Unsavoury langauge at GAA games.

Started by mournerambler, June 01, 2010, 09:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

The Yiddish idea opens up new angles of potential alright.

"Bloody Rossie activists"

"Galvin ya dirty Commando"

"It was pre-emtpive self-defence ref"

MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Olly on June 02, 2010, 10:48:46 AM
At last someone starts a thread that addresses the ills if society in a positive manner. I have many ideas and this is one:

Number One: Have a swearing stand. If anyone wants to swear or feels that they might swear or maybe has just had a bad day, they go to that section of the pitch or stadium. If it's Croke Park it could be the Nelly Stand or the Upper Tier at the Canal End. In order to make people swear less, they should make that area unpleasant. i.e. don't pick up the litter from the previous week and have hardcore police with dogs patrolling it with wire fences put up around it. Even if it's a big county of swearers like Dublin, Tyrone, Armagh or Leitrim you could have a helicopter hovering over it or just a small plane. But I would rename the stand not to besmirk the great people like Nelly or Canal or Hogan or Cusack.

The swearers could swear and abuse all they want, jumping up and down like animals. I'd imagine that people will want to be clean mouthed when they see that. If someone in the other three stands or parts of the ground swear, they are immediately pounced upon by the yellow coats and trailed to the swearing stand. Whatever happens in there is their fault, if they're beaten up or groped or something.

The players would know not to go near them or even recognise them after the game. The TV cameras would refuse to show them.

Ah now, been a Mayo man in Croke Park, I'd be permanently in the swearing stand so! :-\
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lawrence of Knockbride

I agree with the Wobbler by and large. Who exactly dictates what qualifies as poor language? I think we should draw a definite line between abusing players, officials or anyone for that matter and using "bad language". What's the difference in telling the ref that his last decision was f**king shite or that it was incorrect in my opinion. Kids will pick up language before they're 18. They can choose what the want/don't want to say and if they're not abusing anyone then what harm. Some people feel a lot better after exclaiming "f**k" than "feck" and I think there's nothing wrong with it.
Similarly if someone tells a ref he's a disgrace and not fit to do the job he should get the same punishment to the lad that calls a ref a useless p***k. The irony of it all is that the MOD will most likely censor most of my post cos he was brought up being told that certain words are bold. And how the f**k did the word **** become the worst of all words. I must have missed that meeting.

pintsofguinness

Who decided these words were "bad words"? That's what I want to know. They're only words, nothing to be offended about.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 02, 2010, 08:14:42 PM
Who decided these words were "bad words"? That's what I want to know. They're only words, nothing to be offended about.
OMG agreement with POG. You must the on the smoke. :P

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on June 02, 2010, 08:16:13 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 02, 2010, 08:14:42 PM
OMG agreement with POG. You must the on the smoke. :P
Nah, I'm just a fan of cursing.

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ziggysego

Cursing is a legitimate form of expressing one's emotions in the heat of the moment. Cursing for the sake of curse is another matter.
Testing Accessibility

rosnarun

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on June 02, 2010, 08:09:20 PM
I agree with the Wobbler by and large. Who exactly dictates what qualifies as poor language? I think we should draw a definite line between abusing players, officials or anyone for that matter and using "bad language". What's the difference in telling the ref that his last decision was f**king shite or that it was incorrect in my opinion. Kids will pick up language before they're 18. They can choose what the want/don't want to say and if they're not abusing anyone then what harm. Some people feel a lot better after exclaiming "f**k" than "feck" and I think there's nothing wrong with it.
Similarly if someone tells a ref he's a disgrace and not fit to do the job he should get the same punishment to the lad that calls a ref a useless p***k. The irony of it all is that the MOD will most likely censor most of my post cos he was brought up being told that certain words are bold. And how the f**k did the word **** become the worst of all words. I must have missed that meeting.
you dont think there is any difference between,
' i dont agree with you' and
'You so f**king wrong'
just imagine a twn year old saying them to your mother
the difference is a modicum of respect that refs are entitled to .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: rosnarun on June 02, 2010, 09:00:17 PM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on June 02, 2010, 08:09:20 PM
you dont think there is any difference between,
' i dont agree with you' and
'You so f**king wrong'
just imagine a twn year old saying them to your mother
the difference is a modicum of respect that refs are entitled to .
That's correct, I don't and I can't see how a ref could get offended by your example. I can't imagine a ten year old saying it to his/her mother as it's so rare in modern society. This doesn't make it wrong.
Quote from: ziggysego on June 02, 2010, 08:32:18 PM
Cursing is a legitimate form of expressing one's emotions in the heat of the moment. Cursing for the sake of curse is another matter.
I agree Ziggy. But going around secking feck this and flip that to avoid swearing is also as silly.

theskull1

No such thing as bad language, just the bad use of language

The things some people come out with at matches is cringable at times. It just exposes them as the half wits that they are. Too many run with the pack in tight communities and stay in silience rather than stand up to behaviour with is unacceptable because that is exactly what it is...unacceptable
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: dundrumite on June 01, 2010, 10:53:13 PM
As a regular attender of both GAA and Rugby I can see a world of difference in the games as a whole.
In Gaelic, Players on the field curse and abuse referees, managers along the line curse and abuse referees,  and supporters curse and gulder at everyone.
This in direct comparassion to rugby games I have attended, where players have greater discipline and respect for the men in black, managers and supporters in general, also seem to show a greater verbal restraint.
As thewobbler pointed out, kids do curse but if they see adults verbally abusing others in a care free manner at a match, they will see this as acceptable behaviour and continue to spread what is IMO a cancer in our sport.
Maybe I am being part of a "nanny state" but a repsect for all ethos has to be pushed in our games. This has to start on the field and along the line as the GAA has more control over players and mentors, than it does have off those who attend matches.
Granted slips of the tongues do occur in moments of frustration and is part and parcel of sport, but those who persistently are seen to be at this need to be drawn into line.
::) if thats a cancer to our sport, the gaa is doing alright then. bloody hell.

curses are just words, everyone uses them, who cares.
are some of you people who get up and turn off the telly when theres "bad language"?

mournerambler

Quote from: The Forfeit Point on June 03, 2010, 01:41:19 PM
As a regular attender of both GAA and Rugby I can see a world of difference in the games as a whole.
In Gaelic, Players on the field curse and abuse referees, managers along the line curse and abuse referees,  and supporters curse and gulder at everyone.
This in direct comparassion to rugby games I have attended, where players have greater discipline and respect for the men in black, managers and supporters in general, also seem to show a greater verbal restraint.
As thewobbler pointed out, kids do curse but if they see adults verbally abusing others in a care free manner at a match, they will see this as acceptable behaviour and continue to spread what is IMO a cancer in our sport.
Maybe I am being part of a "nanny state" but a repsect for all ethos has to be pushed in our games. This has to start on the field and along the line as the GAA has more control over players and mentors, than it does have off those who attend matches.
Granted slips of the tongues do occur in moments of frustration and is part and parcel of sport, but those who persistently are seen to be at this need to be drawn into line.

are some of you people who get up and turn off the telly when theres "bad language"?

In answer to your question, yes I would turn the TV off if there was bad language being used & my kids were in the room, i'm no prude, nor am I in any way good living or a snob either but kids SHOULD not have to listen to the abuse that some people use at GAA matches.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

While I never have a go at opposing players or my own team (except if they have blatently taken a sledgehammer to the face of another player and there tends to be thousands of others in agreement) I do curse quite a bit at matchs, its not directed at anyone but its a general non-specific "a fcccccccckkkkkkk", "snarl sound", "for feck sake", "a Jaysus", and the odd time "cuntish" - I'm sorry but that word seems very common in Mayo and Roscommon (I'm sure a rake of Mayo and Rossie lads will be on now to disagree).

I don't shout abuse but I develop a type of physical (face grimaces and minor spasms) and hitting myself with my programme (sometimes chewing on it too) and verbal turrets, it appears to be at its worst in late August or September. Followed by bouts of manic depression and shoulder shrugging.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Farrandeelin

The midges were cuntish the other day at minor training.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: mournerambler on June 03, 2010, 03:47:15 PM
Quote from: The Forfeit Point on June 03, 2010, 01:41:19 PM

In answer to your question, yes I would turn the TV off if there was bad language being used & my kids were in the room, i'm no prude, nor am I in any way good living or a snob either but kids SHOULD not have to listen to the abuse that some people use at GAA matches.
Again, can we not draw a definite line between abuse and the use of certain words. What harm if your kids use these words if the situation arises?