Get ready to wave them flegs - Lily Windsor's coming

Started by Fiodoir Ard Mhacha, June 23, 2010, 06:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 18, 2011, 06:45:11 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 18, 2011, 06:35:49 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 18, 2011, 05:29:19 PM
Interesting that only 1 of the 9 Ulster counties accepted invitation, speaks volumes that those most affected decided not yet, this to me should be respected more than any other viewpoint.

Oh, so Down wasn't affected by the troubles then? That business in Loughinisland didn't happen? Nobody was blown up in Warrenpoint?
I wasnt having a go at Down although i cant get my head around them turning up and Im glad most stayed away though and was just pointing that out.
Wasn't it Down that submitted the motion to abolish Rule 21? If so then that tells me that a county that was deeply affected by the troubles wanted to work to put those events in the past and build a better future. I can get my head around that quite easily.

Let's not forget all those protestant children playing hurling in the north under the CuChullain initiative. Won't it be reassuring to their unionist parents that their head of state is being treated so respectfully by the association?

And let's not forget the children in Britain playing gaelic games. Those GAA members will be reassured that the association is respectful to them and their traditions too. Right?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: The Worker on May 18, 2011, 06:50:48 PM
great to see iris back on the scene....id still give her 1!  :P

If you're over 20 then you might be too old for her.

gallsman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 18, 2011, 06:50:34 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on May 18, 2011, 06:39:10 PM
Or, to put it another way, you have finally got your "Nation Once Again"; the only problem is, it is a 26 county nation, with the hope of acquiring the other sic Irish counties receding with every year of peace etc enjoyed by Northern Ireland.
I wouldn't count on that. Every year of peace builds new bridges between catholics and protestants, and protestants will gradually lose this anti-catholic gaelophobia that pollutes their minds.

Other than a rather dreadful sweeping generalisation there, don't count on that either.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 18, 2011, 11:04:10 AMNow, there is another matter to consider; when we speak of a united Ireland, it is well to keep in mind that not all the people of the island wish see this come about.
All of them are not from the Unionist side of the fence either.
I would safely say that, for everyone living Irish person who wants to see a United Ireland, there is at least one other who doesn't give a damn or who would actively oppose it.
That is the stark reality; I have no hang ups at all about the Garden or what stands for but there are many who have. 
Agree 100%.

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 18, 2011, 11:04:10 AM
We will never have any form of a United Ireland until all parties concerned come to a mutual understanding will respect all traditions.

I think the Queen started the process yesterday.
Agree that mutual respect and understanding etc are a pre-requisite for any UI.

However, I do not agree that if/when we do finally achieve complete mutual respect and understanding, then a UI must inevitably follow.

As I see it, this weeks events are like a big party, to which everyone has been invited.

But although both Unionism and Nationalism* have agreed to accept their invite, there's still no sign of them "sharing a taxi home" afterwards!  ;)

* - SF excepted
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: AQMP on May 18, 2011, 12:35:31 PMActually I get the feeling from speaking to some Northern Unionists that they don't know quite how to react to the visit either (once again what we have in common is greater than what divides us? :P)
Understand what you're saying, but if we can eg stomach the sight of Martin McGuinness in government in Stormont, then the sight of Her Majesty in Dublin, even in the Garden of Remembrance, shouldn't be that  hard to swallow.

Quote from: AQMP on May 18, 2011, 12:35:31 PMOne woman I spoke to this morning said she found the Garden of Remembrance uncomfortable because she had been brought up to believe that Pearse et al were terrorists.
Aye, but whether they be "terrorists" or "freedom fighters", the point is that they're dead and she and you aren't.

Therefore if the likes of you and she can get along, Pearse et al are mere history.

Literally.  :D
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

seafoid

ziggysego

Evil Genuis, of someone of the Unionist persuasion, what it the feeling amongst Unionist of the Queen visiting such places as The Garden of Remembrance and Croke Park. Positive signs or look upon with mistrust and suspicion?
Testing Accessibility

seafoid

I think it's fabulous that Eilis 2 gets to go to Porky Croky and it gets broadcast all over the world. 
Especially the hurling at 19 minutes

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1098675

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 18, 2011, 07:15:01 PM
Quote from: AQMP on May 18, 2011, 12:35:31 PMActually I get the feeling from speaking to some Northern Unionists that they don't know quite how to react to the visit either (once again what we have in common is greater than what divides us? :P)
Understand what you're saying, but if we can eg stomach the sight of Martin McGuinness in government in Stormont, then the sight of Her Majesty in Dublin, even in the Garden of Remembrance, shouldn't be that  hard to swallow.

Shouldn't be, but Gregory Campbell, the unionist whiner-in-chief, has found something to pick holes in. He has complained about HM paying respects to the fallen in the war of independence.  But apart from that he welcomes the trip. Seems to be doing a bit of token opposition while welcoming the trip. A bit like SF.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 18, 2011, 06:55:49 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 18, 2011, 05:29:19 PM
When is she due to make her statement?

Interesting that only 1 of the 9 Ulster counties accepted invitation, speaks volumes that those most affected decided not yet, this to me should be respected more than any other viewpoint.
Seriously? Monaghan / Donegal / Cavan declined as well?
All the info i got through media i might add said only 1 county from Ulster attended so im assuming that yes Monaghan, Donegal and Cavan declined as they are part of Ulster but the media could be wrong or have meant the occupied 6 counties which it should of said 4/9 Ulster counties were present.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Shouldnt we show soldidarity with those affected most by the british in Ireland, i think the gaa keep your mouth shut campaign is dictatorial, and awful act of censoring. Why are those affected most so disrespected?

I actually think cooney, kelly, mcaleese, etc.. did this more for ego reasons than anything else, self importance bs.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 18, 2011, 08:19:06 PM
Shouldnt we show soldidarity with those affected most by the british in Ireland, i think the gaa keep your mouth shut campaign is dictatorial, and awful act of censoring. Why are those affected most so disrespected?

I actually think cooney, kelly, mcaleese, etc.. did this more for ego reasons than anything else, self importance bs.

I'm with you Sligonian. The una duce, una voce stuff from the media this week has been sickening.

I feel sorry for the lads in the wee six. For ninety years we thought they might join us, somebody. Now it looks like all the momentum is the other way. We'll back under the crown soon enough.

Not as part of the United Kingdom, of course - that could be coming to an end itself, now the Scots have the drop of oil to make them brave. But Britain may end up being some of federation and Ireland will be once again united under the crown. Dominion status. Home rule, of a kind. Using sterling for money because the Euro will have gone wallop, the people having thrown their hats at any notion of standing for themselves among the nations of the Earth and enjoying the sweet benefits of the NHS and a fully functional welfare state.

I haven't been able to read papers this week or look at the news. I don't recognise this country any more. I don't. It's utterly heartbreaking.

Blowitupref

To be far both herself & Phil are looking well for their age.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 18, 2011, 05:17:53 PM
:
In this federations idea, would you allow the 26 counties to surrender some of it's power to the UK so that it would have equal ties to the UK as you would picture the six counties to have? If not, then is that not telling me that your right to full Independence from Britain supersedes mine?

[/quote]

The Dáil would be the local Parliamnet for the 26 Cos looking after internal affairs and Stormont would be similar for the 6 Cos.
The Dáil  would cede some of their powers to an All Ireland Government/Parliament/Confederacy/Congress or whateverwhile Westminster would cede all of their overlordship of the 6 Cos..
As there would be a large 45% ish minority in the 6 Cos who would still consider themselves British there would need to be a mechanism for them to retain British citizenship/passports if they so wish. 
There would likely be some sort of formal Brit link e.g 6 Cos remain in Commonwealth ( a rather meaningless body ) and you can have all the freedom you want .
All this federation stuff is my own idea of how the future All Ireland entity might work out so that all sorts can feel they belong.
I strongly suspect Nally that you want a United Ireland to stick it into Unionists like they did to Nationalists in the 6 Cos from 1922 to 72.
As for 5 of the 6 Co GAA Units staying away from Croke Pk today while Mrs windsor was there ... that's their perogative ... but will they turn down the oul grants  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Rossfan on May 18, 2011, 08:37:07 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 18, 2011, 05:17:53 PM
:
In this federations idea, would you allow the 26 counties to surrender some of  it's power to the UK so that it would have equal ties to the UK as you would picture the six counties to have? If not, then is that not telling me that your right to full Independence from Britain supersedes mine?

The Dáil would be the local Parliamnet for the 26 Cos looking after internal affairs and Stormont would be similar for the 6 Cos.
The Dáil  would cede some of their powers to an All Ireland Government/Parliament/Confederacy/Congress or whateverwhile Westminster would cede all of their overlordship of the 6 Cos..
As there would be a large 45% ish minority in the 6 Cos who would still consider themselves British there would need to be a mechanism for them to retain British citizenship/passports if they so wish. 
There would likely be some sort of formal Brit link e.g 6 Cos remain in Commonwealth ( a rather meaningless body ) and you can have all the freedom you want .
All this federation stuff is my own idea of how the future All Ireland entity might work out so that all sorts can feel they belong.
I strongly suspect Nally that you want a United Ireland to stick it into Unionists like they did to Nationalists in the 6 Cos from 1922 to 72.
As for 5 of the 6 Co GAA Units staying away from Croke Pk today while Mrs windsor was there ... that's their perogative ... but will they turn down the oul grants  ;)
[/quote]

The people in the 6 counties work and pay tax, unlike queen Elizabeth, and are as entitled to any grants going as anyone else.