Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

moysider

Quote from: Barney on August 30, 2010, 07:36:34 PM
Interesting to hear that REDCOL.

As the poster with the best sources where do you reckon this is going to end up?

I think it is alarming that this is a real possibility. What has the man achieved since Laois won Leinster? I know he did get Wicklow on a good run last year but that hasn't been followed up. He is a GAA legend but his time is done. Training wise we will be taking a step back. Tactically we will be inept. And most importantly we do not need to be the centre of media circus.

Some rubbish long-term thinking but we are at a crossroads now. There are lads there around the 23, 24, 25 mark who are at the decisive time. They can either fulfil potential and show that the past 4 years were just a bad dream. Or else they can push on, stand up for themselves and challenge at the top level. They are fellas that do not need exposure. We need a low profile manager who gets into their heads, who builds up a panel that is "Team Mayo" and has them raring to go next Summer.

And rest assured if Micko does take it we will be back with the same rubbish next year win, lose or draw - with him blathering on about not knowing whether he will hang around etc etc.

Of course I would be delighted if it would work out but it is more a social experiment destined to failure.

It is time for initiative from the County Board. Their flawed system for appointment has put them in this mess. Head hunt whoever they think is the best Mayo man or group of Mayo men to lead the team and move on.

I see where you re coming from Barney. However I think the fact that some of the executive have gone after Micko, and indeed turning to Maughan again, shows how bare they consider the cupboard is at home. They have only themselves to blame for that to an extent. Instead of the underage teams being used to blood men who had ambitions to manage the senior team in the future a lot of those appointees were just unsuitable or were not prepared to move up. I m talking about the likes of JP Kean, Carney, McStay, Reilly and Ivors. Also the fact that Holmes was put in charge of the U21s after a poor senior term did not add up either. Connelly would have more credibility now if he had been let go alone but it looks like the board did not trust him without a minder - a bit like Stan and Bobby, with apologies to Bobby.
The word over the weekend was that the executive was split between Maughan and Johnno. They re being conservative because they re afraid to go with a rookie manager, in case it goes belly-up - at least they ll know what they ll get with Maughan and Micko. There is also the financal angle. Money is the bottom line and right now Mayo is not attractive to sponsors or investors or whatever. Mayo is now a taker and give nothing back. Losing  your 2 championship games a year is a poor exposure return for sponsors say like Elverys. I m sure they would be expecting that their jersey would be on tv a few times during the summer and in front of big crowds in Croke Park. I bet they sold more jerseys in 06 than they have in the 4 years since. So low key might seem like a good idea to me and you but not to the marketing men and the executive who need the money coming in. Whatever we may think of him Micko and, to a lesser extent, Maughan would have the sponsors rubbing their hands.

I just highlighted the training bit because really very unlikely that the training and coaching could go backwards on the last 4 years. Before the Longford game this year sessions were so flat, Morrison s old drills and conditioned games were dusted off to try and get a spark going. But what was smart and fluid in 06 was a mess with fellas not able to do anything at speed or under pressure without fumbling and turning over possession.

Barney

And if it is Micko is there any word on who his selectors will be?

Barney

While I agree as well that the McHale Park project is a huge consideration a successful team is what is going to cure or at least help heal the financial woes.

The Chairman and Treasurer are two of the people behind the development which was sloppy, haphazard, overly expensive, and has caused problems with the locals.

REDCOL

No word on selectors, a lot of mistakes made by all board members on the mc hale park project.

moysider

We ll have a new chairman in November so maybe that will be a help in sorting out issues with the locals. I think that this would be a good time to remind ourselves that it was Paddy Naughton as chairman in 05 that was behind the appointment of M and M. when he was succeeded as Chairman the 2 had no friendly face to turn to on the executive. In fact they were dead men walking as soon as Naughton stepped aside.

The next manager will need to be more than the Chairman s choice if he s to last long,  because Waldron will have as little say as you or I in a few months time.

Barney

So in summary REDCOL if you were backing man you would go for Micko right now?

The dangerous position we are in is that if they blow their Micko daliance they could alienate so many potential candidates that we could still be without a manager come November/December. Don't rule out a 100 page thread on this yet!

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: Barney on August 30, 2010, 08:55:58 PM
While I agree as well that the McHale Park project is a huge consideration a successful team is what is going to cure or at least help heal the financial woes.

The Chairman and Treasurer are two of the people behind the development which was sloppy, haphazard, overly expensive, and has caused problems with the locals.

The Chairman and Treasurer are two of the people that ensured that all work on the new ground was kept local and gave vital employment which kept a few firms head above water. I suppose you'd rather give it to Sisks or MacNamara instead?

Barney

QuoteThe Chairman and Treasurer are two of the people that ensured that all work on the new ground was kept local and gave vital employment which kept a few firms head above water. I suppose you'd rather give it to Sisks or MacNamara instead?

It is admirable that it was kept local and we all like to support our own in the GAA. But when you splash out €20m there is little room for sentiment. Did the architects/engineers have experience in this area, or did they consult with experienced parties? The construction firms just followed the plans. What is the benefit to the clubs and supporters that are going to have to fund this? A smaller stand could have been built. Was there a need for the watchtower. Remember there is only one big game there every year on average.

Maybe if there is money going for a manager it should be kept in Mayo as well? 

IolarCoisCuain

Exactly Barney. No point in building the damn thing in the first place. And we'll be paying for it for generations.

moysider

Quote from: Barney on August 30, 2010, 09:18:19 PM
QuoteThe Chairman and Treasurer are two of the people that ensured that all work on the new ground was kept local and gave vital employment which kept a few firms head above water. I suppose you'd rather give it to Sisks or MacNamara instead?

It is admirable that it was kept local and we all like to support our own in the GAA. But when you splash out €20m there is little room for sentiment. Did the architects/engineers have experience in this area, or did they consult with experienced parties? The construction firms just followed the plans. What is the benefit to the clubs and supporters that are going to have to fund this? A smaller stand could have been built. Was there a need for the watchtower. Remember there is only one big game there every year on average.

Maybe if there is money going for a manager it should be kept in Mayo as well?

Er ... they didn't follow the plans. The plans that quantity surveyors priced were not the plans that was built. It was priced as a cantilever and some of the prices were very competitive with the end cost of the dumbed down version. My guess is that the poles were put in to reduce costs ( less steel) and increase profits on the job. At least if we had a stand we could be proud of we wouldn't mind havin to pay for it. But that yoke. And the watchtower.

rosnarun

It amuses me the way people here with very little Knowledge of the day to day scene in mayo Bleat about how poor the structures are on on hand spend the rest of the time giving out about and attempt at building a structure such as the redevelopment of machale park (its a hell of a lot more than just a stand) or. long term planning for the team or the Balllyhaunis development. these are the essential parts that will keep mayo dining at the top table  . which we have been doing since the mid 90's more consistently than 75% of teams.  esp at under age level.
Sure there one or two pieces missing from the final puzzle but we just got to keep doing the right things.
Getting rid of O'mahony is a huge first step and long over due but the at worst the powers that be showed an loyalty the man did not desrve . not the worst trait in the world.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

rosnarun

word at the time was the poles saved €1 million .
Worst thing about it is the lack of cross aisles . could be dangerous in a crush
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Quote from: REDCOL on August 30, 2010, 10:35:14 PM
http://www.wicklowgaaonline.com/index.php/2010/08/decision-in-ten-days/

Jesus, but Micko is not a man to sell his hen on a wet day. He s waitin for bigger fish to take his bait. Apologies for mixing metaphors and all that but this guy is good.

Cosmo Kramer

He's worked that situation nicely alright. Just enough time to find out if the Mayo jobs a goer and if not he has his fallback position ready and waiting.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100