Football Qualifiers - Round 1

Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 11:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

móidín doire

Quote from: drici on June 11, 2010, 10:34:23 AM
Brick to miss first round of Qualifiers

Donegal forward Dermot Molloy will miss the opening game in the All-Ireland qualifier series after being hit with a retrospective four-week ban.
Molloy has been suspended after the CCCC asked Cavan referee Joe McQuillan to review video evidence of an incident involving Down's Damien Rafferty in the early stages of the Ulster SFC quarter-final last week, which Tony Davis discussed on The Sunday Game.

It's understood that McQuillan informed the CCCC that, had he seen the incident, he would have issued a straight red card. Molloy marked his debut with a 1-3 tally in the defeat to the Mourne men, but is now set to miss out on the first round of the qualifiers that are penned in for the weekend of June 26.

The draw for the Qualifiers will take place on RTE2 on Sunday next at 6 p.m. Donegal will have some big names along with them in the hat after last weekend's shock defeats for Mayo, Armagh and Kildare. Also in the hat will be the likes of Derry and Boxer Brady's Antrim and either Fermanagh or Cavan from Ulster, with teams such as Carlow, Tipperary, Clare, Longford also included.

I assume that should be "Baker Bradley's Antrim", unless they are accusing Kevin or young Colin of being a boxer?

saffron sam2

Quote from: móidín doire on June 11, 2010, 10:48:16 AM

Donegal forward Dermot Molloy will miss the opening game in the All-Ireland qualifier series after being hit with a retrospective four-week ban.
Molloy has been suspended after the CCCC asked Cavan referee Joe McQuillan to review video evidence of an incident involving Down's Damien Rafferty in the early stages of the Ulster SFC quarter-final last week, which Tony Davis discussed on The Sunday Game.

It's understood that McQuillan informed the CCCC that, had he seen the incident, he would have issued a straight red card. Molloy marked his debut with a 1-3 tally in the defeat to the Mourne men, but is now set to miss out on the first round of the qualifiers that are penned in for the weekend of June 26.

The draw for the Qualifiers will take place on RTE2 on Sunday next at 6 p.m. Donegal will have some big names along with them in the hat after last weekend's shock defeats for Mayo, Armagh and Kildare. Also in the hat will be the likes of Derry and Boxer Brady's Antrim and either Fermanagh or Cavan from Ulster, with teams such as Carlow, Tipperary, Clare, Longford also included.

I assume that should be "Baker Bradley's Antrim", unless they are accusing Kevin or young Colin of being a boxer?

Nope, definitely Kevin "Boxer" Bradley.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

western exile

Quote from: RMDrive on June 11, 2010, 09:36:50 AM
In order of preference ...

London
Carlow
Clare
Longford
Offaly
Laois
Wicklow
Tipperary
Fermanagh
Wexford
Antrim
Derry
Kildare
Mayo
Armagh
That is about right. But I would put Tipperary a bit higher, between Wexford and Antrim.
But (for other teams) where to put Donegal in that list ?  Between Kildare and Derry maybe

Bogball XV

Quote from: saffron sam2 on June 11, 2010, 11:15:25 AM

is there a story there SS?

Hardy

Quote from: western exile on June 10, 2010, 01:55:47 PM
From todays newspaper.....

Counties that were handed away fixtures in the first round of last year's All-Ireland football Qualifiers can look forward to a home game this year, unless they are drawn against another county who also had to travel in 2009.

This would be funny, if you didn't remember that while we can tie ourselves in knots with shite like this, we can't even organise the fixture timing for the Ulster Hurling Championship without asking one team to play in two separate competitions on successive days,.

western exile

Quote from: Hardy on June 11, 2010, 11:40:34 AM

Counties that were handed away fixtures in the first round of last year's All-Ireland football Qualifiers can look forward to a home game this year, unless they are drawn against another county who also had to travel in 2009.

This would be funny, if you didn't remember that while we can tie ourselves in knots with shite like this, we can't even organise the fixture timing for the Ulster Hurling Championship without asking one team to play in two separate competitions on successive days,.
I agree.  But even if we understand that the national hurling competition schedulers in Croke Park do not talk to the Ulster Council (inexcusable) ,  what is strange to me is why the London County Board did not notice this scheduling faux pas until last week?

Bogball XV

Quote from: Hardy on June 11, 2010, 11:40:34 AM

and that leaves derry where exactly?  We didn't enter the qualifiers until round 2 and played both rounds 2 and 3 away from home.

illdecide

I hope Armagh get either Mayo, Kildare or Antrim so that we will know for sure where we're at. If we lose then we're out and no more money wasted the rest of the year (and we'll know we are crop), if we win we'll know that the Monaghan result was not a true reflection of where we're really at :-\
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

saffron sam2

Quote from: Bogball XV on June 11, 2010, 11:38:00 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on June 11, 2010, 11:15:25 AM

is there a story there SS?

Not really. I only found out his real name in this match report and have been using it ever since.

Quote from: drici on April 30, 2010, 11:58:19 AM
Sligo shine on Croker stage!

Sligo 0-19 Antrim 1-11

YES, they were that good.

While Sligo, en route to promotion from Division Three and now this section's champions, have thrilled or chilled their loyal fans by making life hard for themselves – can they do it any other way? – Saturday's slick five-points defeat of Antrim, 0-19 to 1-11, revealed a reborn attitude although one wonders how Antrim got promoted at all.

This was a Sligo team, guided assuredly by Kevin Walsh, taking charge of its own destiny – at no less a venue than plush Croke Park – and happy to do so.

New Sligo, basking in their new found identity, knew they were promoted irrespective of the outcome of this Allianz GAA Football National League fixture, their last in Division Three as they take on the steeper trails of Division Two in 2011.

Playing with purpose, Sligo's defensive interceptions and their flowing offensive moves delighted the followers who made the trip and those who opted to watch the action unfold 'live' on TG4.

Inspired defensively by irrepressible team captain Charlie Harrison, at midfield by Stephen Gilmartin, a Sligo U-21 last year but a mature revelation in a major fixture such as this, and in attack by Alan Costello, David Kelly and Colm McGee, the latter supplying five of Sligo's 19 points, Sligo went about their task as if winning meant everything. It did.

Division Four champions in 2009, Division Three champions in 2010, this result mattered alright. Not just in the context of completing this year's National League with a flourish, but in terms of showing where they are at with the Connacht Senior Championship, and specifically that quarter-final against Division One runners-up Mayo, coming up at Markievicz Park in June.

An often sublime display was summed up well by the various statistics. This was Sligo's fifth successive win, their second game to almost reach the 20-points mark and a rich return from an in-form attack – five of the six starting forwards scored and there were seven scorers in all.

Sligo had heroes aplenty. Those players mentioned above – Gilmartin, with three points, and Costello, who made dozens of clever passes, the standout performers – as Ross Donovan, Mark Quinn, Mark Breheny, Johnny Davey, Keelan Cawley and Tony Taylor each prospered marvellously.

Noel McGuire, composed again, and substitute Stephen Coen, who fizzed over three second-half points, also excelled.

Eamon O'Hara, Sligo's other second-half replacement, was also comfortable in a setting that he made his own back in 2001 and 2002 when Sligo spectacularly punched above its weight.

Antrim weren't just overwhelmed, they weren't even at the races. Corner-forward Paddy Cunningham apart – he scored six points, four in the first-half – Kevin 'Boxer' Bradley's side lacked direction and leadership although the loss of midfielder Brendan Herron via an early first-half injury was a mitigating factor.

Although they were ahead briefly in the first-half and three times level with their more adroit opponents, Antrim were, overall, the most feeble of finalists.

Indeed, the losers' one notable moment, Michael McCann's goal which suddenly suggested a much closer than anticipated finish with 12 minutes of normal time left, was mercilessly crushed by Sligo's tremendous response – three rapid-fire points from Stephen Coen (2) and Mark Breheny that turned a two-points lead into a five-points cushion.

To borrow boxing parlance, Sligo's ability to absorb punches and counter with devastating shots of their own was the ultimate difference. Four points up at half-time, 0-9 to 0-5, and only behind once, 0-3 to 0-2, when Cunningham hit a 17th minute free, Sligo immediately settled when Mark Breheny pointed after 64 seconds.

The move developed from perceptive passing – Francis Quinn and Kenneth Sweeney involved – and such movement, awareness of space and clever use of possession evolved into something that Antrim couldn't match.

Midfielder Stephen Gilmartin's ability to find the range with points – two in the first-half and one in the second period – Alan Costello's feverish distribution and direct running plus David Kelly's industry (he was the catalyst for numerous scores) were consistently notable features Meanwhile, Colm McGee and Mark Breheny each fired over Sligo's most eye-catching points, McGee taking scores with both feet, and Breheny contributed his finest point, his fourth and Sligo's 16th, in the phase when Antrim's goal was erased.

Sligo fans are smiling again, their faith fully restored. Why not? After last weekend's glorious show, anything is possible.

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

mountainboii

Quote from: illdecide on June 11, 2010, 11:52:49 AM
I hope Armagh get either Mayo, Kildare or Antrim so that we will know for sure where we're at. If we lose then we're out and no more money wasted the rest of the year (and we'll know we are crop), if we win we'll know that the Monaghan result was not a true reflection of where we're really at :-\

That would be far from ideal. Even if they are crap, it's vital they get a win or two in the qualifiers to lift some of the gloom. Another first round loss will leave a very dark cloud hanging over the management for the next six months, and will leave them under serious pressure next year. Last thing we need is another management team living on borrowed time, as McDonnell seemed to be in his second year.

Shortso79

GAA Qualifier Draw

Sunday 13 June - 18:12

The draw for the first round of the GAA football qualifiers live from Croke Park.

The draw will be covered live as part of the Sports News during the Six One News

The Draw is also live on the RTE Website.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: RMDrive on June 11, 2010, 09:36:50 AM
In order of preference ...

London
Carlow
Clare
Longford
Offaly
Laois
Wicklow
Tipperary
Fermanagh
Wexford
Antrim
Derry
Kildare
Mayo
Armagh

they arent in the draw
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Cosmo Kramer

Ya he took a a stab at that one ahead of the game last night. Wexford or Laois might not be in it either but he's picking the losers on form. I'd stick Cavan in about where he had put Fermanagh.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

andoireabu

Can Derry meet Armagh in the first round of the qualifiers having already met them in the c'ship.  I thought there was a rule that stopped this happening or does that not include the preliminary round?
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

orangeman

Quote from: andoireabu on June 13, 2010, 02:39:18 PM
Can Derry meet Armagh in the first round of the qualifiers having already met them in the c'ship.  I thought there was a rule that stopped this happening or does that not include the preliminary round?

Correct.

They can't meet.