Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

Beard

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 04, 2010, 11:19:07 PM
Just a thought - if Colm Coyle's hail mary garryowen had hopped into John Madden's arms in 1996 would a 'bronze' (excuse the pun!) statue of John Maughan now stand in the middle of Castlebar?

It really is a game of inches.

Here's another thought - if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

paddypastit

Sources directly from his own court tell me that 'Mayo are nosing around Micko'
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Barney

Great musings Beard!

QuoteSources directly from his own court tell me that 'Mayo are nosing around Micko'

I would be shocked if Micko was the new manager. Personally I would be totally opposed to it and i don't think any supporter here would see him as the answer.

We need somebody with a long-term plan, and committed for a number of years. There is no quick solution. This is a crucial juncture. There are very good young players that can be moulded into a successful team. Unfortunately there are no great leaders to help them over the bumps on the journey, nor are there stand-out likely superstars, more lads who will be all at a similar good level.

Of course we have to think about the county finances in paying for a stadium expansion!

Anyway for divilment I have included a poll.

saffronandblue

Hi Barney,

Any chance you could add the names of Pete McGrath, Peter Canavan or Sean Boylan to the vote.....they all come from a winning background :) :)

Farrandeelin

Quote from: saffronandblue on August 04, 2010, 10:46:18 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 04, 2010, 08:23:40 PM
It's a measure of how worried people are that a friend of mine from Knockmore told me he'd like to see Maughan come back (well, he said Maughan wouldn't be the worst, which is as near as a Knockmore man could go about Maughan). It shows you though - there's blind terror out there about who'll take over next. There's serious talent coming through at minor and Under-21 - will we make the most of it or will we let it rot?

The Ballymagash meeting doesn't fill me with hope.

I don't think there is a Knockmore man alive who would want the tanned one back after his treatment of Kevin O'Neill, Peter Butler, Kevin Staunton and Declan Sweeney when they were in their prime.  They may not have been up to Tom Reilly standard but they were not far off.  I remember watching Knockmore playing Crossmolina in Castlebar last year.....O'Neill beat them on his own and maybe only Maughan who was prancing on the sideline might have thought that he was not good enough.  Will he have learned from previous mistakes......does a leopard change his spots.....but at least it keeps the Fine Gael boys happy in the county board. 

This is only a gripe from one fan from one club, Id say that people could name a good few other players from a variety of clubs who were treated poorly by the same man.

Maybe someone could select a Mayo team of players that Maughan did not use enough of?

Don't think you're the only man from Knockmore GAA club to have these anti-Maughan feelings. Not going to select teams but certainly that Knockmore team of 96/97 was as good as any, unfortunately they met a great Crossmaglen team.

To be honest, whoever ends up managing Mayo will not win anything major. But he needs to see that there is a plan for the next few years and Mayo football can be pulling in the right direction once again.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

bucko

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 05, 2010, 12:51:36 PM
It's a measure of how worried people are that a friend of mine from Knockmore told me he'd like to see Maughan come back (well, he said Maughan wouldn't be the worst, which is as near as a Knockmore man could go about Maughan). It shows you though - there's blind terror out there about who'll take over next. There's serious talent coming through at minor and Under-21 - will we make the most of it or will we let it rot?

I don't think there is a Knockmore man alive who would want the tanned one back after his treatment of Kevin O'Neill, Peter Butler, Kevin Staunton and Declan Sweeney when they were in their prime.  They may not have been up to Tom Reilly standard but they were not far off.  I remember watching Knockmore playing Crossmolina in Castlebar last year.....O'Neill beat them on his own and maybe only Maughan who was prancing on the sideline might have thought that he was not good enough.  Will he have learned from previous mistakes......does a leopard change his spots.....but at least it keeps the Fine Gael boys happy in the county board. 

This is only a gripe from one fan from one club, Id say that people could name a good few other players from a variety of clubs who were treated poorly by the same man.

Maybe someone could select a Mayo team of players that Maughan did not use enough of?

Don't think you're the only man from Knockmore GAA club to have these anti-Maughan feelings. Not going to select teams but certainly that Knockmore team of 96/97 was as good as any, unfortunately they met a great Crossmaglen team.

To be honest, whoever ends up managing Mayo will not win anything major. But he needs to see that there is a plan for the next few years and Mayo football can be pulling in the right direction once again.
The new guy, whoever he is, has to have his own plan too. You can't help but be impressed by what McGeeney has done with Kildare and how he has them playing. Would anyone here say that Kildare have a better pick of talent than we do? Ditto Gilroy in Dublin, he tore the house down and started with a new plan. It was a big risk and they stuttered initially but seems to be paying off now. What they both have in common is they were fairly new to management, no significant experience behind them, but both have recognised how the game has to be played nowadays and have planned, trained and selected accordingly. Out of the candidates linked with the Mayo job, are there any of them who would adopt a similar approach?

Zapatista

Quote from: bucko on August 05, 2010, 01:58:54 PM
Would anyone here say that Kildare have a better pick of talent than we do? Ditto Gilroy in Dublin,

Judging by this year I would have to say Yes.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: bucko on August 05, 2010, 01:58:54 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 05, 2010, 12:51:36 PM

The new guy, whoever he is, has to have his own plan too. You can't help but be impressed by what McGeeney has done with Kildare and how he has them playing. Would anyone here say that Kildare have a better pick of talent than we do? Ditto Gilroy in Dublin, he tore the house down and started with a new plan. It was a big risk and they stuttered initially but seems to be paying off now. What they both have in common is they were fairly new to management, no significant experience behind them, but both have recognised how the game has to be played nowadays and have planned, trained and selected accordingly. Out of the candidates linked with the Mayo job, are there any of them who would adopt a similar approach?

Spot on. Another man i was impressed with over the last couple of years is Mickey Ned o Sullivan with Limerick, limited players but no end to the drive, hunger and deisre, exactly what we are lacking.I met him at a wedding a couple of weeks ago and was overall a decent sort. I am wondering is there any appetite within clubs for a new CB before any manager is appointed, because my fear regardless who the manager is the same old shit will go on.

Hedley Lamarr

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

Zulu

QuoteAnother man i was impressed with over the last couple of years is Mickey Ned o Sullivan with Limerick, limited players but no end to the drive, hunger and deisre, exactly what we are lacking

Mickey Ned isn't rated in Limerick so I wouldn't recommend him for Mayo, the Limerick coach Donie Buckley is the main man in that set up.

If Mayo have any hope of reaching the promised land then I hope the six votes for David Brady were spoiled votes from non-Mayo posters having a laugh. If anyone from Mayo thinks that Brady should be the next Mayo manager they should have their head examined. By the way I think there should be a none of the above option on that poll as that's the only sensible vote.

moysider

Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2010, 06:14:44 PM
QuoteAnother man i was impressed with over the last couple of years is Mickey Ned o Sullivan with Limerick, limited players but no end to the drive, hunger and deisre, exactly what we are lacking

Mickey Ned isn't rated in Limerick so I wouldn't recommend him for Mayo, the Limerick coach Donie Buckley is the main man in that set up.

If Mayo have any hope of reaching the promised land then I hope the six votes for David Brady were spoiled votes from non-Mayo posters having a laugh. If anyone from Mayo thinks that Brady should be the next Mayo manager they should have their head examined. By the way I think there should be a none of the above option on that poll as that's the only sensible vote.

I was thinking the same way myself.

ross4life

Quote from: Hedley Lamarr on August 05, 2010, 05:38:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=barLaHrtvoM

Keep the faith ;)

That was played in copper face jacks Sunday night, it made me feel a little better  :-\

Was wondering about David Brady also, anyways i voted Dempsey  ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ballinaman

Quote from: ross4life on August 05, 2010, 09:47:48 PM
Quote from: Hedley Lamarr on August 05, 2010, 05:38:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=barLaHrtvoM

Keep the faith ;)

That was played in copper face jacks Sunday night, it made me feel a little better  :-\

Was wondering about David Brady also, anyways i voted Dempsey   ;)
As did i.....i feel dirty...

bit much for DB to step straight into intercounty management.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2010, 06:14:44 PM

yeah can't believe db's name keeps coming up
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Barney

Yeah I wouldn't be in favour of DB getting the job. I just put the names that have been mentioned in the list. I guess one of that list is going to be appointed. Could not see a Canavan or Boylan getting the job or even being considered.

Sadly with the antics of the County Board we are in a very dark place and whoever does take it on may have a poisoned chalice because the support that they will need to improve matters does not look like it will be forthcoming.