Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

spuds

Quote from: mayo51 on September 06, 2010, 11:04:15 PM
Still cannot believe any body takes petersolanthegreat seriously, or believes anything he says.All of the mayo posters are very good but there is always some fool trying to ruin every thread.I do not know  how he escaped from the hogan stand and i wish they would bring him back >:(

Think its closer to the hospital in Castlebar he escaped from
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 06, 2010, 10:50:19 PM
Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 06, 2010, 06:01:14 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 06, 2010, 05:50:54 PM
Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 06, 2010, 05:05:49 PM
So Tommy Lyons, Tommy Carr and Charlie Mulgrew have now been added to the list.

Where did you get this Peter?

If true we ve hit the bargain bin quicker than Tony Blair s book.

Inside knowledge on the first two. Charlie Mulgrew is a rumour i have heard from a few. These rumours normally have come true.

Can nobody spot a WUM when they see one????!!!!!

If it s wind up, we can do without it. Even the possibility of 'Tom Carr' or Lyons even being in the reckoning is enough to put any of us in to a terminal tailspin.

Barney

if those names have been added to the list this is a bigger mess than we ever guessed it could become.

Hard to know whether Maughan is still the best man for us but one thing is certain the bad luck of the sacking of Mickey Moran could be cursing us for another while yet.

Horan does look strong right now.

Any word on the meeting tonight

moysider

Quote from: Barney on September 06, 2010, 11:46:29 PM
if those names have been added to the list this is a bigger mess than we ever guessed it could become.

Hard to know whether Maughan is still the best man for us but one thing is certain the bad luck of the sacking of Mickey Moran could be cursing us for another while yet.

Horan does look strong right now.

Any word on the meeting tonight

Brilliant! Looks like we might owe Peter Solan The Great an apology! Early dispatches from tonight's meeting would seem to confirm that indeed Lyons and Carr have thrown their hat in ( would you blame them it s a mess). Hand s rubbing times to be sure.  The other 5 have been about for weeks, Sir John, Micko, McGarry, Horan,Kearney.
But wait a while. The guys that are doin the 'interviews' are the big hitters - not some sub comittee. Chairman, Sec. Treas. and incoming Chairman. This is big stuff if the couriers have it right. This is a brilliant exercise how to wield power and control. We re lucky to have these guys.  No messin' around with these lads. There leavin nothin to chance.

Mind you if they give us either of the Toms/ Tommies, it's time for torches and pitchforks. I suspect that there may be a stalking horse in there though. What are the odds now on a Sir John- Tom Carr double team?

Barney

QuoteWhat are the odds now on a Sir John- Tom Carr double team?

It would be so illogical to appoint two men to do the job that have been run out of Roscommon that it might just happen! We know they are close friends but would the Board pay two sets of expenses.

I guess at this stage that it is one of seven. No more openings.

It is an awful indictment of the Board that some of the better candidates that have not gone forward would not be prepared to work with the Board. While the poisoned background politics goes on we are going nowhere and I think you would get very low odds on us having the same debate this time next year.

southsider

i thought peter ford would have done a good job - did well with sligo, well with galway winning an u21 with them and looking at how they have faired since he left prob did all he could with them at that juncture. had turned castlebar into potential county champions by removing their 'plenty of talent but no substance' tag of previous years and injecting steel into their displays. mayo could do with some of the same

mannix

even more amateur than i thought, micko and now  lyons or carr? we are definetly worth laughing about.

Barney

The record number of pages for a new Manager Thread is Armagh with 63....

we can win this one lads!

the Deel Rover

if tommy lyons or tommy carr get the mayo job i'll never go to another mayo match again . for fcuk sake carr has been a failure wherever he went
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Barney

At least Lyons has won something. Carr has never tasted any success as a manager. Nothing but failure and has criticised Mayo teams quite vociferously in the past - no way. I would have no time for Lyons either - comes across as a complete bluffer.

I wonder are the Board deliberately dragging this out so nothing can happen before January and so cut down on expenses?

First you needed a letter to be nominated, then the Board could add anybody if they were interested, then interviews were to take place which didn't happen and now they want documents put forward setting out plans. We are a long way from the inevitable final decision.

Mayo News has the latest anyway:

QuoteSeven in running for Mayo manager's job

Daniel Carey
Castlebar

FOOTBALL The seven candidates for the Mayo senior football manager's job have been given two weeks to submit their plans to a sub-committee of Mayo GAA Board.
John Maughan, James Horan, Denis Kearney, Anthony McGarry, Mick O'Dwyer, Tommy Lyons and Tommy Carr are all in the running, Chairman James Waldron told Monday night's meeting of Mayo GAA Board.
Michael Diskin (Castlebar Mitchels) proposed that each of the candidates should "outline their plans in document form" and explain how they would address the issues facing football in the county. "Let the best man jump the fence and the conditions you lay down", he said. The proposal was seconded by Alan Flannery (Ballinrobe).
A sub-committee made up of Chairman James Waldron, Secretary Sean Feeney, Treasurer JP Lambe and Vice-Chairman Paddy McNicholas will "go through" the information submitted, said the Chairman, who promised to report back to delegates before any interviews are held. A time-frame of two weeks has been set down for submissions.
It came at the end of a lengthy and sometimes tetchy debate. Two delegates described some of the candidates as "failed managers" and a number of delegates expressed a preference for a manager from within the county. Others said they had no objection to an outsider, and took exception to the use of the phrase "failed managers".

Club championship draws next Sunday
THE draw for the semi-finals of the Mayo Senior, Intermediate and Junior Football Championships will take place next Sunday, September 12. The draw is due to be held at McHale Park, Castlebar, with a provisional starting time of 8pm.
Paddy McNicholas, Chairman of Mayo's Competitions Control Committee, confirmed to Monday night's meeting of Mayo GAA Board that the semi-finals will be played on the last weekend in September. He added that the Mayo U-21 A, B and C finals will be played on Saturday, September 18, the same day as the Junior Football Championship quarter-final replay between Parke and Ardnaree.

Mayo U-21 and minor managers reappointed
RAY Dempsey and Tony Duffy are staying on as Mayo U-21 and minor manager respectively. Both had their positions ratified at Monday night's meeting of Mayo GAA Board. Hurling Board chairman John Hopkins said it was hoped to have a new Mayo senior hurling manager in place "in the next month".

20 Mayo clubs owe money
A total of €35,000 is owed by clubs to Mayo GAA Board from the Development Draw, membership, referees and some levies, Treasurer JP Lambe told Monday night's meeting.
The figure would, he said, "pay our interest for two months" and the Board would "have to get these cheques" when clubs are collecting All-Ireland tickets. The Treasurer read out the names of 20 clubs who owed money, and said the Board would be "holding back" tickets "until we get the cheques".
Michael Heraty (Westport) said the Board should "stay away" from "blackmailing clubs" over All-Ireland tickets, while Alan Flannery (Ballinrobe) criticised the standard of invoices being sent by the County Board.
"We're not holding clubs to blackmail," said JP Lambe. "Only a few clubs owe substantial amounts ... If clubs came to us at the start of the year and were co-operative, it would be much easier."

Check out next week's Mayo News for a more detailed account of the meeting.

QuoteLyons in race for Mayo job

Former Dubs boss joins the shortlist of interested parties

Mike Finnerty

RTÉ Sunday Game pundit Tommy Lyons, a native of Castlebar, is officially in the race to be the next Mayo senior football manager.
The former Offaly and Dublin boss told The Mayo News last night (Monday) that he would be "honoured" to be the next Mayo manager if chosen.
Club delegates were expected to be informed of Lyons' intentions at last night's Mayo GAA Board meeting in Castlebar where the 'management appointment committee' was also expected to be finalised.
Lyons (50) joins John Maughan, James Horan, Mick O'Dwyer, Denis Kearney and Anthony McGarry in the running for the vacant post, while there has also been some speculation that ex-Dublin, Roscommon and Cavan boss, Tommy Carr, is interested.
"I was asked if I'd let my name go forward and I said that it would be an honour to be involved, to manage Mayo," said Tommy Lyons.
"At the same time, if they want to go with a local guy, a local candidate, then I won't stand in their way. But, I'd like to think I'm a passionate Mayo man too, having lived in Castlebar until I was 11 years of age."
Lyons, whose father, Tansey, is a native of Louisburgh, also added that he "wasn't in it for the money". "I'd be honoured to be involved with a Mayo team if I was wanted," he concluded.
The identity of John O'Mahony's successor remains extremely uncertain and club delegates were expected to air their views at last night's County Board meeting at McHale Park.
They were also expected to be asked to ratify the 'selection committee' which will interview the candidates.
Interestingly, the Mayo senior team management was only one of nine items on the agenda for last night's meeting.
Tony Duffy and Ray Dempsey were expected to be reappointed as Mayo minor and U-21 managers respectively, while the pressing issues of fund-raising, the Mayo GAA development draw and finance were also down for discussion.

Sean Rice criticsed Mick O'Dwyer last week but every week seems to be pushing the views of Liam O'Neill who doesn't even live in the country. While he does have good points to make surely Micko deserves the same respect from the writer:

QuoteWhat direction will Mayo take?

ENSCONCED though he is in far away San Diego, Liam O'Neill has not lost touch with developments on the Gaelic football fields of this country.
A Galway man, who developed a passion for physical and mental fitness, even before losing three senior All-Ireland finals with his native county, O'Neill believes that a winning culture will be rediscovered in Mayo football only when a positive programme for under age players is fully implemented.
Elsewhere on these pages he advocates the appointment of a director of football to cater mainly for the successful transition of players from minor level to the higher grades. He lists the requisite qualities with which the director ought to be equipped and the development programme to be implemented in order to achieve the necessary level of excellence.
At first glance the programme — embracing players from sixteen and upwards — might seem an impracticable approach for young amateur footballers, but a similar system of development is the norm in many counties especially in the North of Ireland from which outstanding minor teams have emerged in recent years.
O'Neill claims his proposals are no different than those drawn up by Martin Carney, Kevin McStay, John Prenty, Seamus Gallagher and others five years ago after painstaking preparatory work, a programme that was never implemented.
I don't know what stage the proposed County Board review of football in Mayo has reached, but serious consideration of those recommendations is vital in any review if Mayo football is ever to recapture old glory.
Meanwhile, the search for a new manager continues. In addition to John Maughan, James Horan, Anthony McGarry and Denis Kearney, it is understood the names of Tommy Carr and Tommy Lyons may be added.
They have had stints as manager of Dublin, and Carr has just finished up his reign as boss of Cavan. Only last week I was reminded by the eagle-eyed Billy Murphy in Castlebar that contrary to what I had stated previously, Tommy Lyons is not a native of Louisburgh. He was born in Castlebar; his father, also Tommy, came from Louisburgh.
Neither Tommy Lyons nor Carr are considered serious contenders for the Mayo post despite the managerial experience of each. It seems that Mick O'Dwyer and John Maughan are the front runners, with James Horan in close pursuit.
A meeting of Mayo GAA Board was due to be held last night (Monday) to update delegates on the progress made to select the new boss.
One eligible person, who has not been nominated, is Peter Ford. The word is that the former Sligo and Galway boss is not interested in the post, but his credentials are so impressive that it behoves those delegated to conduct the interviews to make serious attempts to win his interest.
In Galway, nominations from clubs for a new manager were to have been submitted by yesterday (Monday)-. Mick O'Dwyer is among those mentioned in what is regarded as a wide open race.
Former Laois and Limerick manager Liam Kearns is also being suggested as a possible candidate. Others include former Dublin selector Brian Talty, Alan Mulholland, Gerry Fahy and former Caltra and Clare manager, Frank Doherty.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Barney on September 07, 2010, 01:53:38 PM

I wonder are the Board deliberately dragging this out so nothing can happen before January and so cut down on expenses?

Do you know Barney, I'm not sure that would be all that bad an idea?

Moysider has mentioned before about how a manager can be undermined when a new chairman takes over. Why not park this, let the new Chairman take over and then see where we are.

What's the rush? The only fixture that's on before Christmas is the FBD Final in New York and they could have Feeney himself manage the team for that. All he has to do is make sure no-one falls off the Brooklyn Bridge when they're out on the town getting hammered that weekend. The process is clearly farcical at this stage and maybe a step back is called for, to give people a chance to have a bit of sense.

AZOffaly

If Tommy Lyons gets the job in Mayo (he's a native Mayoean right?) then will 'Arseboxing' re-enter the vernacular? I love that saying.

INDIANA

Carr did quite well with a very limited dublin team. However that dublin team would have climbed Everest had he asked them to. Not many can inspire that.

He also did very well with Roscommon until they objected to him wanting lads off booze coming into the championship. Hardly unreasonable demand.

So its pretty incorrect to call the man a failure. He may be limited but he isn't the idiot depicted here.

Slightly ironic Johnson came out in hsi favour when he is the only player Cavan have worth talking about. Its not Tommy's job to be checking out every pub in Cavan looking for his players.

If given a choice between Lyons and Carr. Its Carr every day of the week.

Mayo unfortunately is a thankless task like the Dublin job. Limited players judged by all-ireland winning standards by their fans. Impossible task for any manager currently in my view>

the Deel Rover

What has he won as a manager Indiana ? Have any of the teams that he managed actually improved while he managed him ? As far as i can see all he is good at is self promoting . Didn't some team offer him 25k a few years back to manage them according to tommy himself
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Jinxy

Quote from: INDIANA on September 07, 2010, 03:49:02 PM
Carr did quite well with a very limited dublin team. However that dublin team would have climbed Everest had he asked them to. Not many can inspire that.

He also did very well with Roscommon until they objected to him wanting lads off booze coming into the championship. Hardly unreasonable demand.

So its pretty incorrect to call the man a failure. He may be limited but he isn't the idiot depicted here.

Slightly ironic Johnson came out in hsi favour when he is the only player Cavan have worth talking about. Its not Tommy's job to be checking out every pub in Cavan looking for his players.

If given a choice between Lyons and Carr. Its Carr every day of the week.

Mayo unfortunately is a thankless task like the Dublin job. Limited players judged by all-ireland winning standards by their fans. Impossible task for any manager currently in my view>

In fairness he wanted them to stop playing pool as well.
And they love their pool in Roscommon.
If you were any use you'd be playing.