Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

Lar Naparka

Quote from: stephenite on August 17, 2010, 08:04:11 AM
On a different note - we may as well try and win something this year - if ye have the time drop a vote for Ireland's most dedicated GAA fan - Thomas Harrison.

http://www.supervalu.ie/in_the_community/irelands_most_dedicated_gaa_fan_final_voting.724.bursarylist.html

PS: I'm not Thomas Harrison

No problem!
Sounds like an uber dedicated fan alright. ;D
He just might  be the man we're looking for to don our Bainisteor's bib.
Come to think of it, we should try and get him to go head to head with Sligonian- that would be some contest; might well go into extra time.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Barney

QuoteThe deadline for nominations for the Mayo senior manager's job is next Friday.  At the moment these men would seem to be on most people's short-list of candidates.

Mike Finnerty

John Maughan
THE man who has managed Mayo for two stints already 'kicked to touch' last week when asked by this writer if he was interested in going back to complete 'the hat-trick'.
The Crossmolina manager smiled as he said, "I love being involved in football, I love being involved in Crossmolina football, and that's my focus at the moment."
It certainly wasn't a denial of any interest in the Mayo job and there is no doubt that he has the self-belief, experience and knowledge of the local club scene that will be required by the next bainisteoir.
However, whether he and the Mayo GAA Board have the ability to work together for a third time remains to be seen. But stranger things have happened.
ODDS: 6/4

Mick O'Dwyer
THE former Kerry, Kildare, Laois and Wicklow manager has made no secret of his admiration for Mayo and its footballers down through the years.
Speculation suggests that contact was made with the Waterville hotelier in recent weeks by a Mayo GAA representative. However, he has also been sounded out by a cluster of other counties, including Galway and Laois.
It remains to be seen if he is really interested, or if Mayo really want him, but the issue of travelling from Waterville to Castlebar (a round-trip of 432 miles) three times a week will be a huge factor all concerned. After all, that's a lot of mileage — and diesel!
ODDS: 3/1

James Horan
THE Ballintubber manager enjoyed a sparkling inter-county playing career, winning two All-Stars, playing in three All-Ireland finals (including a replay) and earning three Connacht senior championship medals.
He has also taken well to club management; along with Tony Duffy he masterminded the Mayo Intermediate championship win in 2007 and Ballintubber are now a formidable force in the senior ranks.
Does he want the Mayo job? Like Ray Dempsey, Horan is an ambitious coach who is sure to have his sights set on the post at some point in the future. Is the timing right though, for him, or the power-brokers?
ODDS: 4/1

Peter Ford
THE Ballinrobe native is currently in his second year as Castlebar Mitchels manager and, by all accounts, is enjoying the role.
The team are going well, through to the quarter-finals of the club championship, and he has trusted lieutenant, Tommy O'Malley, alongside him in a very experienced management set-up.
The former Sligo and Galway boss has suggested in the past that he would like to manage the Mayo senior team. However, does he still want to? Do the powers-that-be want him? Or can they convince him that they want him?
He would be a popular choice but whether or not he wants to take on one of the most-demanding GAA jobs in the country is still unclear.
ODDS: 5/1

Noel Connelly
HE is the name on everybody's lips and if a number of internet polls are to be believed, the firm favourite among the Mayo supporters to get the job. Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately!) the County Board won't make their decision based on website opinion polls.
The former Mayo captain and U-21 joint manager has been linked with the senior job from the moment that John O'Mahony resigned. However, the Hollymount clubman has made no public comment yet on whether he is interested or not.
If he was to throw his hat in the ring, he would be a hard man to stop. However, the grapevine suggests that the time might not be right just yet to take on this sort of time-consuming role.
ODDS: 6/1

Denis Kearney
THE former Charlestown and Swinford clubman was a no-nonsense defender, and forward, in his day for club and county. That same pragmatic approach has also served him well in management so far as the results (and county titles) with Curry in Sligo and Castlerea in Roscommon will testify.
As a Mayo player, Kearney won Connacht championship medals in 1985, '88 and '89 so knows exactly what it takes to succeed on the battle-field.
He may not enjoy the high-profile of some of the other contenders for the job but nobody is more passionate and driven. The word is that he wants it, but can he persuade the interview panel?

Ray Dempsey
THE current Mayo U-21 manager may not have captured a Connacht championship title at the first attempt last spring but it certainly wasn't for the lack of trying.
He also made quite an impression during his stint as county minor manager, winning two Connacht titles and reaching two All-Ireland finals in the space of three years.
Does he want to manage the Mayo senior team? Like any ambitious young coach in the county, the answer is probably yes. But does he want to manage them next season? Only he knows the answer. And, more importantly, would he have the support of the decision-makers?
ODDS: 10/1

A.N. Others
OF course the next Mayo senior manager could be somebody who is not among those already mentioned. Maybe there is somebody out there who has the ability, and a plan of action, that could be just what Mayo football needs. 
All will be revealed in due course.
In the meantime, you could always have a flutter on the likes of former Dublin manager Tommy Lyons (10/1), Kerry legend Paidí Ó Sé (16/1), Shrule/Glencorrib gaffer Kenny Mortimer (25/1), Mid West analyst Billy Fitzpatrick (33/1) or even Steve Staunton (50/1).

ALL the novelty odds listed above are courtesy of Stagg Betting, Ballindine. They are subject to change.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Barney on August 17, 2010, 02:00:07 PM
QuoteThe deadline for nominations for the Mayo senior manager's job is next Friday.  At the moment these men would seem to be on most people's short-list of candidates.

Mike Finnerty

John Maughan
THE man who has managed Mayo for two stints already 'kicked to touch' last week when asked by this writer if he was interested in going back to complete 'the hat-trick'.
The Crossmolina manager smiled as he said, "I love being involved in football, I love being involved in Crossmolina football, and that's my focus at the moment."
It certainly wasn't a denial of any interest in the Mayo job and there is no doubt that he has the self-belief, experience and knowledge of the local club scene that will be required by the next bainisteoir.
However, whether he and the Mayo GAA Board have the ability to work together for a third time remains to be seen. But stranger things have happened.
ODDS: 6/4

Mick O'Dwyer
THE former Kerry, Kildare, Laois and Wicklow manager has made no secret of his admiration for Mayo and its footballers down through the years.
Speculation suggests that contact was made with the Waterville hotelier in recent weeks by a Mayo GAA representative. However, he has also been sounded out by a cluster of other counties, including Galway and Laois.
It remains to be seen if he is really interested, or if Mayo really want him, but the issue of travelling from Waterville to Castlebar (a round-trip of 432 miles) three times a week will be a huge factor all concerned. After all, that's a lot of mileage — and diesel!
ODDS: 3/1

James Horan
THE Ballintubber manager enjoyed a sparkling inter-county playing career, winning two All-Stars, playing in three All-Ireland finals (including a replay) and earning three Connacht senior championship medals.
He has also taken well to club management; along with Tony Duffy he masterminded the Mayo Intermediate championship win in 2007 and Ballintubber are now a formidable force in the senior ranks.
Does he want the Mayo job? Like Ray Dempsey, Horan is an ambitious coach who is sure to have his sights set on the post at some point in the future. Is the timing right though, for him, or the power-brokers?
ODDS: 4/1

Peter Ford
THE Ballinrobe native is currently in his second year as Castlebar Mitchels manager and, by all accounts, is enjoying the role.
The team are going well, through to the quarter-finals of the club championship, and he has trusted lieutenant, Tommy O'Malley, alongside him in a very experienced management set-up.
The former Sligo and Galway boss has suggested in the past that he would like to manage the Mayo senior team. However, does he still want to? Do the powers-that-be want him? Or can they convince him that they want him?
He would be a popular choice but whether or not he wants to take on one of the most-demanding GAA jobs in the country is still unclear.
ODDS: 5/1

Noel Connelly
HE is the name on everybody's lips and if a number of internet polls are to be believed, the firm favourite among the Mayo supporters to get the job. Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately!) the County Board won't make their decision based on website opinion polls.
The former Mayo captain and U-21 joint manager has been linked with the senior job from the moment that John O'Mahony resigned. However, the Hollymount clubman has made no public comment yet on whether he is interested or not.
If he was to throw his hat in the ring, he would be a hard man to stop. However, the grapevine suggests that the time might not be right just yet to take on this sort of time-consuming role.

Denis Kearney
THE former Charlestown and Swinford clubman was a no-nonsense defender, and forward, in his day for club and county. That same pragmatic approach has also served him well in management so far as the results (and county titles) with Curry in Sligo and Castlerea in Roscommon will testify.
As a Mayo player, Kearney won Connacht championship medals in 1985, '88 and '89 so knows exactly what it takes to succeed on the battle-field.
He may not enjoy the high-profile of some of the other contenders for the job but nobody is more passionate and driven. The word is that he wants it, but can he persuade the interview panel?

Ray Dempsey
THE current Mayo U-21 manager may not have captured a Connacht championship title at the first attempt last spring but it certainly wasn't for the lack of trying.
He also made quite an impression during his stint as county minor manager, winning two Connacht titles and reaching two All-Ireland finals in the space of three years.
Does he want to manage the Mayo senior team? Like any ambitious young coach in the county, the answer is probably yes. But does he want to manage them next season? Only he knows the answer. And, more importantly, would he have the support of the decision-makers?
ODDS: 10/1

A.N. Others
OF course the next Mayo senior manager could be somebody who is not among those already mentioned. Maybe there is somebody out there who has the ability, and a plan of action, that could be just what Mayo football needs. 
All will be revealed in due course.
In the meantime, you could always have a flutter on the likes of former Dublin manager Tommy Lyons (10/1), Kerry legend Paidí Ó Sé (16/1), Shrule/Glencorrib gaffer Kenny Mortimer (25/1), Mid West analyst Billy Fitzpatrick (33/1) or even Steve Staunton (50/1).

ALL the novelty odds listed above are courtesy of Stagg Betting, Ballindine. They are subject to change.

Where's Davy Brady?

IolarCoisCuain

Tatler Jack

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 17, 2010, 06:53:34 PM
Denis Kearney. There's an interesting one...

Surprised he has not been mentioned very much up to now. If Mayo deciide (as they should) that they want somebody from the county then he should be in the shake up.

muppet

I would suggest and old head and an up and coming younger coach or two with him, assuming they would all agree to work together.

For example Peter Ford has inter-county experience, knows the club scene and could be the man to lead a team of say Colm Mc and James Horan or possibly Noel Kennelly or Ray Dempsey (although Id leave him where he is for another year or two till his minors have gone through U-21). If people felt a north Mayo man had to be part of the management then maybe Nallen or Brady could be part of it but my preference would be the Burrishoole man and the Tubberman.

Personally I wouldn't be interested in bringing someone in who mightn't have a clue of the club or under-age scenes.
MWWSI 2017

rosnarun

Steve Staunton (50/1).

that's a bit mean or do they know something
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Don t think a North man needs to be part of the package. Neither do I think a knowledge of the club scene or underage scene is vital either. Mind you if that happened it would be a first. Funny how the outsiders got the most complete panel onboard.

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on August 18, 2010, 11:34:25 PM
Steve Staunton (50/1).

that's a bit mean or do they know something

They know nothing. Not mean either just a bad sense of humour and a poor grasp of bookmaking practice. Scary thought now is that the board could appoint a similar gaffer. There appears to be one strong in the running.

Farrandeelin

From Hoganstand. Billy McNicholas isn't happy the coaching at underage is been blamed for the seniors failures.

QuoteMayo GAA games manager Billy McNicholas has launched a passionate defence of the coaching structures within the county.

The entire GAA landscape in Mayo was called into question after the county's senior footballers dismal championship performance this summer, crashing out of Connacht at the hands of Sligo before plummeting to defeat to Longford in the qualifiers.

Manager John O'Mahony stepped down in the immediate aftermath of the latter game while the County Board have pledged a root and branch review of the sport in the county.

But McNicholas, who has served as a coach in the Mayo development set-up since 1993 and been Games Manager of the past four years, insists that development coaching is not to blame for the shortcomings of the senior side.

In a wide-ranging interview with the Mayo News, he said, "[People were saying] things like 'What are we doing in terms of development structures?' Or, 'The players coming through aren't good enough.'

"In the last five years alone we've contested three All-Ireland minor finals ... We've won three Connacht minor championships in a row and four U-21 titles in a row. In each of those squads, 95% of the players have come through the Mayo development system. That's a huge amount."

He added, "People don't seem to be acknowledging the good work we're doing but are highlighting the negatives. They seem to be blaming the development structures for the failure of the Mayo senior team. That's totally wrong."

He might be right too you know.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 19, 2010, 06:14:21 PM

I just took a look at the article and I'd say he is damn well right.

(http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=134139)

Whatever problem or problems we currently have at senior level, the underage system seems to be producing a steady line of talented young players. Billy Mac and the others involved can't be faulted for what goes on after that.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

muppet

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 19, 2010, 08:09:16 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 19, 2010, 06:14:21 PM

I just took a look at the article and I'd say he is damn well right.

(http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=134139)

Whatever problem or problems we currently have at senior level, the underage system seems to be producing a steady line of talented young players. Billy Mac and the others involved can't be faulted for what goes on after that.

It is an oversimplification to blame under-age structures but equally it is an oversimplification to point to loads of Connacht titles as proof of getting it right. Is the objective to produce players capable of winning minor and U-21 titles or players who go on to become top class senior players?
MWWSI 2017

bucko

The big issue is why aren't more players being brought through from minor and U-21. Look at Cork's current squad, a good number of them played in the 2006 and 2007 U-21 AI Finals. I would say that Cork have successfuly brought through more players into their senior squad than we have. Too many good potential senior players seem to fall through the cracks here. Michael Conroy, Aidan Campbell, David Kilcullen are just a few examples. These guys showed promise but barely got any decent run when they were in the senior squad then were gone, whether it was their decision or management's is another issue, but was everything possible done to encourage and develop them?

saffronandblue

The underage structures are a pile of crap.  I have been teaching for years at secondary school level and in all that time I have seen the Mayo coaching staff coming in to the school on only a few occasions.  I don't see too many kids getting excited about what goes on at these development squad outings.  If anything it puts some kids off the idea of progressing their footballing careers as they take a knocking if they don't make the grade at under 15 level, when many will only be beginning to develop physically. 

There are only a small number of the same teachers who are training teams in the schools and the help they get is minimal.  Martin McGrath was the last decent coach that I have seen coming to the schools, he was enthusiastic and was ever present.  From what I can see, clubs train teams for about 3-4 months.  For the remainder it is down to the schools.  Any teacher will tell you that the first training session in September shows up the lack of training that takes place during the summer months.  Clubs need to do more at primary school level to get kids involved.  Even in Knockmore which is one of the larger clubs, the amount of kids available when you get to under 14 level up is extremely small. 

On a more positive note, Mr. Maughan, who is favourite to get the Mayo managers Job, will get the chance to look at Kevin O'Neill once more in action.  Maughan reckons that he was not up to intercounty standard.  Anyone who wants to know why he should never be allowed to manage Mayo again should come to see O'Neill V's Maughan on Saturday week.  Kevin is 10 years past his prime but he will still be the best forward on show in Mchale park next week........Not good enough....we shall see ;)

IolarCoisCuain

If players aren't coming through it can only be a coaching failure at senior level.

Bucko names three men there. There are other fellas on the senior team who looked like Great White Hopes when they came on the panel but have regressed over the two or three years they've been in the colours. How can that be happening?

Zulu was saying on another thread that the players aren't there. Moysider was saying that a football man would know a player at the end of a ten acre field. I've the height of time for both men but I think they're both wrong.

I think you can have talent but it can be lost or not fully utilised, and I think - and this only hurler on the ditch talk - that the talent is coming through from underage but it's not being used to its best advantage.

Austin O'Malley scored eight points for St Vincents in Dublin on Saturday night. Austin gets a lot of abuse on his board, and he's had some shockers in the colours. But was that Austin's fault, or is it because Austin was being asked to do stuff he's not built for, and not asked to do stuff he is?

I don't know. It'd be nice if this Mayo review asked that sort of question, about Austin and the other lads mentioned, and how we assess a player's worth in Mayo. I won't be holding me breath though.