Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

stephenite

I'd imagine people would wonder what the point is in questioning Maughan on those decisions. All he'll say is that he thought he wasn't good enough, it was his call and he made it.

It's hard to answer that.

mannix

nail on the head there Stephenite. The same was done with C MAC by jom, it was ridiculous but who would question jom at the time?
the fan in the street would not be listened too, how many of the 6 starting forwards were better than him?

rosnarun

Quotead nauseum
are you correcting my Latin spelling? ::), you were obviously a few years ahead of me in Muredachs.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Lar Naparka

Quote from: stephenite on September 16, 2010, 12:58:29 AM
I'd imagine people would wonder what the point is in questioning Maughan on those decisions. All he'll say is that he thought he wasn't good enough, it was his call and he made it.

It's hard to answer that.

Fair enough, I've no doubt that there was no ulterior motive involved and that JM honestly felt that Tom Reilly was a greater asset to the side than Kevin at the time. However, I would suggest that the rest of the civilised world thought otherwise. Chuckie was in flying form for his club at the time and Tom Reilly was never more than a bit player.
I feel that few would deny that Maughan  made a series of poor judgement calls throughout his IC managerial career and there is no substantial reason to believe that this particular leopard will ever change his spots.
As you say, past events should be left where they properly belong but at the same time they could be an indicator for the future and that's what worries me.
I fully accept that he is an honest, dedicated individual and never gives less than 100% to any job he takes on but the problem for me is that he has taken on more IC managerial stints than anyone else I can think of.
He's worn the bib a total of five times and I am concerned that he has had issues with a number of high profile players in them all.  Jack O'Connor had a serious row with a number of the Kerry squad in the lead up to the '06 final but, in contrast to Maughan, he kept matters strictly in-house until the final was well and truly over. I wonder how JM would have handled the likes of Gooch and Dara O Se?
Besides all of that, I am a bit annoyed that Maughan first publicly announced that he had no interest in the job and now appears to be waiting in the wings to step in and take over.
Has there been a done deal all along and is our beloved and much respected county board up to its old tricks again?
Hmmmm..... I really think we have had enough cute hoorism from that quarter to suffice for some time to come.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

HowAreYeGettinOn

57 pages! Mother of God! What'll it go to when a manager is picked?  :D

Anyway, it's looking like Maughan III alright. To be honest maybe that's not a bad thing. His pride in Mayo is not in question and his desire to win the All-Ireland was never better documented than in his interview in 'House of Pain', where he said straight-out that the failure in 1996 still haunts him.

There weren't too many complaints about his second stint until the 2004 final - not just the awful capitulation of the team on the day but Maughan's pig-headedness over not selecting Brady from the start. Brady wouldn't have won Mayo that game but he might have helped make the defeat far less damaging. Mayo haven't been seen as a serious team since. Kerry burned Mayo off in the third quarter of the 2005 quarter-final, despite Mayo chipping it back to three points at the end. That at least represented a more dignified exit for JM than the 2004 final would have been.

Despite the shorts, the tan, the confidence-bordering-on-arrogance, the lack of tactical nous etc., nobody wants an AI for Mayo more than John Maughan, and nobody has got us closer. He'll run the sh1t out of them for the winter, beef them up (please God) and hopefully, to steal a phrase, put the balls back into Mayo football. That would represent significant progress, and Lord knows it's badly needed.

Tubberman

If it does end up being JM III, I hope he's taking it for the right reasons.
People will remember there was bad blood between himself and JOM, and many had JOM held in much higher esteem than Maughan.
JOMs stock has gone through the floor, and I hope Maughan isn't just going for this job to show everyone how much better he is than O'Mahony.

He needs to be going for it because he feels he genuinely can bring Mayo back to being one of the top 5 sides in the country; and that he's studied how the new breed of manager works alongside their backroom team, and that he feels he can at least match, if not improve, on that.
I'd have confidence he'll raise the performance levels significantly, but will he bring anything new that he hasn't brought before.

You know the quote "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it". I think that applies to everyone involved in this - CB, manager (whoever it may be), backroom team and players.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on September 16, 2010, 03:05:49 AM
Quotead nauseum
are you correcting my Latin spelling? ::), you were obviously a few years ahead of me in Muredachs.

Not correcting you Ros. Unfortunately I m no Latin scholar. Just repeated your phrase and used italics. Anyway do you have any reason to  think the manager will be other than Maughan?

spectator

Quote from: moysider on September 15, 2010, 10:04:42 PM
The Board will have to do without the Mayo Supporter's money if JM gets the nod.

Surely Club Mayo won't stop raising funds just because their apparent proposal of Micko was rejected, Moysider?

Quote from: Tubberman on September 16, 2010, 01:44:39 PM
I hope Maughan isn't just going for this job to show everyone how much better he is than O'Mahony.

I think Maughan has unfinished business with Mayo and probably, in his own eyes anyway, has a [footballing] reputation to rescue following his previous stints.

moysider

Quote from: spectator on September 16, 2010, 11:57:44 PM

Quote from: moysider on September 15, 2010, 10:04:42 PM
The Board will have to do without the Mayo Supporter's money if JM gets the nod.

Surely Club Mayo won't stop raising funds just because their apparent proposal of Micko was rejected, Moysider?

Quote from: Tubberman on September 16, 2010, 01:44:39 PM
I hope Maughan isn't just going for this job to show everyone how much better he is than O'Mahony.

I think Maughan has unfinished business with Mayo and probably, in his own eyes anyway, has a [footballing] reputation to rescue following his previous stints.

I dunno Spectator. I have no connection with that association. But these events have been a slap in the face for these guys. Somebody that should know reckons that there are a few main individuals that have 'more money than sense'. Fund raising would be possibly only topping up. The board is broke and will have to ' squeeze the club lemons until the pips squeak' this year and will still struggle. The board now has a stick to beat the clubs with as well. The club delegates wanted a native manager. The cash shy clubs will now be told that they got what they wanted. When you think about it Micko may well have been the cheaper option for the county - and maybe the best as well.
   In my experience few people have more money than sense. Anybody about with money to spend now on Mayo football was not a fool to have gathered that money in the first place.  Pay the piper and you can call the tune. If these guys don t like the way things are going there is every possibility they will not open the purse strings. Lets call a spade a spade here. Who can blame them? I mean who is going to bankroll or fund raise for something they don t believe in and where their tuppence is not listened to. There are only so many village idiots to go around. They informed the county board they wanted Micko and had Euros to back it up. Half the executive jumped. The other half were cool and then public opinion ( those that were listened to) sent the whole executive on a different scent. The Masters Of Moneybags then proposed Lyons as someone acceptable to spend their money on. I doubt that will go down either.
They don t have to give the mayo county board a cent. Why should they? Ok, like the rest of us they re not getting any younger but they may still decide to keep their euros and their powder dry and wait for mare favorable conditions. If I were the Board I would not be going cap in hand to those people any time soon.

spectator

Quote from: moysider on September 17, 2010, 12:29:59 AM
If I were the Board I would not be going cap in hand to those people.

I wouldn't either Moysider, tbh.

Not easy for the board to swing it, much as they might have wanted to, when public opinion within the county came out against it.

Have Castlebar Mitchells benefitted much so far from the handover of McHale Park for re-developing, given the way the financial scenario is unfolding?

westmayo

QuoteIt's good to talk

It is known at this stage that I had a chat with members of the County Board executive last Sunday evening at McHale Park regarding the Mayo manager's post. A couple of lads chatting at An Sportlann, had a few shouts of encouragement for me as I made my way in. Now that I am writing this, I am beginning to wonder was it shouts of encouragement, or were they shouting at me to go home! I have received a few calls this week enquiring if I was worth a few quid at the bookies. My advice to those who asked was to keep their money in their pockets!

/quote]

Is John Maughan telling the truth or playing games again, from his column in this weeks Mayo Advertiser

Hardy

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Hardy on September 17, 2010, 04:51:13 PM
Come on lads - only three posts today.

tis slack enough all right Hardy,funnily enough i think you have more posts on this topic than the meath managers one  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Hardy

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 17, 2010, 05:15:07 PM
Quote from: Hardy on September 17, 2010, 04:51:13 PM
Come on lads - only three posts today.

tis slack enough all right Hardy,funnily enough i think you have more posts on this topic than the meath managers one  ;)
Ha ha - well spotted. We're no good at the oral football over our way.

spuds

Quote from: Hardy on September 17, 2010, 05:46:37 PM
Ha ha - well spotted. We're no good at the oral football over our way.
Oval ball game maybe ?
Might suit the likes of big Joe Sheridan  :-\
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard