Longford v Mayo 26th June

Started by Redgreenery, June 13, 2010, 09:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Well I have to say it again that McGarrity is no good when the chips are down. I witnessed it on Sunday! Bloody hell, the Ballina midfield were wiped out when it came for breaking ball and that was him playing in a club match. I don't think O'Mahony will drop him though and Trevor Mortimer will hardly be dropped either and it makes my blood boil.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Billys Boots

QuoteWell done lads in general - good start to this thread. I think we reached 45 for Mayo v Sligo. Lets match that!!

That's it lads, lots of chat will sort out your problems.

Take a leaf from the Larries book - there's nothing that can't be solved by a song and a cup of tea.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 16, 2010, 09:01:25 AM
QuoteWell done lads in general - good start to this thread. I think we reached 45 for Mayo v Sligo. Lets match that!!

Take a leaf from the Larries book - there's nothing that can't be solved by a song and a cup of tea.

aye sit back and enjoy the thread Billy one thing us mayo lads can talk about is football ( whether we know anything about it is another story) throw the larries into the mix  and sure this thread could go to infinity and beyond
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Shamrock Shore

Quotethere's nothing that can't be solved by a song and a cup of tea.

and a good mass.......

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 15, 2010, 11:44:45 PM
Yeah very good team forever hopeful. I think you'd be looking at one of McGarrity and Parsons beside O'Shea. Barry Kelly walked off the panel and Pat Harte tore his groin before the Knockmore game and only played with a painkilling injection. He's fucked. No other options.

Aidan O'Shea is a number 11. His form and confidence isn't great at the minute so we do need to bear that in mind but he's a much better 11 than 14. Always has been. Howley being compared to Galvin is ludicrious but he does bring certain qualities to the role you mention and is worth a shot. Vaughan too at 6.

I'd be worried though that JOM will stick with tried and trusted and that the only players to lose out will be Varley, S O'Shea and Tom Cunniffe, the easy fall guys. He won't make the big calls and axe McGarrity, Parsons, Gardiner and Trevor Mortimer.

I would be inclined to agree. You just cant see him make those big calls.

Billys Boots

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 16, 2010, 09:05:57 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on June 16, 2010, 09:01:25 AM

aye sit back and enjoy the thread Billy one thing us mayo lads can talk about is football ( whether we know anything about it is another story) throw the larries into the mix  and sure this thread could go to infinity and beyond

I'm enjoying it already - as I always said to my late Father-in-law (a Crossmolina man btw), if there were All-Irelands for talking Mayo would lead the roll-of-honour.  Just like the Larries might lead a roll-of-honour for muttering darkly.   ;D

highorlow

MacGarrity hasn't played a decent game of football since Ciarian Whealan Polaxed him in 2006.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

GBXII

McGarrity has a turned into a big worry. On his day he can be very good but as the last poster pointed out he hasn't played for God knows how long and he is such a negative influence when things are going wrong. As much as people say Parsons needs to be dropped I would drop him before Parsons to be honest. Problem is lack of alternatives, hopefully Pat Harte can recover and we can see what he has to offer, maybe alongside Seamus O'Shea.

seafoid

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 16, 2010, 09:36:44 AM
Quotethere's nothing that can't be solved by a song and a cup of tea.

and a good mass.......

and a biscuit and a nice sit down

Billys Boots

Altogether now ...

Last night I had a pleasant dream I woke up with a smile
I dreamed that I was back again in dear old Erin's isle
I thought I saw Lough Allen's banks in the valleys down below
It was my lovely Leitrim where the Shannon overflows

Foreverhopeful

Was comparing howley to galvin's style. He obviously not in galvin's league yet!! amazing he never tried there before tho - considering how well he has done for knockmore. He never plays 6 for them. In 2006 Kerry moved donaghy to 14 and it had a massive effect on both Kerry and football. Jom is going to need something like that to get the Mayo supporters back on track. Sadly we all know he will stick with trev, gardiner etc. He'll probably drop the young lads like Seamie o shea , making it seem like their the ones to blame. While not blameless their confidence will be further dented. Mcgarrity is in a major comfort zone. We've been short of midfielers in the county since his debut in 04. He obviously has taken his position for granted. Not his fault, bad management. We have to bench a few of the untouchables for their complete lack of leadership against Sligo. When do you see trev encouraging or cajoling? he's head dow all the time.

Shamrock Shore

From (  :-[ ) Hoganstand. (Sorry but I couldn't find any Longford news on this game anywhere else)

Glenn Ryan admits that being handed a home draw is critical to Longford's chances of defeating Mayo in the All-Ireland football qualifiers.

While the midlanders failed to sparkle against Louth in their Leinster championship exit, they are sure to be a different proposition at Pearse Stadium
(sic) and many see the potential for an upset in this fixture. Longford ended Derry's championship interests at the venue in 2006, while they have also come close to shocking Dublin and Kerry there in recent years.

"The venue was the most important part of the draw, even more than the opposition," Longford boss Ryan told the Irish Examiner.

"We're glad to be playing the first game in Pearse Park. It definitely help but we know that we will be up against it with Mayo."

With star forward Brian Kavanagh expected to return from injury, Ryan has further cause for optimism.

"The lads are all looking forward to it. The game against Louth was a big disappointment, but hopefully we've put that behind us and we'll be able to give the Mayo game our best shot.

"We gave the lads a few weeks off after the defeat and they have all applied themselves well since we got back to training. It's been a good couple of weeks and we're looking forward to getting back paying again."

Farrandeelin

I don't give a shit what I'll be called... I'm going to the game. I wonder what it will cost to get in?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

spuds

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 17, 2010, 03:01:37 PM
I don't give a shit what I'll be called... I'm going to the game.
future generations will be sitting about campfire singing ballads in memory of your dedication to the cause
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 17, 2010, 03:01:37 PM
I don't give a shit what I'll be called... I'm going to the game. I wonder what it will cost to get in?
Bejaysus, you're shaping up as Mayo's antidote to Sligonian. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi