Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

blast05

Very little talk on appointment of Liam Horan as head of strategic review body.
ave to say i was pleasantly suprised for 2 reasons .... i respect his football knowledge and i don't think he would have taken on the roll unless he felt the resultant report/recommendations (or whatever is produced) would have a very strong change of being implemented.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: blast05 on September 17, 2010, 10:43:53 PM
Very little talk on appointment of Liam Horan as head of strategic review body.
ave to say i was pleasantly suprised for 2 reasons .... i respect his football knowledge and i don't think he would have taken on the roll unless he felt the resultant report/recommendations (or whatever is produced) would have a very strong change of being implemented.

He's different to me so. I would have done it for the money.

Liam always struck me as a sound man but a leprechaun has a better chance of playing midfield in an All-Ireland Final than the people of Mayo who pay money, burn petrol and stand in the rain to follow the team have of getting anything other than old blather out of this report. Sorry if that sounds harsh on Liam but that's my opinion.

rosnarun

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

IolarCoisCuain

Because I'm tired of getting my hopes up to get my heart broken Ros. Sick, sore and tired of it. I end up like a dog that's been kicked to much, and I spend half my life just a-covering up. I was - Born in the County Mayo, Born in the County Mayo, yeah....

Sure me head is melted with them.

stephenite

Whilst not doubting the abilties or intentions of Liam Horan (who I would have great time for) I feel that anything he recommends is going to cost money, and that I believe is something that is in pretty short supply at the moment. So, it may well just be window dressing as they can accept all recommendations and plead the poor mouth when it comes to the actual implementation.

I think Club Mayo have a huge part to play here, a massive opportunity in fact. Let Horan come back with whatever he comes back and throw the pot at that to ensure implementation - it would be money that is far better spent than bankrolling a new manager.There is the issue of giving the county board a blank cheque, which is not something I'd like to see but maybe some sort of oversight could be put in place.....

Barney

Is there a chance we'll get a final decision this week.

I presume a name wiol be put to the next County Board meetings.

Peter Solan the Great

The Carr/Maughan double act is gathering pace. The two were on with Micheal O Muircheartaigh after the All Ireland final on Sunday. Jokingly it was said that Michael would be going for the Mayo Job, but got a bit serious with Carr saying Maughan was the man and Maughan saying the word on the street is Carr would be getting it, before finishing off saying they should both do it. It was said in a bit of a mocking fashion but could not be ruled out none the less.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 20, 2010, 05:44:58 PM
The Carr/Maughan double act is gathering pace. The two were on with Micheal O Muircheartaigh after the All Ireland final on Sunday. Jokingly it was said that Michael would be going for the Mayo Job, but got a bit serious with Carr saying Maughan was the man and Maughan saying the word on the street is Carr would be getting it, before finishing off saying they should both do it. It was said in a bit of a mocking fashion but could not be ruled out none the less.

If, as rumour has it, Maughan didn't fancy fellas with too many opinions in the squad, how much will he fancy one in his own back-room team?

mannix

carr is supposedly a good friend of JM. either way a panel of players would need to be drawn up soon by the new manager and training to start individually on presumed weaknesses in those players.Next year will be open for anyone able,kerry and tyrone are not what they were and cork might not be as bothered after all the huffing and puffing to get their hands on Sam.
Dublin and the like will be pushing hard again next year, lets hope Mayo do the same.

rosnarun

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 19, 2010, 01:14:55 AM
Because I'm tired of getting my hopes up to get my heart broken Ros. Sick, sore and tired of it. I end up like a dog that's been kicked to much, and I spend half my life just a-covering up. I was - Born in the County Mayo, Born in the County Mayo, yeah....

were all inthe same boat .
all great idea start with blather , at least this is a fresh voice . and from what we know a very knowledgeable intelligent one with no ties  or scores to settle an das much as any of us hes definitely Got Mayo football close to heart .
if hes allowed to do his job i can it as nothing but a positive.
if he fails f**k hime them we call call him a waste of space but untill then we should give him all the leeway we can . and I mean we as fans as the mayo fan base has turned very nasty in the last year or so and he need to be able to do his work in in other than a hot house atmosphere with have the country sharpening their knifes from day one..
Same goes for the new manager
Unless its tommy lyons
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Quote from: mannix on September 20, 2010, 07:28:58 PM
carr is supposedly a good friend of JM. either way a panel of players would need to be drawn up soon by the new manager and training to start individually on presumed weaknesses in those players.Next year will be open for anyone able,kerry and tyrone are not what they were and cork might not be as bothered after all the huffing and puffing to get their hands on Sam.
Dublin and the like will be pushing hard again next year, lets hope Mayo do the same.

The whole succession [ at this stage it actually looks like a restoration] has become a bit of a joke. Maybe I m out of touch with events but it looked like only  Horan, McGarry and Kearney we re the only ones that went down the application road that the CB executive first propose? Letters and written submissions and that kind of stuff. What are the odds that the lad that gets the job will have put nothing down on paper? And what message does that give to those that were interested and did what they were told. It also appears that there was a bit of crack about The Mayo job between Tom Carr and JM and the commentator after the AI  on Radio 1.
Well f**k that for smugness. Now I m gettin pissed off. Looks to me like the criteria for being the next Mayo Senior manager is a very loose recipe. It also looks like you can express no interest in the role and still get it. I mean what were they thinking coming up with criteria in the first place and then throwing the thing open like a carnival boxer's  ' take all comers'. This is a mess. The whole process is now in disrepute and needs to be abandoned. This executive has less credibility than the current Taoiseach and any manager they appoint is a lame duck. Nobody will go to games. It s obvious at this stage that it is not just about a new manager. The Ex are insisting of holding on and destroying another generation. I mean I cant believe they could think they would make up  and change the rules as they liked. If they wanted JM or Micko,  then f**k off and appoint them, they can do that - not make pricks out of others. Everybody knew who they wanted anyway. No need to bother with the smoke. The review is another bottle of smoke. 

Sorry Mannix, just highlighted that bit. We were supposed to be doin that for the last long while. Yesterday Down lost an AI, on a player weakness that was obvious all summer. He d be no stranger to the gym but can t play at that level. Down management are kicking themselves over it tonight I bet. We ve had reason to do it in the past. I m convinced the most important attributes of the next manager is selection, tactical awareness and coaching, with selection being the most important and the other 2 very important. Because if you select the wrong players coaching and tactics are like tits on a bull.   

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: rosnarun on September 21, 2010, 12:04:40 AM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 19, 2010, 01:14:55 AM

were all inthe same boat .
all great idea start with blather , at least this is a fresh voice . and from what we know a very knowledgeable intelligent one with no ties  or scores to settle an das much as any of us hes definitely Got Mayo football close to heart .
if hes allowed to do his job i can it as nothing but a positive.
if he fails f**k hime them we call call him a waste of space but untill then we should give him all the leeway we can . and I mean we as fans as the mayo fan base has turned very nasty in the last year or so and he need to be able to do his work in in other than a hot house atmosphere with have the country sharpening their knifes from day one..
Same goes for the new manager
Unless its tommy lyons

I don't doubt Liam for a second Ros. It's him being allowed to do his job that I struggle with.

I'll tell you what it reminds me of. When I was in school, which is a good while ago now, the fourth year class (no Transition Year then) would put together sort of a College yearbook - a magazine type effort, with contributions from different years.

One year - and maybe they only did it the one year, because we're going back a while now - they sent a young lad down the road to interview the Bishop. The Bishop was no stranger to the place - I seem to remember we'd have Mass every couple of weeks with him, where his sermons were agin drinking and smoking and pro talking Gaeilge, especially when we were in New York and London.

Anyway, this young lad, with dreams of being Lou Grant, goes off down the road to His Worship for the interview. And then the thing came back from the printers and the first line in the interview with the Bishop was "I'd like to thank [whatever the gasúr's name was] for the opportunity to address you all."

That was one of the events that made me the bitter and suspicious man I am today. Equally, when Liam Horan's report is published, if it is published, I will not be surprised if it begins "We, the Board, would like to thank Liam Horan for the opportunity to address you all."

Maybe Liam can put smacht on them. But if he does, he'll be the first.

Agree with you on Lyons. Jesus.

Barney

Sadly the whole process has been a shambles and I think we are all sick of it at this stage and are likely to be underwhelmed by whatever decision is ultimately made. However I do think as supporters we have to get behind the new man and the team - give them a chance to make their mark, whatever our own reservations.

What is clear though is the anger amongst Mayo supporters, but like with problems in the country nobody is standing up and trying to do anything about it just giving out.

I think we all know that many candidates are not prepared to work with the current Board for one reason or another but look at the various people that have been mentioned for the job - they have all been widely criticised here. I would see the criticisms made by posters here something along the following lines:

Peter Forde - allegedly made derogatory remarks about Mayo when in Galway. Failed there. Only following Galway's bad road.

Noel Connelly - no substance. Just bluff and bluster in the dressing room.

John Maughan - been there and failed. County Board man and will not learn from his mistakes.

James Horan - untested, cannot take the risk. Does he have it anyhow?

Tommy Lyons - bullsh**er

Denis Kearney - yes he has done well with clubs but not good enough for us.

Anthony McGarry - nah, done nothing. Strike him off the list.

Micko - an old mercenary.

Tommy Carr - failed everywhere he went.

I would have my concerns about some of the candidates but where nobody can come out and clearly say - this is the man/team to lead us forward - the Board are in the same position - nobody is going to be quite good enough so we just have to live with what is decided and see what happens from there.

Can anybody give a stirring defence for any of the candidates and say - Yes, he is the man we need - with an arguement that his backed by many. I don't think so and for those reasons at the end of the day Maughan is probably the man that will get it because he has been the most successful person in the role at the end of the day. We just have to hope that he is as motiviated as before. Even with reservations about him we will be in a better place that under the last management but whether we will achieve our potential (a regular Quarter Final team with occasional semi-final chances) has to be seen.

muppet

Barney I know you didn't construct your post as a character assassination of the listed men but it could be read that way by some. Can I suggest you highlight that you are pointing out the (lazy in some cases) criticisms leveled by others and that your post is not endorsing them or claiming that they are facts?
MWWSI 2017

Barney

Thanks Muppet, that is definitely what I am trying to do. Agree that many of the observations are lazy, probably from myself as well, but really I am trying to summarise is that it seems that whoever gets the job is going to be subject to sniping from the off