Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

mayoman dan

A friend of mine plays with Ballina Stephenites and he reckons the county boys told him Micko is the front runner although they could be just taking the piss

Tubberman

Quote from: mayoman dan on August 12, 2010, 01:57:17 PM
A friend of mine plays with Ballina Stephenites and he reckons the county boys told him Micko is the front runner although they could be just taking the piss

I just listened to The Mayo News podcast and Mike Finnerty said that he has heard from people 'in the know' that there is definitely something behind the Micko rumour - either Mcko wants the Mayo job, or people in Mayo CB want Micko.

I can't believe people in a position of power (which logically should mean there is some football knowledge there  ::))  think that a 70-something year old is the answer to Mayo's problems. I used to think people constantly having a go at the co board were a bit inclined towards whinging about anything, but Christ Almighty, the past couple of years have been a complete shambles from the top down.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

I cannot believe that Micko is actually doing a rumour! :o Why he thinks he could do the job is beyond me, it's not little Wicklow now, it's a county where we expect to be top of the pile and it's a poisoned chalice if you get it wrong.

Maybe the people are been given who they want afterall (not me mind you) but the ones who voted for him on MWR ::). Maybe the County board are 'listening to the fans' now. Honestly, if Micko does get the job, there's something rotten in the state of Mayo football. :-\
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

What can't Mayo have a reality show on the telly to choose the new manager ?   

Farrandeelin

Maybe it's just come across wrong and Micko is doing the review!?

IolarCoisCuain

I have a theory on why Micko is in the running, if he is in the running and it's not all blather. I've no evidence for this, but it's based more on what Jeeves used call the psychology of the individual in the PG Wodehouse books.

My guess is that those members of the County Board that want Micko as manager want him because he'll run the bollix off the players over the winter. I would say that a lot of the Board think the players need to be punished for letting them down and Micko is just the boy to soften their coughs.

That's a very cynical interpretation on my part of course. But dammit, I wouldn't be one bit surprised if that's what they were thinking. These aren't fellas that do big picture thinking. These are score-settlers and cough-softeners. We're doomed.

JMohan

Micko would be perfect for Mayo.

What's all the anti-Micko feeling for?
Is Micko not good enough for Mayo people?
Just because the man allegedly know's his worth? Screw that - he'd give 100% and I'd say be far better option than 90% of the other names mentioned here.

He'd produce a fit focused single minded team with everyone playing for the one cause ... it's been a while since you've had that!

Farrandeelin

QuoteWhat's all the anti-Micko feeling for?

Firstly it would all be about him. Secondly next year will be the 25th anniversary of his last All-Ireland win.

Zulu

I wouldn't agree with JM. IMO the most important thing Micko brought to the teams he managed recently was getting the players who probably wouldn't have played out onto the pitch. Mayo don't have the problem of the best players not making themselves available, their problems are far more complex and I think they need a football thinker and a man well versed with modern tactics rather than a cajoler.

JMohan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 13, 2010, 03:05:01 PM
QuoteWhat's all the anti-Micko feeling for?

Firstly it would all be about him. Secondly next year will be the 25th anniversary of his last All-Ireland win.

The two most stupid reasons not take a manager on!

It should be about him!
He's had so many All Ireland medals he could probably give each of the backs one. If he's not the boss and it's not all about him - who will it be about? The players? losing the run of themselves?

As for his 25th Anniversary - How many did he win since????
Who else have you beating down your door that has seen an All Ireland since?

JMohan

Quote from: Zulu on August 13, 2010, 03:08:42 PM
I wouldn't agree with JM. IMO the most important thing Micko brought to the teams he managed recently was getting the players who probably wouldn't have played out onto the pitch. Mayo don't have the problem of the best players not making themselves available, their problems are far more complex and I think they need a football thinker and a man well versed with modern tactics rather than a cajoler.

Disagree.
Mickey Moran and John Morrison two thinkers.
John O'Mahony isn't a slouch in that department either.

In Mayo you'd had too many men reading the map and thinking and no one driving the bus.

Mayo need to keep the message simple, get everyone playing for one cause and not for themselves.
Micko is a better option than any other name I've heard mentioned.

Is he the best manager in Ireland - no way. Is he the best manager for Mayo. Certainly.

Zulu

QuoteIs he the best manager for Mayo. Certainly.

Why? What does he bring that others can't? I agree that most of the men mentioned aren't great but I don't see anything about Micko that would have me picking up the phone if I were in charge.

QuoteMickey Moran and John Morrison two thinkers.

And got them to an AI in thier only year in charge.

QuoteMayo need to keep the message simple, get everyone playing for one cause and not for themselves.

I'm not saying you need to reinvent the wheel but what does Micko know about the talent  in Mayo, he doesn't strike me as the kind of manager that will evaluate the players he has and develop a style to suit them. Like I said, in Wicklow he got the best players playing and he had a few blow ins in Kildare and Laois, not to mention some excellent local playersand he managed one AI appearence between them. Not exactly a stellar record and I see nothing in his recent history to suggest he would bring Mayo any further than JOM did.

JMohan

I'm not saying Micko is the best in Ireland.
He's better than anyone else mentioned.

You brought up the M&M's. Everyone knows that Brady and Co. were driving that far more than the management were, so don't try and tell me they were the reason for them getting to an AI. And they're not available so it's a mute point.

Micko turned poor counties around in Laois, Kildare and Wicklow and gave them more success than anyone else could have done, by keeping things simple and leading them. Mayo are different in that they have some decent footballers but no leadership. They, players, management and CB are like hens in a storm.

Mayo need a strong leader to refocus them and get them playing simple straightforward football.
There's no one else I've seen named better suited than Micko.

Zulu

QuoteI'm not saying Micko is the best in Ireland.

You said that already and I agreed that the candidates mentioned aren't great but neither is Micko.

QuoteYou brought up the M&M's.

No I didn't, you did.

QuoteEveryone knows that Brady and Co. were driving that far more than the management were, so don't try and tell me they were the reason for them getting to an AI. And they're not available so it's a mute point.

I didn't hear that and I never said they should be reappointed so I don't see what their availability has to do with anything.

QuoteMicko turned poor counties around in Laois, Kildare and Wicklow and gave them more success than anyone else could have done

Laois and Kildare weren't poor counties when her took them over and had a lot of very good young players coming through, so I don't know how youi can claim he did a better job than anyone else would have done. One Leinster title with Laois considering their underage success isn't a brilliant achievement.

QuoteMayo need a strong leader to refocus them and get them playing simple straightforward football.

A simplistic analysis IMO. They need far more than getting them to play simple football. Whatever that is.

muppet

Quote from: JMohan on August 13, 2010, 03:41:55 PM
I'm not saying Micko is the best in Ireland.

You brought up the M&M's. Everyone knows that Brady and Co. were driving that far more than the management were, so don't try and tell me they were the reason for them getting to an AI. And they're not available so it's a mute point.

Micko turned poor counties around in Laois, Kildare and Wicklow and gave them more success than anyone else could have done, by keeping things simple and leading them. Mayo are different in that they have some decent footballers but no leadership. They, players, management and CB are like hens in a storm.

Mayo need a strong leader to refocus them and get them playing simple straightforward football.

We understand that you love Micko. Fair enough.

If he gets the job I'll be giving him every chance but he is not the solution to our problems in my opinion. Our players can compete with any team on any given day. They have been doing that underage and at senior for years. Our problem is putting a full season together, believing that we can do it and then actually going on and delivering.
MWWSI 2017