Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

muppet

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on August 31, 2010, 04:31:14 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 31, 2010, 02:50:11 PM
Quote from: paddypastit on August 31, 2010, 12:18:20 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on August 30, 2010, 11:50:52 PM
in total about 16 million
no i dont have special info , ;ike most here im a mayo man in exile . not too farawy but exile all the same.
It pisses me off when i see the moaning about Structures ect when all they actually know/Care about the GAA in the county is the Senior team ans even then in an airy fairy way hoping for knight in shining armor to come in one swoop and Win the AIF without putting in the hard yards.
Life don't work like that
Folks I don't know anything about building but I was in McHale Park for the Connacht final having not been there since the last time Sligo played a Connacht final there in 2002. Granmted the new stand is wider and deeper and there's a bit of work done on other walls as well as that yoke on McHale Rd that all the fusss was (is?) about but for all yet have after... €16m - and folk give out about banks and NAMA. That is just unreal and totally and utterly unjustifiable for any provincial ground at any time. I'm at a loss for words - I'm sure there is some learned quote out there somewhere about false pride... oif I was that learned.

I am sick to the back teeth with the bitching about the new stand, its a fine structure and adds greatly to the Infractructure of Mayo GAA.

The stand is on the wrong side of the pitch, ever sat there when the sun is setting or the rain blowing into the back rows of the stand, both old and new. The "Bertie Bowl" was stopped in its tracks it's a pity the "Castlebar Folly" didn't suffer the same fate. A fine millstone around the necks of all our clubs both big and small. All this at a time when clubs, especially in rural areas are losing out yet again to emigration. A fine piece of infrastructure for crows to nest in it for roughly 362 days a year.

Even Bertie wouldn't have got planning on the other side of the road.
MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 31, 2010, 06:03:04 PM
I wish one way or the other the oul bollix would make up his mind. Mannix is 100% correct, we are the laughing stock of the country right now. :-[ Mayo God help us is right.

#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 31, 2010, 06:03:04 PM
we are the laughing stock of the country right now. .

What's new . I thought ye always were  ;D ;D ;D ;D

As for Micko ...... I'd better say nothing or he'll sue the GaaBoard.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 31, 2010, 04:49:27 PM

Whether Mick O'Dwyer should be Mayo manager is a matter for the people of Mayo but I really have to take exception with some of the half-truths passing for journalistic comment in the article Barney posted

QuoteO'Dwyer is not the answer

Sean Rice

It stretches the imagination to believe that O'Dwyer is the panacea for the football problems facing Mayo. He draws national attention because of his genuine success as manager of Kerry . . . a long time ago.
Outside the county his achievements are less illustrious. Kildare, whom he guided to an All-Ireland final in 1998, is his biggest boast. Laois and Wicklow exemplify only his ordinariness as a coach.

QuoteLiam O'Neill, one of the most respected coaches to lead Mayo — and who has no interest in returning to the post — had this to say of Mick O'Dwyer:
"I know one thing, he will raise a lot of money as he did in Wicklow with golf classics etc. But he is old news and has not moved up with the times. That's why he failed at Kildare, Laois and Wicklow. His method of running around 30 laps of the field is not the new way to get lads fit."

Kiladre hadn't made an All Ireland final since 1935 before Micko arrived.
Laois hadn't won a Leinster championship since 1946 before Micko arrived
Wicklow had never won 4 championship matches in a season before Micko arrived.

If that's failure, success must be a very hard thing to achieve.

When JOM took over Mayo in the 80s he got them to there first All Ireland final for 38 years it was seen as a success in Mayo.. since then unless you win the All Ireland it's  a failure as Moran/Maughan will concur

So a lot of pressure on 74 year old to succeed
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

spectator

Fair play to ye, Mayo posters. Some intriguing points being put forward on the last few pages of this thread.

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1150:odwyer-a-drifter-in-mayo-management-betting&catid=35:gaelic&Itemid=83

From being odds-on last week, former Kerry legend Mick O'Dwyer has taken a huge walk in the betting market for the Mayo senior football management job. O'Dwyer has seen his odds go to 7/1 and in line with the general thinking that he would find little support from the Mayo GAA clubs. A meeting of the Mayo County Board is down for next Monday night but it is unlikely a new manager will be put before that meeting ahead of planned interviews with all the nominees.

John Maughan has now been installed as the new favourite to get the job, with Ballintubber's James Horan in second place.
There has been some disquiet around the county that the Mayo Supporters Club in Dublin has been acting alone and pushing for the appointment of O'Dwyer to the post which was vacated by John O'Mahony.

It is also common knowledge that a well-known Mayo businessman has been lending his support to bring the 74-year-old to Mayo, but the belief is that the Kerryman is likely to stay in Wicklow as the support does not appear to be there for him in Mayo.

Although John Maughan has been nominated for the position, the Crossmolina man has not indicated his interest in the job.
A condition of being nominated is that the nominee must send a letter to the board indicating his interest in the post.

Mayo county secretary Sean Feeney told The Connaught Telegraph yesterday (Monday) the names that have been put forward will be presented to the meeting of the board on Monday night when the views of the clubs and the divisional boards will be heard. "They will have the option of going with those or seeking other names for the position. Ultimately, the clubs will have their say and it won't be a case of the board imposing any manager," he said.

Paddy Powers latest odds on the Mayo senior management job
8/13 John Maughan, 7/4 James Horan, 6/1 Denis Kearney, 7/1 Mick O'Dwyer and 16/1 Anthony McGarry

Peter Solan the Great

I'd like to know more about the role Club Mayo are playing in all of this. On Willie Joe's blog  and their own website they issued a statement denying any involvement. But now it seems they are intrinsically linked and are the only ones pushing Mick O'Dwyer.

Dear Members   

We are aware that there has been much speculation in the local and national press with regard to the impending appointment of a new manager for the Mayo Senior Football Team.   

Any implication of involvement in this process by Club Mayo is without foundation. The process is being undertaken by Mayo County Board alone and we have not and will not be expressing any preference for any potential candidate. 

We look forward to supporting the new Manager, whoever that may be, once appointed. 

CLUB MAYO EXECUTIVE   

muppet

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on August 31, 2010, 08:50:27 PM
I'd like to know more about the role Club Mayo are playing in all of this. On Willie Joe's blog  and their own website they issued a statement denying any involvement. But now it seems they are intrinsically linked and are the only ones pushing Mick O'Dwyer.

Dear Members   

We are aware that there has been much speculation in the local and national press with regard to the impending appointment of a new manager for the Mayo Senior Football Team.   

Any implication of involvement in this process by Club Mayo is without foundation. The process is being undertaken by Mayo County Board alone and we have not and will not be expressing any preference for any potential candidate. 

We look forward to supporting the new Manager, whoever that may be, once appointed. 

CLUB MAYO EXECUTIVE   

Someone with an axe to grind down west has been blaming someone else in Dublin. They seem to have the wrong target.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: REDCOL on August 31, 2010, 05:35:10 PM
The Mayo News seems to have an agenda against Micko, I was going to mention some of the inaccuracies in Sean Rices piece.

But at 75 years of age  - 74 actually Sean

is now a well-dipped tea bag - any mirrors in wesport. Ageist anyone ?

Laois and Wicklow exemplify only his ordinariness as a coach - already addressed

Finally, any journalist that can write a piece should do at least a little research and he would know that some of the names he has named have already been sounded out on more than one occassion.

I really would like to see Micko get the gig now. Sean & Mike could moan about it for the next two years.

It s unfortunate that some people still pay heed to Rice. The guy s had some agendas in recent years. Anybody remember the goes he had at David Brady and Ciarán MacDonald.
In the above article it was his attempts to spice up Peter Forde and describing the Holmes/Connelly/ Collins U21 largely underachieving campaigns as ' inspiring'  that took the buscuit.

Anyway it looks like the Micko trail is going cold and he is now 7/1 with Paddy Power which says a lot. I believe his supporters on the executive have changed tack and have got the largely hostile message from the clubs to the Micko idea. In other words they ve been told. At least that is what I was told last night.

Not sure where it leaves us though. A lot to be said for Maughan again I suppose. We wont be as watery as recent years and I suppose getting towards the summit again would be better than stuck at base camp for eternity. But even if he has players capable of getting to a semi or a final what then?  We can worry about that if it happens I suppose but what will have changed with him from the last time. Will his sideline craft have improved? His ability to select and set up a team for the big ones? Will he still want to train the team himself in the old way?  It ll go a long way but.... I think these are issues that needs to be addressed  at that meeting. All very well stopping Micko getting the job but are we thinking the rest of it out? All very well for McStay and O Neill saying we need to get the best man for the job, but how in hell is anybody supposed to know who that could be? There is no name inside or outside the county, that is available, that jumps out at ye.

saffronandblue

Imagine going back to Maughan again for the third time.........this would be the greatest joke of all.  All of his last management efforts have ended in total failure....Crossmolina, St. Geralds(he had a super panel of players to work with), Ross, Mayo etc, etc, etc.  They go on about Micko having only one trick up his sleeve in getting teams to do 30 laps of a field....Sir John is no better.......apart from the tan....post to post been his signature mark.

Will they have to bring Johnno back again when Maughan has finished???????????????????????????????????????????

Mayo4Sam

As someone who has alway been anti Maughan since '96 & Chuckiegate, I have to say he's the most appealing, has twice taken us from nowhere to AIFs.
Honestly I'd take that again
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

saffronandblue

Just shows you how bad things are in Mayo when we cannot even come up with a better candidate than Maughan........Mayo God help us.

Coolio

Did anyone hear the rumour that Joe Cooney from Galway is in line for the job........

the hurling job that is!  :D
We're the devils men...

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Coolio on August 31, 2010, 10:53:24 PM
Did anyone hear the rumour that Joe Cooney from Galway is in line for the job........

the hurling job that is!  :D

A Tooreen a parallel Mayo Universe, maybe ye got it right with yer sport of choice.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayo51

Quote from: saffronandblue on August 31, 2010, 10:35:46 PM
Just shows you how bad things are in Mayo when we cannot even come up with a better candidate than Maughan........Mayo God help us.
jeez saffronandblue ,your posts are way over the top as regards maughan.To say he was a complete failure is utter nonsense especially after the last 4 years of misery.The most we can ask for from any manager is to have the team very competive and play to the best of there ability and maughans teams usually done that.I for one would settle for that right now but it still seems to me that some of the knockmore posters would settle for 4 or 5 of there clubmen on the county team,rather than being successfull.

stephenite

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 31, 2010, 10:33:11 PM
As someone who has alway been anti Maughan since '96 & Chuckiegate, I have to say he's the most appealing, has twice taken us from nowhere to AIFs.
Honestly I'd take that again

Chuckiegate - Fcuk me  :D :D :D

Next thing it will be Maughan who broke his leg in 1997