Get ready to wave them flegs - Lily Windsor's coming

Started by Fiodoir Ard Mhacha, June 23, 2010, 06:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

WTF ?

Queen may pay tribute to Irish rebels in Dublin visit
The Garden of Remembrance in Dublin commemorates those who died for Irish freedom The Queen may pay tribute to Irish men and women who fought British forces when she visits Dublin later this year.

A former Irish cabinet minister said it was normal protocol for a visiting head of state to lay a wreath at Dublin's Garden of Remembrance.

The garden is dedicated to those who died for Irish Freedom.

Officials in Dublin and at Buckingham Palace said the Queen's itinerary has not been finalised and declined to comment further.

What is expected to be a three-day visit is expected in two months' time.

It will be the first visit by a British monarch to the south of Ireland in 100 years and has been billed as a hugely symbolic moment in relations between Britain and the Irish Republic.

The last British Monarch to visit Dublin was George V who inspected what was then part of his realm in 1911.

In tonight's Spotlight programme, Eamon O'Cuiv, a member of the former Fianna Fail-led government that gave the go-ahead to Irish President Mary McAleese to issue the invitation, said: "This is the head of state of our neighbouring country, and of course the normal protocol in these affairs are followed.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Nally Stand on September 20, 2010, 10:35:49 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on September 20, 2010, 02:19:52 AM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on September 19, 2010, 09:30:59 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on September 19, 2010, 08:38:43 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on September 18, 2010, 06:29:08 PM
I think it's a great idea, but I can't see unionists buying into it for the very reason you identify, namely that it would demonstrate that Ireland is one country, not two.

There is bigger resistance in the Dailto this than in Stormont.

I thought it looked stupid today watching a Down woman be paraded along by Coulter introducing the Down team to her and not one of them can vote for her.
Is she not from North Belfast?

So she can stand in an election she can't vote in? OK....

County Down I thought? Either way, the first President who is eligible to stand in an election she cant vote in. Partitionism: A disease rampant in Ireland.
Pardon me if I am wrong but I think Mrs McAleese is entitled to vote in any election in the Republic that takes her fancy. She is entitled to carry an Irish passport as a person born on this island. Dual citizenship applies to everyone in Northern Ireland, doesn't it?
I certainly recall a news clip of Mary casting her vote in some election or other in a school beside the park.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 15, 2011, 10:47:19 PM
Pardon me if I am wrong but I think Mrs McAleese is entitled to vote in any election in the Republic that takes her fancy. She is entitled to carry an Irish passport as a person born on this island. Dual citizenship applies to everyone in Northern Ireland, doesn't it?
I certainly recall a news clip of Mary casting her vote in some election or other in a school beside the park.

She couldn't vote in the first election she stood in.  However, haven taken up residence in the park she could register and vote locally there in all relevant elections.

/Jim.

Jim_Murphy_74

Full statement from the GAA:

The Gaelic Athletic Association has for well over a hundred years embodied and taken its stand with the mood of the nation, culturally, socially and politically. In unity with our players, administrators and supporters throughout the island and abroad, we were strongly committed advocates of the peace process, and we have welcomed, supported and celebrated the developing reconciliation which has resulted from the Good Friday Agreement and its endorsement by the people, North and South, in referenda.

We now welcome the further development of this process, and the consequential deepening of relationships, which will flow from the invitation by President McAleese to Queen Elizabeth to pay a State visit to Ireland. The GAA is pleased to have been asked to receive Queen Elizabeth, accompanied by President McAleese, at our headquarters in Croke Park and to showcase our stadium and facilities to the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and their accompanying party. We believe that this request reflects and acknowledges the special place of the GAA in the life and history of the nation.

We are confident that this historic visit to Croke Park will be welcomed by those who play, administer and support our games, at home and abroad, including of course throughout Britain. We hope also that it will encourage a greater interest and participation in our games by our fellow Irishmen and women of the Unionist tradition.

The visit to Croke Park will provide the Uachtarán of Cumann Lúthchleas Gael with the opportunity to convey to the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh a sense of the history and values of the Gaelic Athletic Association, and its unique and leading place in Irish society.

In the best traditions of our Association, we will extend a warm welcome to Croke Park - a Céad Míle Fáilte - to Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh, accompanied by the President and Dr. McAleese.

The GAA will be making no further comment.

Jim_Murphy_74

County Down I thought? Either way, the first President who is eligible to stand in an election she cant vote in. Partitionism: A disease rampant in Ireland.

Or Partitionism: A reflection of reality in Ireland?

/Jim.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on April 07, 2011, 06:11:23 PM

/Jim.

Patriotism can be another rampant disease.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thejuice

Quote from: orangeman on March 15, 2011, 09:43:21 PM

The Garden of Remembrance in Dublin commemorates those who died for Irish freedom The Queen may pay tribute to Irish men and women who fought British forces when she visits Dublin later this year.

A former Irish cabinet minister said it was normal protocol for a visiting head of state to lay a wreath at Dublin's Garden of Remembrance.

Jaysis, the worlds gone mad. Anyone else think of the episode of Father Ted where he kicks the bishop up the arse when you read the bit about her laying a wreath.

Sorry, I know we're all supposed to have stopped thinking like that,

OK Mr Juice,

Write 100 times:

"We played rugby in Croker and everything changed, changed uttlerly."
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Nally Stand

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 07, 2011, 07:08:24 PM

/Jim.

So on partitionism, we just have to accept it and live with it & with patriotism, be wary of it as it is a bad thing?

Spoken like a true FGer.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: thejuice on April 07, 2011, 08:33:34 PM
Quote from: orangeman on March 15, 2011, 09:43:21 PM

Jaysis, the worlds gone mad. Anyone else think of the episode of Father Ted where he kicks the bishop up the arse when you read the bit about her laying a wreath.

Sorry, I know we're all supposed to have stopped thinking like that,

OK Mr Juice,

Write 100 times:

"We played rugby in Corker and everything changed, changed uttlerly."

is that beside Kerryer and Limericker
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 07, 2011, 08:58:44 PM

/Jim.

So on partitionism, we just have to accept it and live with it & with patriotism, be wary of it as it is a bad thing?

Spoken like a true FGer.

Patriotism is fine in limited measures. Extreme patriotism is a nasty thing. Also remember the other side can resort to patriotism too (thats if you believe there is anotherside).

On parition, the rights and wrongs of the original partition of Ireland is in the past. The fact is, is that our island is partitioned, until the majority of the populations of the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland choose to judge otherwise, that is the way it is. End of story.

Nally Stand

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 07, 2011, 09:28:40 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on April 07, 2011, 08:58:44 PM

/Jim.

Spoken like a true FGer.

Patriotism is fine in limited measures. Extreme patriotism is a nasty thing. Also remember the other side can resort to patriotism too (thats if you believe there is anotherside).

On parition, the rights and wrongs of the original partition of Ireland is in the past. The fact is, is that our island is partitioned, until the majority of the populations of the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland choose to judge otherwise, that is the way it is. End of story.

"The rights and wrongs of the original partition of Ireland is in the past"?? Again, spoken like a true FGer. The complete WRONG of partition is very much in the present as far as I'm concerned. Respect for my unionist neighbours doesn't mean that I have to regard partition as no longer an issue or no longer wrong. It is WRONG.

On patriotism; well anything is fine in moderation, and excess of anything can be bad. Just seems odd that you bring the "dangers" of patriotism into the thing all of a sudden. Anyway partition is a reality - I don't deny that, but I also don't think that just because it is a reality, nothing can be done to hasten it's end and that we should just forget about it in the meantime. To hasten it's end, people north and south who claim to aspire to Irish Unity should drop partitionist mindsets, attitudes and language. It is the partitionist mindset which I described as a disease. And a disease is what it is.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Go home ref

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on April 07, 2011, 06:09:40 PM
Full statement from the GAA:

The Gaelic Athletic Association has for well over a hundred years embodied and taken its stand with the mood of the nation, culturally, socially and politically. In unity with our players, administrators and supporters throughout the island and abroad, we were strongly committed advocates of the peace process, and we have welcomed, supported and celebrated the developing reconciliation which has resulted from the Good Friday Agreement and its endorsement by the people, North and South, in referenda.

We now welcome the further development of this process, and the consequential deepening of relationships, which will flow from the invitation by President McAleese to Queen Elizabeth to pay a State visit to Ireland. The GAA is pleased to have been asked to receive Queen Elizabeth, accompanied by President McAleese, at our headquarters in Croke Park and to showcase our stadium and facilities to the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and their accompanying party. We believe that this request reflects and acknowledges the special place of the GAA in the life and history of the nation.

We are confident that this historic visit to Croke Park will be welcomed by those who play, administer and support our games, at home and abroad, including of course throughout Britain. We hope also that it will encourage a greater interest and participation in our games by our fellow Irishmen and women of the Unionist tradition.

The visit to Croke Park will provide the Uachtarán of Cumann Lúthchleas Gael with the opportunity to convey to the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh a sense of the history and values of the Gaelic Athletic Association, and its unique and leading place in Irish society.

In the best traditions of our Association, we will extend a warm welcome to Croke Park - a Céad Míle Fáilte - to Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh, accompanied by the President and Dr. McAleese.

The GAA will be making no further comment.

This is a disgrace to the founders of the GAA shame on Cristy Cooney and the leadership of the GAA.

muppet

Reagan - no visit to Croke Park.
Clinton - no visit to Croke Park.
JKF - nope.
Prince Rainier - nope.

Has it occurred to anyone why she might be going to Croke Park?

MWWSI 2017