USFC Final 2010, Clones, Sunday 18th July: Tír Eoghain vs Muineachán

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, June 20, 2010, 05:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schkite

Quote from: ONeill on July 05, 2010, 11:53:47 PM
The Monaghan men on the board - Schkite, Maguire and Grandmasterflash - that's the build up like down Oriel way? Is it a big, big deal - moreso than 2007 - or has that experience made it a more measured affair?

Not arse-boxin but I'm sure that, although it's Tyrone they're playing, there's big expectations.

Pretty much as Maguire and GMF say, there's more confidence that this Monaghan team can beat Tyrone, but at the same time everyone is still very wary of Tyrone and see it very much as a tough mission to beat them. Expectation is higher than in recent years but not to the stage of people fully expecting Monaghan to beat Tyrone, everyone knows the difficulty of the task at hand.

Maguire01

One of the Tyrone posters questioned the respect / fear factors earlier in the thread. Banty has summed it up nicely:

Quote"It is a huge task, one we are looking forward to. We totally respect Tyrone. They have won three All-Irelands and are possible the best team I've seen leave Ulster from I have started to watch football.

"But we don't fear them. We don't fear anybody. This group of players has a belief within themselves. It is about pushing on from where we are," added the Corduff man.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fuzzman

was 2005 the last Ulster final that went to a draw?

I have to give it to ye farney crew that you're certainly approaching the game the right way.

I still think if SoN plays Tyrone will win but I'm not convinced he will play the whole game. 

Schkite

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 06, 2010, 08:42:08 PM
was 2005 the last Ulster final that went to a draw?

I have to give it to ye farney crew that you're certainly approaching the game the right way.

I still think if SoN plays Tyrone will win but I'm not convinced he will play the whole game.

Armagh - Fermanagh 2008.

Main Street

Banty does talk some bull occasionally, but even when he obviously goes way overboard with the flattery, there will always be some Tyronies around to swallow it wholesale.
We won't be playing yesteryear's team.

Well actually, maybe we are playing yesteryear's team.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Main Street on July 06, 2010, 10:53:27 PM
Banty does talk some bull occasionally, but even when he obviously goes way overboard with the flattery, there will always be some Tyronies around to swallow it wholesale.

I know what you mean:

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 06, 2010, 08:09:51 PM
"But we don't fear them. We don't fear anybody.

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 05, 2010, 11:36:43 PM
Quote from: Schkite on July 05, 2010, 11:05:12 PM
Christ almighty! Obviously I want us to win Ulster and get into a quarter-final that way, but if we lost and then get to the quarter-final, the sight of being drawn against Kerry yet again would make me cry!
+1

Some rubbish all right  :D

GrandMasterFlash

I see the beeb have it that O'Neill is doubtful: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8794959.stm. The injury looked innocuous enough but was obviously worse than first feared..

There's no point in dressing it up, that's advantage Monaghan. Even if the man's on the pitch that's your best defender tied up and possibly the dreaded sweeper system too to cut supply into him. If he doesn't make it would it likely be M Penrose, S O'Neill, O Mulligan in the FF line with Brian McGuigan starting at CHF? I thought he done enough there the last day to merit a start..

Gaffer

Banty's  favourite expression

"We emptied the tank out there"
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 06, 2010, 11:08:29 PM

I know what you mean:

Christ almighty! Obviously I want us to win Ulster and get into a quarter-final that way, but if we lost and then get to the quarter-final, the sight of being drawn against Kerry yet again would make me cry!
+1

You'll have to elaborate for me Strabane Man (considering there are quite a few mushrooms between my ears). I'm not getting your joined up thinking here?!  ::)

Schkite

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 06, 2010, 11:08:29 PM

I know what you mean:

+1

What I meant there, it's not so much that we're "afraid" of Kerry(although they'd obviously be one of the toughest draws going and still wouldn't want to draw them), but that it would be de-ja vu all over again! Kerry are the only non-Ulster team we've played in the championship since 2006 FFS! Seriously getting sick of the sight of some teams!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Schkite on July 06, 2010, 11:17:37 PM
What I meant there, it's not so much that we're "afraid" of Kerry(although they'd obviously be one of the toughest draws going and still wouldn't want to draw them), but that it would be de-ja vu all over again! Kerry are the only non-Ulster team we've played in the championship since 2006 FFS! Seriously getting sick of the sight of some teams!

I'll give you the benefit of my doubt there Schkite; maybe it's because we laugh (uncontrollably) with joy any time we draw Kerry that we automatically interpret anyone who sheds a tear as being fearful of them  ;)

Zapatista

"But we don't fear them. We don't fear anybody. This group of players has a belief within themselves. It is about pushing on from where we are," added the Corduff man. [/size] [/quote]
[/quote]

I was only messing about respect earlier. Good of Banty to address it all the same. My view on it would be, if he is serious then he is conceding ground. I'd be letting my players know that they will not be getting any respect. What would you be respecting them about? Claiming you'll respect them automatically makes you inferior.

ONeill

Jeepers O'Neill has tara bad luck with injuries.

If he doesn't start it more than likely frees up that CHF slot with Sean moving to FF. Tommy/Brian battle perhaps. As you say, going by the Down game, Brian has put in some claim.

I wonder how close McGinley, Mellon, McCullagh or Coney are to starting. I'd like to see P Harte getting a wing half forward spot with either Ricey or Davy back at 5.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Club Rossa

Considering that Kyle Coney hasn't been used in the championship yet,its highly unlikely that he's in Harte's thoughts for a start.