Derry V Carlow

Started by tonesfirstandlast, June 14, 2010, 10:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonesfirstandlast

Is this the first time these two counties have met at any level in football?
A great chance for Paddy Bradley to push out his Ulster scoring record even further.

Man Marker

Very strange for a poster who talks about how much he loves club football all the time on this board and has no love for Derry county football to be starting a thread about who Derry play. I found it funny, but this board is where you will find the hypocrites

Catch and Kick

No its not the first time they have met at any level. Not very often mind you but they did clash in the NFL in the 80's I think...
Big Brendan Murphy is out for this one and will be a big loss.
Great for Carlow to have a team like Derry visit Dr Cullen Park.

Dinny Breen

QuoteGreat for Carlow to have a team like Derry visit Dr Cullen Park.

Ha! Who could be excited by the visit of Derry, a team that are distinctly mid-tier. At least if they drew Wicklow, Laois or Kildare you'd get a bit of banter and a bumper gate but Derry!!!!
#newbridgeornowhere

fer fox ache

They met in the league in either 03 or 04 I think during Derry's 2-year stint in 2B

omagh_gael

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on June 14, 2010, 10:02:23 AM
Is this the first time these two counties have met at any level in football?
A great chance for Paddy Bradley to push out his Ulster scoring record even further.

Since when have Carlow played in the Ulster championship or is Paddy getting special dispensation to extend his ulster scoring record saying it's his last year?

Overthebar!

any of the carlow posters got any info on where to go out or stay? should be a crowd of us heading down....maybe stop off in dublin on the friday night to break the journey up! :D

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: Man Marker on June 14, 2010, 11:17:43 AM
Very strange for a poster who talks about how much he loves club football all the time on this board and has no love for Derry county football to be starting a thread about who Derry play. I found it funny, but this board is where you will find the hypocrites

For a Tyrone man you have a very peculiar  interest in Derry football.

Oakleafer1993

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 14, 2010, 11:33:02 AM
QuoteGreat for Carlow to have a team like Derry visit Dr Cullen Park.

Ha! Who could be excited by the visit of Derry, a team that are distinctly mid-tier. At least if they drew Wicklow, Laois or Kildare you'd get a bit of banter and a bumper gate but Derry!!!!

You are right Derry have not been setting the world alight at the moment - but we fecking ahead of Kildare when it comes to football.

Will Hunting

Saturday 26 June: Carlow v Derry (Dr Cullen Park, 1700 BST)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8737968.stm

Ignore the BBC article when it says July (throughout the article).

stevecw

Horrible draw for us in Carlow. Once we saw London drawn out, that was our only hope of a win gone!
But still was hoping for a Tipp/Clare/Longford or someone like that who on a good day we might beat.

We are missing our only top class player Brendan Murphy who is suspended. To add to that 2 of our other better young players who were also part of our good U-21 side are gone to play football in America for the summer.

We got hammered by Dublin and Laois in recent challenges since we lost to Wicklow so to be honest I am dreading this game.

Donegal last year, Derry this year...we are having no luck with these damn qualifier draws.

Dinny Breen

Stevecw, you keep leaking late goals even in those challenge games against Dublin and Laois, it's like the Carlow defenders are afraid to put in a challenge, stop leaking soft goals and who knows..
#newbridgeornowhere

JMohan

I'd say a few in Derry are secretly hoping this championship ends fast and they can start looking for the Baker!

Bogball XV

Quote from: JMohan on June 14, 2010, 07:46:02 PM
I'd say a few in Derry are secretly hoping this championship ends fast and they can start looking for the Baker!
i'd say the baker could be making a quick exit from the championship this year himself, management aint our problem, the last 4/5 years should have shown us that.

stevecw

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 14, 2010, 07:07:22 PM
Stevecw, you keep leaking late goals even in those challenge games against Dublin and Laois, it's like the Carlow defenders are afraid to put in a challenge, stop leaking soft goals and who knows..

Yeah its the goals that are killing us. We concede way too many, 3 against Wicklow was the difference as we matched them for points. We conceded 4 goals v Dublin and 3 v Laois too. Our backs are very poor, and have been weakened further with an injury and one of them going off to Boston for the summer.
We have 2 really good keepers on the panel but despite how well they play or saves they make, they always end up letting in at least 3 goals thanks to our crap defence. Dreading what the Bradleys & co will do to us Saturday week!!