Longford v Mayo 26th June

Started by Redgreenery, June 13, 2010, 09:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Looking forward to it. Horslips in Cork were on that night but that's cancelled so I'll head to Longford and stand in my usual spot behind the town goal to suck in the ball in one half and blow it out the other.

On paper Mayo should have this handy but feck all games are won on paper. I can see Longford being up for this and Glenn Ryan will want to have something on his CV as he looks over to the Curragh for his next assignment.

Farrandeelin

Well surely to Jesus our lads should be up for this one. But I still am not convinced about McGarrity at centre-field. He offered nothing for Ballina yesterday in the second half when things were tight. We all know that this is a huge game for Johnno and Co. We should win it, if the heads are right, however if any sort of complacency set in at all and it becomes a dogfight, Mayo could be in serious trouble. If it's not a dogfight, we will win it handily.

Suppose throwin will be at 7.30?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Dinny Breen

QuoteI can see Longford being up for this and Glenn Ryan will want to have something on his CV as he looks over to the Curragh for his next assignment.

Whats the opinion on Glenn up there SS?
#newbridgeornowhere

muppet

Castlebar Mitchels played Eire Og of Carlow the year we got to the Club Final (the less said about that the better) in Longford. And that trip taught me how to avoid the traffic jam in the middle of the town.

I'll be there but the question is whether it is worth making an overnight trip? If we had got Donegal or someone like that I'd stay up the Saturday but Longford isn't too far from Dublin. What do the locals think?
MWWSI 2017

Shamrock Shore

Dinny

I am not quite sure what the view of Glen is. Certainly his right hand man (physical fitness) has few friends but as for Ryan himself perhaps Laurel would have more of an insight.

Muppet

Stay where you are. Dublin - Longford is a shortish run with the good roads. I dont think there'd be much to see of a Sat night in Longford except the rows outside of the chippers!

Billys Boots

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 14, 2010, 12:18:57 PM
QuoteI can see Longford being up for this and Glenn Ryan will want to have something on his CV as he looks over to the Curragh for his next assignment.

Whats the opinion on Glenn up there SS?

I've heard that Glen has an appetite for work that isn't shared by his protegés. And that he doesn't suffer, ahem, fools gladly. Wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time. Wrong, to be brief.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 14, 2010, 09:57:12 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 14, 2010, 09:30:40 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on June 14, 2010, 09:05:24 AM
Another fáilte from me here for the wide-kickers - we'll show you how it's done.   ;D
Do you mean yer lot can kick/fist/head  more wides than ours? ;D
I didn't think any team would be in our league but fair play to youse if ye score more wides than we surely will.

Hey Lár, we score so little we even cheer our wides.  But we'll be up for a good slaggin' match.   ;)

I'll start.  Hey youse shower, youse think Billy Joe Padden can't kick snow off a rope - wait til youse see our lads.  And Big Niall is warming up (down in Luigis).

Had to laugh at that one, i know the chippers around Lucan are well down profit wise since he went back home!!! :D

Dinny Breen

Glenn certainly doesn't suffer fools and is a very stubborn man, he's a winner though and I'd say the Longford gig is killing him on the inside, pity it hasn't worked out.

Many see he him as the heir apparent alright, I'd like to see his next management gig be his own club first though..
#newbridgeornowhere

ross4life

So this Mayo game will be played the day before Sligo v Galway Semi final is on.. & this is really where the defeat to Sligo will sink in when they to travel Pearse Park on a Saturday night

We never had any problems beating longford so IMO will be a major surprise if Mayo slip up here

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 14, 2010, 02:46:23 PM
Dinny

I am not quite sure what the view of Glen is. Certainly his right hand man (physical fitness) has few friends but as for Ryan himself perhaps Laurel would have more of an insight.

My lips are sealed to protect the innocent.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

seafoid

Quote from: ross4life on June 14, 2010, 05:34:39 PM
So this Mayo game will be played the day before Sligo v Galway Semi final is on.. & this is really where the defeat to Sligo will sink in when they to travel Pearse Park on a Saturday night

We never had any problems beating longford so IMO will be a major surprise if Mayo slip up here

they'll be off again if they beat longford by more than a point. Another handy draw for the next round and there will be talk of Sam again. It's like the stock market . When the dollar loses value they're off into the emerging markets and talking risk appetite and nothing will stop them until something goes arseways and the next thing the dollar rises and its all hands on deck and close off all risk positions.  Just like Mayo this year. Very volatile.

Foreverhopeful

Trevor Howley can be our Paul Galvin. Midfielders don't catch as many clean balls anymore so you need someone in there who can win dirty ball and carry it at pace. Trev Howley is that man. Start him at 10. He does that role so well for Knockmore. Also Declan Sweeney would be an ideal no.6, as fit as i've ever seen him. He obviously won't be picked or brought into the panel because that is unheard of in Mayo.
Pat Harte looks way off the pace and Mcgarrity needs to cut the crankiness. He is like a bitch on the pitch!

moysider

Harte has a torn groin. This game clashes with the minor championship match v Roscommon afaik.

It appears to be a cant lose game for us as it seems, ( if this is possible) that Longford are in even more distress than we are and are only killing out time on the Ryan era.

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on June 14, 2010, 08:42:15 PM

This game clashes with the minor championship match v Roscommon afaik.

Yep it does but i guess the Connacht gaa will switch that game to Sunday if they have common sense  ???
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open