Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

Mayo4Sam

Actually history shows we always did better when there were no Knockmore men on a Mayo team that made the AIF, 3 county titles from the 3 years.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Tubberman

Anything of note happen at the CB executive meeting tonight does anyone know?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

saffronandblue

Quote from: mayo51 on August 31, 2010, 11:32:18 PM
Quote from: saffronandblue on August 31, 2010, 10:35:46 PM
Just shows you how bad things are in Mayo when we cannot even come up with a better candidate than Maughan........Mayo God help us.
jeez saffronandblue ,your posts are way over the top as regards maughan.To say he was a complete failure is utter nonsense especially after the last 4 years of misery.The most we can ask for from any manager is to have the team very competive and play to the best of there ability and maughans teams usually done that.I for one would settle for that right now but it still seems to me that some of the knockmore posters would settle for 4 or 5 of there clubmen on the county team,rather than being successfull.

I don't believe that my comments are over the top.  We have gone with Maughan twice before to no avail.  In terms of Knockmore players, only Kilcoyne when fit should get on the team imo.  The pattern of appointments have followed a very similar path, with politics been the most important consideration rather than football, which is sad.  Surely there is 1 other person in the country who is better than Maughan????????????????? Obviously not, so why is he not in charge for the last 15 years. 

Yes, he will make us more competitive than the last few years, which would not be hard.  But in terms of tactical ability he falls far short of what is needed to take us over the line.  Some of his tactical decisions and sustitutions in his most recent club game shows that he has not learned................a Tom Reilly type substitution handed Knockmore the game last weekend, ask anyone in Crossmolina and they will tell you that.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: saffronandblue on September 01, 2010, 09:09:46 AM
Quote from: mayo51 on August 31, 2010, 11:32:18 PM
Quote from: saffronandblue on August 31, 2010, 10:35:46 PM
Just shows you how bad things are in Mayo when we cannot even come up with a better candidate than Maughan........Mayo God help us.
jeez saffronandblue ,your posts are way over the top as regards maughan.To say he was a complete failure is utter nonsense especially after the last 4 years of misery.The most we can ask for from any manager is to have the team very competive and play to the best of there ability and maughans teams usually done that.I for one would settle for that right now but it still seems to me that some of the knockmore posters would settle for 4 or 5 of there clubmen on the county team,rather than being successfull.

I don't believe that my comments are over the top.  We have gone with Maughan twice before to no avail.  In terms of Knockmore players, only Kilcoyne when fit should get on the team imo.  The pattern of appointments have followed a very similar path, with politics been the most important consideration rather than football, which is sad.  Surely there is 1 other person in the country who is better than Maughan????????????????? Obviously not, so why is he not in charge for the last 15 years. 

Yes, he will make us more competitive than the last few years, which would not be hard.  But in terms of tactical ability he falls far short of what is needed to take us over the line.  Some of his tactical decisions and sustitutions in his most recent club game shows that he has not learned................a Tom Reilly type substitution handed Knockmore the game last weekend, ask anyone in Crossmolina and they will tell you that.

Kevin McLoughlin?

Coolio

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 31, 2010, 10:56:24 PM
Quote from: Coolio on August 31, 2010, 10:53:24 PM
Did anyone hear the rumour that Joe Cooney from Galway is in line for the job........

the hurling job that is!  :D

A Tooreen a parallel Mayo Universe, maybe ye got it right with yer sport of choice.

A parallel universe is right...But we also turn out more minor footballers than most football clubs so we can claim to live in everyone else's world at the same time... We just have a liking for smaller balls!
We're the devils men...

macdanger2

I don't think Maughan is the answer, he's been here before and it ended up with him being abused for not being sufficiently aware from a tactical standpoint, no reason to believe it would end any differently this time. The same people who are on here saying they would rather have Maughan and be in AIFs than losing to Sligo and Longford are the same ones who would be lambasting him if he lost a semi-final / final.

Micko would be an interesting gamble but for me it would be far too much of a gamble considering where we are.

I think we would be best going for Kearney / McGarry / Horan and give them their shot at the bigtime. Considering the low point we are at, it's an ideal opportunity for a new manager.

Barney

QuoteMayo board to meet with manager nominees
01 September 2010

Following a meeting of the Mayo county executive on Tuesday, the officers of the board will meet with all of those nominated for the position of Mayo senior team manager.

The board have been directed to compile a short list of candidates for the position.

Following this, a manager appointment committee will be appointed by the executive, and ratified by the county committee to interview those candidates.

What the hell does all of this mean?

Will the officers only put together a short-list from the nominees? Will they be able to discard the nominations of the club in preparing a short-list? Will Micko go for an interview? When will all of this take place?

This thing is being made up as we go along!

rosnarun

Horan yes , but maybe not yet.
After the JOM ballsup and the precarious state he left the team in . Mayo need a  experienced manager to stop the rot . even if it was for just one year. As i don't for see any huge player changes next year Micko could work as a last hurray  manager before a big clean out and new young manager comes in. Micko may not bring much in the way of modern coaching but he can fool/inspire them for one year and playing at full potential this year has shown in other games mayo have the squad to match any . when they are not being hobbled
players on their last chance/whole lot of mileage up as in i cant see them starting in 2 years with out and All ireland final appearance minimum in 2011 .
A dillion
T mort
C mort
andy
Mcgarrity
Parsons
Howley
Clarke
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 31, 2010, 10:33:11 PM
As someone who has alway been anti Maughan since '96 & Chuckiegate, I have to say he's the most appealing, has twice taken us from nowhere to AIFs.
Honestly I'd take that again

I think we in Knockmore have to build a bridge and get over what happened in Maughan's previous tenures. He is the stand out candidate at the minute and we are at an all time low and he seems to be able to get us out of nowhere to AIFs, or damn near it anyway. I would take him to be honest.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mannix

I think I would take john maughan again, I hope if he gets it that he will be able to pick players from any club based on their merit. Mayo should have enough skilled players to do the business, the minors and u 21 teams are at least pointing this out and the display the latest minors put on was encouraging.
James horan and ray dempsey would be others I would like to see in the job, them all in together would be the ideal situation but maybe thats too much to expect.Either way the only way is up for Mayo and the county board are all that stand in the way. I would expect trouble if micko gets the nod, too far away to be doing the job right.

Farrandeelin

Tyrone aren't Division 1 anymore moysider! ANyway I wouldn't mind Horan either...just the fact that he's young and would approach the games with his own modern ideas, which might/will be needed to freshen things up.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

I dont think the Rhubarb Co Board can choose a manager till this thread hits 100 pages  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 02, 2010, 08:56:07 PM
Tyrone aren't Division 1 anymore moysider! ANyway I wouldn't mind Horan either...just the fact that he's young and would approach the games with his own modern ideas, which might/will be needed to freshen things up.

It s not a question of who we would n't mind anymore it s who we get. As far as I understand it, if Maughan and Micko don't appear before the interview board they cannot be given the job? Is that correct?

I doubt very much if either Maughan or Micko would be disposed to the indignity of being interviewed after what they ve done in the past. If that is the case then, whatever we think about them on here, probably the two most popular candidates among the public would be out of the race. Even more bizarre they are the 2  fellas the  executive wanted as well.

Maigheo Abu

Why would the 3rd coming of Sir John be any different than the 2nd coming of his compadre Johnno. Surely what we need is a clean slate, new ideas, and (Dear Santa) the Co Board to back off and give one of our own some breathing room to develop a squad over a few years without hype and expectation. We have the talent at minor and U'21 coming through, leave it to one man and HIS selectors to do a job over a 3 year period.
Forget about Johns and Mickos. They have all chuckied their lá's.
Where the ocean kisses Ireland and the waves caress it's shores

mrenergizer

lets hope mmicko stays in wicklow. Mayo are heading no were :D