Unsavoury langauge at GAA games.

Started by mournerambler, June 01, 2010, 09:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Pangurban

Would like to commend mournerambler for raising this topic. Not enough is being done to stomp out this vile objectionable behaviour. Many clubs are putting in an effort, especially at juvenile level, but are being undermined by illiterate scum, who despite having attained adulthood are incapable of uttering two words without swearing.

Pangurban

Typical response, but then, what you can expect from a Pig but a grunt

ziggysego

A new UK study found that swearing appeared to lessen the effects of pain, perhaps because it invokes a similar response as that which occurs in fight or flight when it breaks the link between fear of pain and the perception of pain, concluded the researchers.

The study was the work of psychologists Richard Stephens, John Atkins and Andrew Kingston at Keele University in Staffordshire, and was recently published in the journal NeuroReport.

Although swearing is a common response to pain, whether it actually alters our experience of it is somewhat of a mystery.

According to a Reuters news agency report, Stephens said:

"Swearing has been around for centuries and is an almost universal human linguistic phenomenon."

"Our research shows one potential reason why swearing developed and why it persists," he added.

Stephens said it appears to arise in the right brain, whereas most language tends to arise in the left cerebral hemisphere.

For this study, the researchers investigated the extent to which swearing altered the ability of 64 volunteers to withstand immersing their hand in water (cold-pressor pain tolerance). They also measured pain perception and heart rate.

The researchers asked the volunteers to repeat a swear word while they immersed their hand in water. And then they asked them do the experiment again, except this time they repeated a neutral word that described a table.

Stephens and colleagues also examined sex differences, the role of pain catastrophizing, fear of pain and trait anxiety.

They found that compared with not swearing, swearing increased pain tolerance and heart rate, and decreased perception of pain.

However, "swearing did not increase pain tolerance in males with a tendency to catastrophise," they wrote.

They concluded that:

"The observed pain-lessening (hypoalgesic) effect may occur because swearing induces a fight-or-flight response and nullifies the link between fear of pain and pain perception."

Stephens told the press that while they did not establish the link with fight or flight, they think perhaps swearing increases aggression.

"What is clear is that swearing triggers not only an emotional response, but a physical one too", he added, explaining that perhaps this is why the practice of swearing has survived for centuries.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/157725.php
Testing Accessibility

muppet

I don't mind the odd exclamation at a critical time such as when your team's peroxide permatan blasts wide in the last minute.

I do object to the idiots who shout a constant stream of foul mouthed abuse, usually at some legend who isn't even playing, or retired years ago, or even during the minor match not realising the difference.
MWWSI 2017

Puckoon

Quote from: Orior on June 01, 2010, 11:11:09 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 01, 2010, 10:28:29 PM
More nanny state type of nonsense if you ask me.

Kids curse. They don't learn to curse because of Gaelic Games, but because there are c***ts, b**tards and f**kers everywhere.

You'll be asking for a deck of the rosary at half time next.

I'm afraid to say this wobbler, but feck, I'll say it anyway. Kids that curse are more likely to come from a certain socio-economic group. Compare the playgorund language of kids in Derrybeg with that of Harmoney Heights. Its a world of difference. Yes, there are exceptions to prove the rule, but its a general rule.

Personally, I dont curse, and dont feel I need to when I want to argue my point.

Quote from: Pangurban on June 02, 2010, 12:50:51 AM
Would like to commend mournerambler for raising this topic. Not enough is being done to stomp out this vile objectionable behaviour. Many clubs are putting in an effort, especially at juvenile level, but are being undermined by illiterate scum, who despite having attained adulthood are incapable of uttering two words without swearing.

Steady on there Lord Pangurban.

I know lots of adults who curse (and by curse I mean every sentence has a couple of swear filler words that add nothing to the sentence) - and it is very much from what I can tell an Irish trait - and it isnt confined to within low socio-economic status, nor to illiterate scum as the pious (puckin p***k) pangurban pretentiously pontificates. Some people arent very good/comfortable at expressing themselves. I've a friend over here from lisburn (await the jokes) and he's about to graduate with a Doctoral degree and has won more public speaking awards than you can imagine - but when he talks normally his speech is full of filler fucks and fucks and fucks.

It definitely needs to be stamped out at sporting events however. Rail road those illiterate scum eh pangurban?

Turlough O Carolan

In fairness swearing is part of the radical heritage and proud tradition of the GAA and any attempts to curb it would represent linguistic imperialism by the Queen's English, something that should make the blood boil in every Fiorgael. Not denying there's a bad language problem that perhaps Congress should take a look at but I think much of it is due to the fact that supporters use the same, tired old curse words all the time. In fairness there's a bit too much "c@nt of a ref", "the fuckin ape missed it" and "the dirty, filthy b**tard kneed him in the back". Why not broaden our swearing horizons. There's plenty of great foul language we could borrow from other other cultures, such as Yiddish for example. Instead of saying, "the ref is a p***k", why not say "the ref is a putz" (which is a novel way of saying the ref is a private part, and we all know private parts of either sex are a great favourite with GAA fans when describing a ref). We could also borrow from black culture or Quentin Tarrantino and instead of saying "that b**tard of a ref", say "dat muddahfuckin muddahfucka" or "dat jiveass cocksucker has given a muddahfuckin penalty".  I know some of the diehards will be deadset against foreign curses being allowed into our hallowed grounds but once in I'd say everyone will be wondering why we didn't let the fuckin b**tards in earlier.

Puckoon

Quote from: Turlough O Carolan on June 02, 2010, 01:47:33 AM
In fairness swearing is part of the radical heritage and proud tradition of the GAA and any attempts to curb it would represent linguistic imperialism by the Queen's English, something that should make the blood boil in every Fiorgael. Not denying there's a bad language problem that perhaps Congress should take a look at but I think much of it is due to the fact that supporters use the same, tired old curse words all the time. In fairness there's a bit too much "c@nt of a ref", "the fuckin ape missed it" and "the dirty, filthy b**tard kneed him in the back". Why not broaden our swearing horizons. There's plenty of great foul language we could borrow from other other cultures, such as Yiddish for example. Instead of saying, "the ref is a p***k", why not say "the ref is a putz" (which is a novel way of saying the ref is a private part, and we all know private parts of either sex are a great favourite with GAA fans when describing a ref). We could also borrow from black culture or Quentin Tarrantino and instead of saying "that b**tard of a ref", say "dat muddahfuckin muddahfucka" or "dat jiveass cocksucker has given a muddahfuckin penalty".  I know some of the diehards will be deadset against foreign curses being allowed into our hallowed grounds but once in I'd say everyone will be wondering why we didn't let the fuckin b**tards in earlier.

Funny, funny stuff! :-D

ONeill

Turlough's excellent post opens up a new avenue to be considered.

The ref's an illegitimate bluebottle or a fly bastard? You decide.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

Quote from: Turlough O Carolan on June 02, 2010, 01:47:33 AM

Brilliant, and worthy of the great poet Carolan himself.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Canalman

Not a puritan by any means but I think the use of the c word in front of kids is just not acceptable. The odd curse in the heat of the moment at a match is "acceptable" in the circumstances imo. A continuous tirade of foul language is not acceptable.

talktothehand

easy solution for this one. have a family stand where swearing results in ejection from the ground. let everyone else in the ground proceed as normal. trying to send stewards in to eject people for this will result in a full scale riot.

mackers

Quote from: thewobbler on June 01, 2010, 10:28:29 PM
More nanny state type of nonsense if you ask me.

Kids curse. They don't learn to curse because of Gaelic Games, but because there are c***ts, b**tards and f**kers everywhere.

You'll be asking for a deck of the rosary at half time next.
Absolute rubbish!! Most children under 10 years of age only curse if they hear their parents at it. When they reach the teenage years then the cursing will get worse. At the Armagh Derry match I asked a 16/17 year old to cut out the bad language as I had my 9 year old beside me. His da came round and hit me a drive with the shoulder, told me to leave the "cub" out of it and told me I was a "silly looking c--t!!". A few Derry supporters around me told him to get a grip of himself.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Olly

At last someone starts a thread that addresses the ills if society in a positive manner. I have many ideas and this is one:

Number One: Have a swearing stand. If anyone wants to swear or feels that they might swear or maybe has just had a bad day, they go to that section of the pitch or stadium. If it's Croke Park it could be the Nelly Stand or the Upper Tier at the Canal End. In order to make people swear less, they should make that area unpleasant. i.e. don't pick up the litter from the previous week and have hardcore police with dogs patrolling it with wire fences put up around it. Even if it's a big county of swearers like Dublin, Tyrone, Armagh or Leitrim you could have a helicopter hovering over it or just a small plane. But I would rename the stand not to besmirk the great people like Nelly or Canal or Hogan or Cusack.

The swearers could swear and abuse all they want, jumping up and down like animals. I'd imagine that people will want to be clean mouthed when they see that. If someone in the other three stands or parts of the ground swear, they are immediately pounced upon by the yellow coats and trailed to the swearing stand. Whatever happens in there is their fault, if they're beaten up or groped or something.

The players would know not to go near them or even recognise them after the game. The TV cameras would refuse to show them.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Olly

Number Two: Have a code of conduct for swearing. In the earlier rounds you are not allowed to say b**tard, ****, p***k, f**k or whore. You can say things like feck, damn, useless and unhappy. This would be for the first round of the Ulster, Munster and Connaught championships and the first two qualifying rounds. In Leinster they're allowed a few extra words like kn**ker and shite.

From between the provincial semi-finals and the All-Ireland semis and the latter qualifying rounds you're allowed a small bit of freedom and say b**tard once in a game, f**k twice and whores are unlimited. For the All-Ireland final everything goes because not many children get a ticket and the stakes or high. Maybe Cooney could put a restriction on the amount of names you can call one player or official. EG. Cooper you f**king b**tard whore but not allowed to call him a **** with all of the others.

It would be hard to police but maybe not with extra yellow coats and dogs.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".