Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

Zulu

Prior to last weekend I would have defended JOM to the hilt, not because I thought he was doing a brilliant job but because I thought the criticism of him wasn't taking into account the mediocrity of many of the players. I still think that is the case, although he has to carry much of the blame for a performance that was as bad as I can recall any team producing.

I think he should go at the end of the year because whatever he is doing is not working but I think Mayo folk should cast a more critical eye over their players. The next man in won't improve things hugely IMO because Mayo are leaden down with average IC footballers and no stars.

Mayo should be doing better than they are but they are in that bracket of 8-10 teams that could be ranked as high as 4th in Ireland or as low as 14th depending on form and the draw. I don't think any manager will change that reality, this Mayo squad are not better than at least another 8 teams in the country and are worse than Cork, Kerry and Tyrone.

The most surprising thing for me is taht Mayo haven't produced a really top class scoring full forward in a long long time. Even Tipp (Declan Brown), Wexford (Matty Forde) and Limerick (Ian Ryan) have produced at least one star scoring forward more recently than Mayo.

Mac2

Long time since I posted here, though I do recall a post being totally against Johnno getting the job but few on the board agreed, funnily one that did was from Sligo, Magpie Seanie. I genuinely believe that what has happened with Mayo football is nothing short of scandalous yet few in the county including a compliant press had the balls to call Johnno's appointment as it was, a political stroke. Eugene McGee all but suggested that Mayo people had a nerve to question him after poor fare in 2007/08. Martin Carney is another who springs to mind that'll defend O'Mahony to the last, to paraphrase"This Mayo team is more functional now not reliant on big stars everyone playing for the team". Yeah big stars like MacDonald who were treated disgracefully by O'Mahony for that alone he should have got the boot. Aidan O'Shea is another, imagine bringing a lad over to NY and him facing into a Leaving Cert, look at him now all confidence gone almost a bit player.  Here we are in 2010 and who should enter stage left only Billy Joe licking his paws looking around in amazement that he suddenly finds himself in the thick of things after being absent all year, booker prize stuff. There was a time when you'd leave Mayo games after a defeat bitterly disappointed now it's just anger at the charade being perpetrated. Am sick to my hole of all the rubbish about how we have a top psychologist working with the team, Olympic fitness coaches and what have you, players giving endless interviews about the setup being different this year, it's all guff. Can you imagine if Jack O'Connor went to Cork & won 2 All-Irelands with them. Do you think Kerry would allow him to even cross the border? You have to do things for the right reason and it's clear that Johnno thought he could manage Mayo by ticking a few boxes on a planner, no passion, no guts & no real commitment to the job. And no Johnno we don't want you to put your hands up for the last 60 years but for chrisakkes get them up now for the last 4 and march quickly towards the exit.

Chimley

Quote from: muppet on June 08, 2010, 11:15:48 PM

Many felt there were only 2 maybe 3 forwards with IC potential on that team. Kilcoyne and Ronaldson (who probably wasn't one of those tipped for the future) are the only ones still around. As for the backs on that team 5 of the 6 are still on the panel and I think the other one played last year.

Midfield was Barry Moran and SOS.

Morale, game plan and the middle 8 players are most of our problems in that order.

These were the teams that started that day:

CORK: K O'Halloran; R Carey, C Murphy, S O'Donoghue; D Limerick, M Shields, E Cadogan; A O'Connor, P Kelly; F Gould, C Keane, P Kerrigan (capt); D Goulding, P O'Flynn, J Hayes.

Subs used: G O'Shea for Hayes (44 mins), F Lynch for Kelly (52)

MAYO: K O'Malley; T Howley, G Cafferkey, K Higgins (capt); C Barrett, T Cunniffe, C Boyle; S O'Shea, B Moran; A Campbell, J Dillon, A Kilcoyne; M Ronaldson, M Hannick, M Conroy

If they played now I would bet my life that Cork would hammer us.

This is the real indictment of JOM and the county board in my opinion. If you analyse that Mayo team we had 6 players on that team including full-back, centre-back and a midfielder who were all just one year out of minor. If these players were already at that standard at 19 years of age, then with even average coaching they should have emerged as top IC players.

joemamas

Quote from: Mac2 on June 11, 2010, 10:15:42 PM
Long time since I posted here, though I do recall a post being totally against Johnno getting the job but few on the board agreed, funnily one that did was from Sligo, Magpie Seanie. I genuinely believe that what has happened with Mayo football is nothing short of scandalous yet few in the county including a compliant press had the balls to call Johnno's appointment as it was, a political stroke. Eugene McGee all but suggested that Mayo people had a nerve to question him after poor fare in 2007/08. Martin Carney is another who springs to mind that'll defend O'Mahony to the last, to paraphrase"This Mayo team is more functional now not reliant on big stars everyone playing for the team". Yeah big stars like MacDonald who were treated disgracefully by O'Mahony for that alone he should have got the boot. Aidan O'Shea is another, imagine bringing a lad over to NY and him facing into a Leaving Cert, look at him now all confidence gone almost a bit player.  Here we are in 2010 and who should enter stage left only Billy Joe licking his paws looking around in amazement that he suddenly finds himself in the thick of things after being absent all year, booker prize stuff. There was a time when you'd leave Mayo games after a defeat bitterly disappointed now it's just anger at the charade being perpetrated. Am sick to my hole of all the rubbish about how we have a top psychologist working with the team, Olympic fitness coaches and what have you, players giving endless interviews about the setup being different this year, it's all guff. Can you imagine if Jack O'Connor went to Cork & won 2 All-Irelands with them. Do you think Kerry would allow him to even cross the border? You have to do things for the right reason and it's clear that Johnno thought he could manage Mayo by ticking a few boxes on a planner, no passion, no guts & no real commitment to the job. And no Johnno we don't want you to put your hands up for the last 60 years but for chrisakkes get them up now for the last 4 and march quickly towards the exit.

Well written post, hard to argue

moysider

Spot on.

rosnarun

mAC2
think your memory is a wee bit faulty . the mayo posters here were very divided about JOM taking over. ihes fecking around for the 2 years before that exposed the man for the charlatan that his is /or has become.
I reject the notion we dont have the players to get past the loke of sligo.
Manfor man after cork and kerry mayo have as good a bunch of players as there is in the country managed properly and far better than most . but the right guys have to be in the right positons and properly motivated. it is hard to see how that can be achieved under o mahony bit i still hold out the hope that they can acheive  abit of momentum this summer despite him.
As for the draw e should be praying for a real soft one just so they can find their feet again. although after losing to sligo who are you left with waterford? Clare? carlow?.
And I sincerely hope the players have a little bit more bottle anf fight that tthe lily livered posters on these page who have thrown in the towel ages ago.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Ludraman

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

JMohan

I'd agree with that post.

Mayo people were conned by JOM.
His eye isn't on the ball - he hasn't the time to do two jobs - and he's tried to fool you talking about all this other nonsense.

My question is who do you replace him with?
Who does the SOS go out to?

myball22

If Richard Bruton replaces Enda Kenny so there is now no chance of a Mayo Taoiseach, what are the chances that Johnno will be returned? I can't see it happening, he is going to have to work like crazy over the next two years to be re-elected and where does that leave the senior team.

Only winning Sam could retain his seat I would say!!!

RogerMilla

Quote from: myball22 on June 14, 2010, 03:45:52 PM

If Richard Bruton replaces Enda Kenny so there is now no chance of a Mayo Taoiseach, what are the chances that Johnno will be returned? I can't see it happening, he is going to have to work like crazy over the next two years to be re-elected and where does that leave the senior team.

look at enda kenny , winning sam would keep johhno and all his progeny in a seat for perpetuity

Ludraman

Quote from: RogerMilla on June 14, 2010, 04:00:14 PM
Quote from: myball22 on June 14, 2010, 03:45:52 PM

look at enda kenny , winning sam would keep johhno and all his progeny in a seat for perpetuity

edna didnt win sam.....he jus lost his dick.

armaghniac

If Mayo win Sam, Johnno can set up in Knock and people will flock to see him.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Foreverhopeful

We need a management structure involving the straight talking David Brady as selector. He'll bring pride and passion and won't tolerate bullshit. David Heaney/James Nallen should be considered also as selectors. They are up to date with modern day tactics in football. JOM has no clue anymore. He had no Plan B after O'Hara sat in front of freeman. For a management not to get the message to the players to stop playing that ball was embarrassing. That was our only plan. Noel Connelly and James Horan would come into the mix aswell. These players are well respected but were all clever on the pitch. We need new blood. I don't know what our current selectors contribute to the team.
Sligo have 4 recently retired footballers over them and they had the tactics right the last day -it was no coincidence. Football has changed and JOM is outdated.

Zulu

Being an ex-player is no guarantee that you'll be a good manager or selector. None of the players you have mentioned have any managerial experience and it would be madness to involve anymore than one of them in any future management set up. I'd be more inclined to look at managers involved at club level in Mayo for the past few years, they'd have a much better idea of the abilities of most Mayo footballers than a recently retired IC player.