GAA; the non-GAA people of NI will have got the message, too... ::)

* - Instead of "No Blacks, Dogs or Irish", is it "No Black Prods or British"?
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 18, 2011, 11:23:39 PM
But I can see EG's point. This was clearly a snub, and will be interpreted as such by Unionists in the north. And will give them more reasons to refute claims of 'outreach'.

The Nelson McCauslands of this world will always find ways to pick holes in the GAA and gaelic culture in general.  Out of 32 counties, only five were not represented. People like EG would rather focus on the 5 who were absent rather than the 27 who were present.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ONeill on May 18, 2011, 11:09:30 PM
The Queen of f**king England.

Who gives a shit? I've heard that line 'oh it's a sad day for Ireland and the GAA'. You ask them why. They say 'cos she's the Queen of England and 800 years and Bloody Sunday an all'.

Jesus lads, leave it to the politicians and those in the background and move on. The Queen now (or the King/Queen then) hasn't a clue about what military operations their nation's army are/were engaging in, not then, not now. For all we know she could be a fanatical supporter of the S Armagh Snipers' Organisation. This country has important political and economic dealings to be getting on with. Leave it to those we elected. The creation and development of the N-S bodies (and the unseen work regarding those) means we're actually a lot closer to the end goal than ever before. Harping on about the horrible symbolism of an old lady born into a family of dimwits visiting a piece of land where one of the hundreds of cold killings took place 90 years ago is pointless and close-minded. There's much more important work to be done.

When Alex Maskey laid a wreath to commemorate those who died in the British Army during WW1 (not long before Bloody Sunday) the sky didn't fall. When the Queen of England visited a place where her nation's forces killed Irishmen in retaliation for an earlier successful mission, the sky won't fall either. In two days' time you'll still be paying your bills, you'll still be lambasting Sludden and the ongoing work to better where we are today as republicans or nationalists will continue. The pseudo-republican stance of many up here is an empty one. Progressive republicans will pay this week's events no heed.
Good man, O'Neill!
Very well put.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 18, 2011, 11:28:49 PM

It'd be a bit difficult since children in Britain are busily playing Gaelic football in their hundreds as part of their school PE programs.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 18, 2011, 11:27:26 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 18, 2011, 11:19:58 PM

David Cameron, 6 December 2008:  "I will never be neutral when it comes to expressing my support for the Union"

I see you and I raise you:

QuoteThe Prime Minister, on behalf of the British Government, reaffirms that they will uphold the democratic wish of the greater number of the people of Northern Ireland on the issue of whether they prefer to support the Union or a sovereign united Ireland. On this basis, he reiterates, on the behalf of the British Government, that they have no selfish strategic or economic interest in Northern Ireland. Their primary interest is to see peace, stability and reconciliation established by agreement among all the people inhabit the island, and they will work together with the Irish Government to achieve such an agreement, which will embrace the totality of relationships.

Downing Street Declaration, 1993

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 18, 2011, 11:28:49 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on May 18, 2011, 08:56:42 PM
some of the events this week have been a step too far. partition seems to have been copper fastened. the queen has been paraded around like some sort of celebrity with the usual suspects lining up to kiss ass. any dissenting voices are quickly ridiculed as only speaking for a minority. have to say im really disappointed with the down co.board decision to partake in todays sham at croke park. a united ulster non show would have sent the gaa a strong message
Not just the GAA; the non-GAA people of NI will have got the message, too... ::)

You do know who Samuel Maguire was EG  ::)

The G.A.A. is all its membership not just a tiny minority.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Maguire01

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 18, 2011, 11:29:12 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 18, 2011, 11:23:39 PM

The Nelson McCauslands of this world will always find ways to pick holes in the GAA and gaelic culture in general.  Out of 32 counties, only five were not represented. People like EG would rather focus on the 5 who were absent rather than the 27 who were present.
I wouldn't equate EG with McCausland. I fully acknowledge that some people will never be happy and will always look to pick holes.

Although surely, from his perspective, as a Unionist, the fact that the 5 counties were those from Norn Iron is the issue.

red hander

As a Tyrone man, I'm proud my county wasn't represented