James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on September 09, 2010, 01:09:43 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 09, 2010, 12:33:23 AM
All very well put, Iolar. Maithiú!

Hmmm. An alliance between Iolar and lar is a very challenging development.
Now, now, moysider, all I said was that my eminent friend puts his points very well; never said I agreed with him though! ;D
However, I do happen to agree with what Iolar has said; any divergences would be mere matters of emphasis.
Peter Ford and his mates left some unanswered questions behind them in the wake of the mutiny but it's now around 18 years on from that episode and I'd be inclined to judge him on his present credentials rather than on the part he played in bringing Brian McDonald down.
But the entire squad of players seemed to be united back then and Ford played a leader's part in pressing their demands. IMO, there had to be more substantial reasons for their unhappiness with McDonald than the ones they put forward at the time.
As you have said, it would be to their eternal discredit if being asked to push a few cars around a car park when the training pitch was waterlogged was a major reason for their angst.
I remember talking to a friend back then who was a former international rugby player and had played under a number of managers including Mick Doyle. I was filling him on developments as the row escalated and when I mentioned the car pushing episode, he damn near exploded!
He exclaimed, "What else could the f**king manager do when they all showed up and found they had nowhere to train?"
He went on to say that the most enjoyable and constructive training session he had attended was the first one held by Mick Doyle. It took place in Madigan's pub in Donnybrook!
The Donnybrook pitch was waterlogged also when they turned up to train and Doyler promptly led the way to Madigan's where they all had a good booze up and got to know each other in a way that couldn't have hapened on a training pitch. It was an extremely effective bonding session and it stood them in good stead for the years to come.
As for Brian using a horn to wake his players up, my buddy couldn't understand what the fuss was about. There was never a manager worth his salt, sez he, that didn't bawl a load of personal insults at his players whenever he wanted to wake them up; so what was the problem with using a horn?  If the effin' players were any use, they wouldn't have gone off the boil in the first place!
I can only concur with my pal's reasoned and reasonable sentiments.
But Ford always struck me as a man who doesn't seek confrontation and, IMO, there must have been more serious reasons for the bust up than we have heard of-to date at any rate.
It's best now to try to forget whatever caused the mutiny 18 years ago and look to the future. That's the main reason why I'd look beyond Ford or Maughan. There's always the possibility that their strained relationships with the CB in the past might get in the way.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Peter Solan the Great

Rumours are abound that there will be a double team of John Maughan and Tommy Carr. A Little known fact is that Tommy Carr is a native Mayo man. he was born there before moving to Dublin as a child. They were also best man at each others wedding.

muppet

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 09, 2010, 12:10:55 PM
Rumours are abound that there will be a double team of John Maughan and Tommy Carr. A Little known fact is that Tommy Carr is a native Mayo man. he was born there before moving to Dublin as a child. They were also best man at each others wedding.

Tommy and his clan seem to be associated with a number of counties. I can see why they are called Carr.

Realistically the CB have two paths:

a) Tried and tested which leaves either

John Maughan or Peter Forde (they wont and shouldn't run with Tommy Lyons or Micko over those two)

b) Something fresh leaving a list of at least:

James Horan, Colm Mc, Denis Kearney, Anthony McGarry, Ray Dempsey among others

I would go for something fresh myself this time, probably in the order I've listed them and maybe taking James and Colm as a duo if they agreed to work together. However it would be reasonable and understandable for the CB to go for the tried and tested which realistically leaves JM or PF. I would give the latter personally especially if he can deliver a county championship with the underachieving Mitchels.
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Lar correctly points out why we're in this situation (with his lasat sentence), with nearly everyone with their name in, it's the County Board. If you have any gripe at all with the County Board, you won't be selected it seems. It doesn't matter if you had the gripe 18 years ago or 18 months ago, big/small but it is a pity that's the way Mayo football is run. That could be the reason why Tommys are in the running as they've had no previous experience with the co board.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

passedit

Quote from: Tubberman on September 09, 2010, 09:04:08 AM

"We will be sending out a questionnaire this week for the candidates to fill in and an interview process will be set up from there. Yes, we have been inundated with expressions of interest from some respected names."

How does that work? Have some of the candidates been spamming them?
Don't Panic

joemamas

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 09, 2010, 12:10:55 PM

Cannot believe I am quoting the great Peter, but I posted this a few days ago, I hope I am wrong about Maughan and Tommy Carr.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Kearney or Horan (still a little concerned about his experience as a manager, but would row in behind him ahead of the rest)

2. Do not know enough about McGarry as a manager.

Micko pie in the sky, some eejitt in Dublin conceived this idea.

"what do you think Bernard" (Tommy Lyons for those of you not lucky enough to have seen him on the Sunday game) should not be even considered, would love to know who proposed him.

One conspiracy theory worth mentioning, is that Maughan and Tommy Carr (who I think is a genuine enough sort of a fella), are by all accounts close buddies, and it is hard to see them both letting themselves being interviewed, if there was not some prior arrangement that they would "manage" together. County board may buy into this as they probably have figured out the Maughan does not take football advice too kindly, and may require an equal to dispense same.

The reality of the entire issue, that not many seem to be focusing on, is that the county board is up to their arse in debt, and no matter who gets in will have very limited funds to work with. As a result they may not be able to put in place the backroom  team they would want, i.e trainer, physio etc, (after listening to Eoin Kelly's speech thanking the Tipp supporters club, coupled with the influence of club tyrone, it is apparent that to have a successful county team, you need a boatload of financial support), with the amadans at the helm in Ballymagash, it is difficult to see anybody stepping up to the plate to fulfill this function.

Having said all that, expectations are very low, it is time to start afresh, lets give Denis Kearney or James Horan a shot. 

Barney

No way to Maughan and Carr. They would have a team well prepared physically but tactically they are both clueless.

The only reason Maughan should be taken on if he can bring a strong team with him of Mayo men that can step up to the mark when he is gone. Say, a James Horan.

Muppet I don't think you can just put two people together like Horan and Colm Mc. Any two must look to work together and draw their own plans and support team up without any matchmaking by the Board.

A lot to run on this yet though! Will Maughan fill out a Questionnaire? If no, he is out of the running and we could be down to Horan as a runaway favourite.

handballer09

QuoteRumours are abound that there will be a double team of John Maughan and Tommy Carr. A Little known fact is that Tommy Carr is a native Mayo man. he was born there before moving to Dublin as a child. They were also best man at each others wedding.

Tommy Carr is a native of Holycross, Co Tipp. His brother Declan captained Tipp hurlers.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: handballer09 on September 09, 2010, 03:29:52 PM
QuoteRumours are abound that there will be a double team of John Maughan and Tommy Carr. A Little known fact is that Tommy Carr is a native Mayo man. he was born there before moving to Dublin as a child. They were also best man at each others wedding.

Tommy Carr is a native of Holycross, Co Tipp. His brother Declan captained Tipp hurlers.

No Tommy Carr was born in Mayo. Moved as a baby with his family.

muppet

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 09, 2010, 03:51:24 PM

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............
MWWSI 2017

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: muppet on September 09, 2010, 03:58:16 PM

Would you and your lot ever fook off. What a shower of dic kheads, for fear anyone else would join your little party. Your the biggest shower of w ankers i have ever come across good luck.

spuds

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 09, 2010, 04:10:48 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 09, 2010, 03:58:16 PM

Would you and your lot ever fook off. What a shower of dic kheads, for fear anyone else would join your little party. Your the biggest shower of w ankers i have ever come across good luck.

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

intoDwest

I haven't posted in a couple of years but lurk all the time.......but that by spuds has brought me out of exile!!

REDCOL

Take your Pick

Barney

Great to see you back intoDwest. We are down a few Mayo lads over the past few years. I know I went AWOL myself for a few months but the debate here on Mayo topics is always good.

Anyway spot the linemans fist in the background?