Paddy Bradley To Call It A Day

Started by Final Whistle, June 01, 2010, 01:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Final Whistle

From the BBC:

Derry star Paddy Bradley to retire at end of season 

Paddy Bradley celebrates after scoring a goal against Armagh last month
Derry forward Paddy Bradley will quit inter-county football at the end of this year's championship campaign.

The 29-year-old former All Star made his decision in the wake of Derry's exit from the Ulster SFC at the hands of Armagh in Celtic Park.

"I honestly feel I have given good service to the country over 11 years and I have given my all every time I played for the county," said Bradley.

"But I want to go out with a bang - I believe we are a match for anyone."

The loss of the Glenullin clubman will be a major blow for the Oak Leafers, who are preparing for the All-Ireland SFC qualifiers.

"I really believe that at the top of our game, we could beat a Cork or a Kerry," added Bradley.

"We tend to play well in Croke Park in the big open spaces, but it's getting through the packed defences that you have to get past there that trips us up."

Bradley has failed to win the Ulster SFC title with Derry since making his championship debut against Cavan in 2000.

"People will blame Mickey Moran, Paddy Crozier or Damian Cassidy or they will blame myself or Enda Muldoon or Fergal Doherty or any of the players," he said.

"But I can tell you every one of us players and managers have worked very hard to try to bring success to Derry."

T O Hare

I still reckon he will be playing next year for his old man!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Zapatista

I had to cheek the BBC web site to confirm (no offence Final Whistle). Strange announcement.

Is that not Eoin pictured on the BBC?

Quote from: T O Hare on June 01, 2010, 01:58:24 PM
I still reckon he will be playing next year for his old man!!!!

I'd say he could be back by the morning.

ziggysego

Quote from: Zapatista on June 01, 2010, 02:00:00 PM
I had to cheek the BBC web site to confirm (no offence Final Whistle). Strange announcement.

Is that not Eoin pictured on the BBC?

Looks like Paddy to me.
Testing Accessibility

glens abu

the way he has played the last few years I dont think he will be missed.

omagh_gael

Quote from: glens abu on June 01, 2010, 02:22:52 PM

You've obviously got some great players up in the glens if a player of Bradley's ability will not be missed!

nrico2006

This was on the back page of the Star yesterday.  He hasn't been playing that well of late anyway.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Overthebar!

one of the links on the bbc site is showing eoin for sure. lazy journo's!

Mario

As i said on the derry thread, First thoughts are why is he announcing this midseason? Is it so he gets his ego stroked by people begging him to come back. Don't get me wrong great player, great servant, but i question the timing of this, id also be very suprised not to see him in a Derry shirt next year.

I have to disagree that he hasn't played well the last few years, in 2007 he won an all star, in 2008 he was excellent through our league winning campaign, he was man of the match against donegal in the championship that year scoring 10 points. Last year he scored 2-08 against monaghan in the championship and this year he scored 1-2 or 1-3 against armagh. Hardly the form of a player who hasn't played well in the last few years. He has had a couple of poor games when he been double marked in recent years, but its not his fault the rest of the Derry players couldn't take advantage of this.

drici

From the BBC:

Derry star Paddy Bradley to retire at end of season 

Paddy Bradley celebrates after scoring a goal against Armagh last month

Derry forward Paddy Bradley will quit inter-county football at the end of this year's championship campaign.

The 29-year-old former All Star made his decision in the wake of Derry's exit from the Ulster SFC at the hands of Armagh in Celtic Park.

"I honestly feel I have given good service to the country over 11 years and I have given my all every time I played for the county," said Bradley.

"But I want to go out with a bang - I believe we are a match for anyone."

The loss of the Glenullin clubman will be a major blow for the Oak Leafers, who are preparing for the All-Ireland SFC qualifiers.

"I really believe that at the top of our game, we could beat a Cork or a Kerry," added Bradley.

"We tend to play well in Croke Park in the big open spaces, but it's getting through the packed defences that you have to get past there that trips us up."

Bradley has failed to win the Ulster SFC title with Derry since making his championship debut against Cavan in 2000.

"People will blame Mickey Moran, Paddy Crozier or Damian Cassidy or they will blame myself or Enda Muldoon or Fergal Doherty or any of the players," he said.

"But I can tell you every one of us players and managers have worked very hard to try to bring success to Derry."

Definitely not Eoin.
More like Francie Bellew.

tyronebhoy

This was mentioned in the Star on Sunday as well.

Do agree with others that if his old man gets the derry job, he will come back and play for him.

Down South

He's had more comebacks than Gary Glitter.

bingobus

Quote from: tyronebhoy on June 01, 2010, 02:53:05 PM
This was mentioned in the Star on Sunday as well.

Do agree with others that if his old man gets the derry job, he will come back and play for him.

Or is it a message to the County board to appoint his old man or he'll walk away?

tyronebhoy

Quote from: bingobus on June 01, 2010, 03:07:07 PM
Or is it a message to the County board to appoint his old man or he'll walk away?

Wouldn't be surprised.

Muzz

Quote from: Mario on June 01, 2010, 02:36:19 PM
As i said on the derry thread, First thoughts are why is he announcing this midseason? Is it so he gets his ego stroked by people begging him to come back. Don't get me wrong great player, great servant, but i question the timing of this, id also be very suprised not to see him in a Derry shirt next year.

I have to disagree that he hasn't played well the last few years, in 2007 he won an all star, in 2008 he was excellent through our league winning campaign, he was man of the match against donegal in the championship that year scoring 10 points. Last year he scored 2-08 against monaghan in the championship and this year he scored 1-2 or 1-3 against armagh. Hardly the form of a player who hasn't played well in the last few years. He has had a couple of poor games when he been double marked in recent years, but its not his fault the rest of the Derry players couldn't take advantage of this.

That all-star was more of an achievement for Paddy Heaney than for Patrick.  Patrick was far from his best in 2007 and no doubt won this all-star for being missed out in previous years.  Granted he should have probably had an all-star in years previous to 2007 but did not deserve the award in 2007.