Started by Dinny Breen, June 23, 2010, 01:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spuds

would like to add my condolences to his family and those who knew him
R.I.P.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

ross matt

Today FM confirmed it about 20 minutes ago. First of all sympathies to his wife, children, family etc who had the hateful experience of witnessing a man of such mental and physical prowess succumb so quickly to this illness.

Like all Rossies in their late 30s onwards I grew up wanting to be that man. I first watched him play in the late 70s. By then he's been playing for a decade having played minor, u-21 & senior for the county in the same year. He won an u-21 AI medal in the mid 60s, 5 connacht seniors, an NFL in '79 and 2 Allstars. More than all that though he won universal respect as a footballer and a person throughout the entire country.

Dermot embodied a decency and honour that was linked to the past. The primrose and blue of Roscommon and Green, white and gold of the national flag clearly meant so much to him and he seemed aware of the responsibility of never tarnishing either during his football and army career.

The man had so much presence. Powerful, athletic build. Jet black hair. Ramrod straight military stance particularly evident during national anthems or when he was squaring up to a free. The complete footballer. He could soar like an eagle for a high ball, solo through a defence like a bull dozer, kick with both feet and was a prolific free taker.

So many memories..... the one Muppet just mentioned. That was was his last match. The 1985 connacht final. The mayo players did indeed shoulder his off the pitch. A sporting gesture that was unheard of by the mid 80s. His last act before the final whistle was to clip a 14 yard free over the bar. The score had no bearing on the result but everyone present knew the future historical significance of it. In the match leading up to it v Galway he gave an epic display at wing forward in his 37th year. At one stage he caught a ball over his head with one hand . The late Enda Colleran drew great attention to it that night on the sunday game. He broke his jaw in that match and went iff to a standing ovation from both sets of supporters. I remember him fighing to keep our hopes alive in the 2nd half of the 19080 final when he was marking a young jacko. He buried the late great Tim Kennelly with a shoulder in that match that Aldridge pulled him up for. Summed up that day. "The fear of losing overcame the desire to win" was Earley's apt take on Roscommon's agonising lossthat day after such a great start. His last chance to win the celtic cross he so deserved. I rember him being shouldered off by jubilant supporters after the '79 league win over Cork. later that year they lost the all ireland semi by a point versus the Dubs. I clearly remember Bernard brogan senior taking off on a solo run only for Dermot to cleanly snatch the ball off him from behind without touching him and taking off on a solo run of his own in the opposite direction. If anyone goes to u-tube and looks up great gaa goals they will see the rocket he fired in against galway in the '81 league final.

he was so far aheadd of his time in terms of his fitness and how he looked after himself. He practiced the skilss of the game tirelessly. He played 20 years intercounty footballl. Then managed Kildare and Ross. His army career gave all people hwo supported him as a player so much pride. He was also a very proud connacht man as anyone who heard him speak about provincial pride will recall dureing his time with the united nations in new york.

Despite all the above he remained a complete gentleman who had time for evryone. True Gael, patriot & legend. RIP. We will never see his like again.

Farrandeelin

RIP Dermot. Don't remember him play but my dad said he was one of the finest players that ever graced the playing fields of Ireland.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

I started a thread on this yesterday, but the gaaboard mods decided to take it down, anyways rip dermot a true gentleman on and off the field, you will be missed but never forgotten
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muscles magoo

I was at that game as a young lad in 1985 - one of my earliest GAA memories.
One of the all time legends of Connacht Football without any doubt - RIP

orangeman

Quote from: ross matt on June 23, 2010, 01:51:44 PM
Today FM confirmed it about 20 minutes ago. First of all sympathies to his wife, children, family etc who had the hateful experience of witnessing a man of such mental and physical prowess succumb so quickly to this illness.

Like all Rossies in their late 30s onwards I grew up wanting to be that man. I first watched him play in the late 70s. By then he's been playing for a decade having played minor, u-21 & senior for the county in the same year. He won an u-21 AI medal in the mid 60s, 5 connacht seniors, an NFL in '79 and 2 Allstars. More than all that though he won universal respect as a footballer and a person throughout the entire country.

Dermot embodied a decency and honour that was linked to the past. The primrose and blue of Roscommon and Green, white and gold of the national flag clearly meant so much to him and he seemed aware of the responsibility of never tarnishing either during his football and army career.

The man had so much presence. Powerful, athletic build. Jet black hair. Ramrod straight military stance particularly evident during national anthems or when he was squaring up to a free. The complete footballer. He could soar like an eagle for a high ball, solo through a defence like a bull dozer, kick with both feet and was a prolific free taker.

So many memories..... the one Muppet just mentioned. That was was his last match. The 1985 connacht final. The mayo players did indeed shoulder his off the pitch. A sporting gesture that was unheard of by the mid 80s. His last act before the final whistle was to clip a 14 yard free over the bar. The score had no bearing on the result but everyone present knew the future historical significance of it. In the match leading up to it v Galway he gave an epic display at wing forward in his 37th year. At one stage he caught a ball over his head with one hand . The late Enda Colleran drew great attention to it that night on the sunday game. He broke his jaw in that match and went iff to a standing ovation from both sets of supporters. I remember him fighing to keep our hopes alive in the 2nd half of the 19080 final when he was marking a young jacko. He buried the late great Tim Kennelly with a shoulder in that match that Aldridge pulled him up for. Summed up that day. "The fear of losing overcame the desire to win" was Earley's apt take on Roscommon's agonising lossthat day after such a great start. His last chance to win the celtic cross he so deserved. I rember him being shouldered off by jubilant supporters after the '79 league win over Cork. later that year they lost the all ireland semi by a point versus the Dubs. I clearly remember Bernard brogan senior taking off on a solo run only for Dermot to cleanly snatch the ball off him from behind without touching him and taking off on a solo run of his own in the opposite direction. If anyone goes to u-tube and looks up great gaa goals they will see the rocket he fired in against galway in the '81 league final.

he was so far aheadd of his time in terms of his fitness and how he looked after himself. He practiced the skilss of the game tirelessly. He played 20 years intercounty footballl. Then managed Kildare and Ross. His army career gave all people hwo supported him as a player so much pride. He was also a very proud connacht man as anyone who heard him speak about provincial pride will recall dureing his time with the united nations in new york.

Despite all the above he remained a complete gentleman who had time for evryone. True Gael, patriot & legend. RIP. We will never see his like again.

+1 to all of that.

FL/MAYO

westmayo

RIP and my sympathy's to his family.

5 Sams

Very sad to hear this....I remember him playing like it was yesterday. It is no exaggeration to say he was an all time great....up there with the great midfielders of the 70s such as Mullins, O'Shea, Walsh McAlarney, etc.

RIP Dermot
The Aristocrat Years

T O Hare

"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Jinxy

Watching him on All-Ireland Gold he stood out as an outstanding athlete and footballer.
He truly was one of the all-time greats.
My condolences to his family & friends.
RIP Dermot.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hedley Lamarr

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

Donnellys Hollow

A true Roscommon legend and a great friend of Sarsfields and Kildare GAA. He will be sadly missed.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam uasal.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

diehard

A truly great footballer, a gentleman, a credit to his family, his county, the GAA and his country.
Go ndeana Dia Trócaire air.

Croí na hÉireann

Awful news, that Roscommon team with himself & Tony McManus always comes to mind when I hear the name Roscommon, a tragedy he never got to enjoy his retirement, ar dheis Dé go raibh a ainm.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...