Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 11:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on June 07, 2010, 01:44:59 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 07, 2010, 01:39:44 PM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production
/quote]

As an Antrim man I'd like to AVOID

Derry, Donegal, Armagh, Mayo, Kildare, (Dubs, Meath), but fancy we could give it a lash against the rest.

Surely Antrim could take at least Mayo and Kildare the way things are going. Some of the thoroughbreds are going to be very demoralised going into the qualifiers.

I suppose the "wounded animal" and all that.  I was at the Div 3 final and could see that Sligo performance coming...maybe Mayo just didn't and will be out to prove they're a better team than that the next day??

Yes but we were supposed to the "Wounded animal" after the capitualtion to Cork in the league final. Lots of apathy here in Mayo towards the team. We have never done well in the qualifiers, i dont think we'll do well this year either.

Sandy Hill

Anyone fancy drawing Cork or Kerry; instant exit!
"Stercus accidit"

omagh_gael

Quote from: Sandy Hill on June 07, 2010, 05:26:30 PM

Due to the 'level field' of the championship our Munster friends have the luxury of not entering the qualifiers until round two as their 1st game was a semi final. Where as Armagh, having played two good teams in Derry and Monaghan are still lumped into round 1. Fair? I think not.

Hound

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 07, 2010, 05:34:57 PM

Due to the 'level field' of the championship our Munster friends have the luxury of not entering the qualifiers until round two as their 1st game was a semi final. Where as Armagh, having played two good teams in Derry and Monaghan are still lumped into round 1. Fair? I think not.
But going into round 2 I'd prefer to be a team that has regrouped with a win rather than a team that has just come off losing a provincial semi.

Derry are hardly "good" btw!

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 07, 2010, 05:34:57 PM

To be fair Kerry played Tipperary. That's just the reality fo the provincial system. While we reaming wedded to it we'll continue to have these sorts of inconsistencies. There'll be at most 3 teams in all in the 1st round of the qualifiers who have won a match in the provincial championship. Armagh, Wicklow and Meath (if they lose to Laois).
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

omagh_gael

Ah forgot bought the tipp game, had to use a lot of will power not to put a smiley icon after the derry being good bit hound but didnt want to annoy the inbred's!

Zapatista

I'd like to see Antrim have another go at Kerry actually. Just to put the shitters up them for a while. It would probably amount to nothing though.

In saying that perhaps Sligo were a better team than they got credit for.

western exile

From todays newspaper.....

Counties that were handed away fixtures in the first round of last year's All-Ireland football Qualifiers can look forward to a home game this year, unless they are drawn against another county who also had to travel in 2009.
In that case, a toss will decide who enjoys home advantage. The system is designed to ensure that counties don't have to rely on luck to give them a home game. The draw for the first-round Qualifiers, scheduled for Saturday, June 26. will be held on Sunday evening.

The counties who played away in the first round last year were: Tipperary, Waterford, Armagh, Fermanagh, Offaly, Carlow, Longford and London.

Waterford, who reached the Munster semi-final, won't be in the first-round draw this year, while Fermanagh will avoid it if they beat Cavan in the Ulster quarter-final on.

Down, Louth, Meath, Monaghan, Wicklow, Wexford, Donegal and Leitrim all had home games last year.

Teams in Sunday's qualifiers draw: Carlow, Offaly, Longford, Kildare, Wicklow, Derry, Antrim, Donegal, Armagh, Tipperary, Clare, London, Mayo. They will be joined by the losers from Cavan v Fermanagh, Laois v Meath, Dublin v Wexford.

drici

Tipperary, Armagh, (Fermanagh), Offaly, Carlow, Longford and London.

armaghniac

If a county cannot host a game for capacity reasons, can they nominate a venue or is a neutral venue chosen?
Armagh would have problems (probably for the last time, as with the fall off in attendance and the redevelopment of the Athletic Grounds we would be OK for next year).

We could probably have a game with Carlow, Offaly, Longford, Wicklow, Tipperary, Clare or London in Cross'.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mackers

Quote from: armaghniac on June 10, 2010, 02:58:19 PM
If a county cannot host a game for capacity reasons, can they nominate a venue or is a neutral venue chosen?
Armagh would have problems (probably for the last time, as with the fall off in attendance and the redevelopment of the Athletic Grounds we would be OK for next year).

We could probably have a game with Carlow, Offaly, Longford, Wicklow, Tipperary, Clare or London in Cross'.
I would've thought you're right but the minors had to play their "home" game in Newry against Monaghan, somebody told me that Cross didn't come up to the criteria set down for Championship football?? Sounds strange. If that's the case then Armagh couldn't play at a home venue at all. Anybody know the story with this?
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Farrandeelin

It would be a long journey to Wexford if we're drawn against them!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 06, 2010, 12:31:45 PM
Whoever gets Mayo will be happy I would imagine. Not too many Mayo people I've spoken to have said that they'd wish to go on a long run. I dunno, maybe get Kildare or loser of Armagh/Monaghan today could save us a lot of hassle and expense... :-\

Who wants to avoid anything? Surely, the chance of getting an  opportunity to hop a few effs off John O'Mahony anytime, anywhere is reason enough to tag along?  ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

RMDrive

In order of preference ...

London
Carlow
Clare
Longford
Offaly
Laois
Wicklow
Tipperary
Fermanagh
Wexford
Antrim
Derry
Kildare
Mayo
Armagh

drici

Brick to miss first round of Qualifiers

Donegal forward Dermot Molloy will miss the opening game in the All-Ireland qualifier series after being hit with a retrospective four-week ban.
Molloy has been suspended after the CCCC asked Cavan referee Joe McQuillan to review video evidence of an incident involving Down's Damien Rafferty in the early stages of the Ulster SFC quarter-final last week, which Tony Davis discussed on The Sunday Game.

It's understood that McQuillan informed the CCCC that, had he seen the incident, he would have issued a straight red card. Molloy marked his debut with a 1-3 tally in the defeat to the Mourne men, but is now set to miss out on the first round of the qualifiers that are penned in for the weekend of June 26.

The draw for the Qualifiers will take place on RTE2 on Sunday next at 6 p.m. Donegal will have some big names along with them in the hat after last weekend's shock defeats for Mayo, Armagh and Kildare. Also in the hat will be the likes of Derry and Boxer Brady's Antrim and either Fermanagh or Cavan from Ulster, with teams such as Carlow, Tipperary, Clare, Longford also included.