WOT? No Antrim v Offaly thread?

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, May 25, 2010, 11:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurler on the Bitch

Says it all doesn't it?

I'd say 10 points to Offaly at Parnell...  We're back to 1982 again...

Milltown Row2

maybe get a wee bit closer on that bitch.

i think we have nothing to lose and the boys feel better playing Offaly in Parnell than Croke. tight pitch and should suit us
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

I remember 2 Offaly-Antrim matches. 1989 when the young pups of the faithful county just weren't good enough and the unthinkable happened. 40 minutes later John Denton (spit) strode onto the pitch and the rest was history.

Then there was the match some years later when 3 Offaly players were dispatched to the treatment room by a very capable hatchet man in saffron. 

If the Offaly hurlers are as poor as the fuballers anything is possible.

the colonel

the difference between success and failure is energy

maxpower

Would he be talking about Jackie Carson on Kevin Martin, can't remember the year but think Kevin Martin lost the tip of his finger from a challenge
What happens next????

Minder

Quote from: maxpower on May 27, 2010, 04:49:46 PM
Would he be talking about Jackie Carson on Kevin Martin, can't remember the year but think Kevin Martin lost the tip of his finger from a challenge

I think it was around 1999 or 2000
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

imtommygunn

There was a thread earlier about Jackie Carson gone mad in that match...

Bord na Mona man

It was mentioned here.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=15563.15

I'd give Carson the benefit of the doubt over the Kevin Martin one.
He pulled at a dropping ball and the top of Martin's finger get caught between the two hurleys.

As for the match.
I think a few Offaly folk may be getting carried away with themselves thinking this will be a stroll.
While Offaly gave Antrim a trimming in the play off last year, Antrim were probably confident of getting any potential relegation overturned.

What did strike me was the amount of beer bellies on the Antrim players. If Dinny Cahill has done any sort of decent fitness work in the mean time, there is plenty of scope to improve things.

This Offaly (as is tradition) team is well capable of building up a few points of a lead and going to sleep.
They may have beaten Dublin and let Tipp off the hook, but they also barely beat a third rate Limerick team.

Offaly (team v Antrim): Brian Mullins, David Franks, Paul Cleary, Michael Verney, James Rigney, David Kenny, Derek Morkan, Rory Hanniffy, Kevin Brady, Daniel Currams, Joe Brady, Derek Molloy, Brian Carroll, Joe Bergin, Shane Dooley.

Bord na Mona man

Antrim (team v Offaly: G McGhee; K McGourty, C Donnelly, A Graffin; N McAuley, J Campbell, C Herron; P Shiels, K Stewart; E McCloskey, T McCann, J Scullion; S McNaughton, N McManus, K McKeegan.

Plain of the Herbs

C'mon, Bordy, put first names and clubs on them . . .  ;D  ;D
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 27, 2010, 08:59:15 PM
Antrim (team v Offaly: G McGhee; K McGourty, C Donnelly, A Graffin; N McAuley, J Campbell, C Herron; P Shiels, K Stewart; E McCloskey, T McCann, J Scullion; S McNaughton, N McManus, K McKeegan.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Plain of the Herbs on May 27, 2010, 09:08:53 PM
If it can't be copied and pasted, then I'm fecked.
Match programmes for Antrim line ups should also include the players' nicknames.
Save us figuring out which one is Humpy, Mushy, Bumpy, Lumpy etc.

Plain of the Herbs

Always know your opposition . . .
Antrim (team v Offaly): Gareth McGhee (Dunloy); Kieran McGourty (St Gall's), Cormac Donnelly (Ballycastle), Aaron Graffin (Cushendall); Neil McAuley (Ballycastle), Johnny Campbell (Loughgiel), Ciarán Herron (Kevin Lynch's); Paul Shiels (Dunloy), Karl Stewart (St Gall's); Eddie McCloskey (Loughgiel), Thomas McCann (Creggan Kickhams), Joey Scullion (Loughgiel); Shane McNaughton (Cushendall), Neil McManus (Cushendall), Karl McKeegan (Cushendall).

Finally, is it Loughgiel, Loughgeil or Loughguile?  Antrim lads might assist.
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 27, 2010, 09:21:37 PM
Match programmes for Antrim line ups should also include the players' nicknames.

slow corner back

As with many things in the slow decline of antrim hurling the long list of nicknames has also declined. Of that starting 15 there is only a hippy(jr) and a shorty. A sad reflection on the state of our hurling and our imaginations. Although we may have a winker on the bench? ??? ???

Minder

Quote from: Plain of the Herbs on May 27, 2010, 10:20:08 PM
Always know your opposition . . .
Antrim (team v Offaly): Gareth McGhee (Dunloy); Kieran McGourty (St Gall's), Cormac Donnelly (Ballycastle), Aaron Graffin (Cushendall); Neil McAuley (Ballycastle), Johnny Campbell (Loughgiel), Ciarán Herron (Kevin Lynch's); Paul Shiels (Ballycastle), Karl Stewart (St Gall's); Eddie McCloskey (Loughgiel), Thomas McCann (Creggan Kickhams), Joey Scullion (Loughgiel); Shane McNaughton (Cushendall), Neil McManus (Cushendall), Karl McKeegan (Cushendall).

Finally, is it Loughgiel, Loughgeil or Loughguile?  Antrim lads might assist.
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 27, 2010, 09:21:37 PM
Paul Shiels plays for Dunloy.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: slow corner back on May 27, 2010, 10:21:43 PM
As with many things in the slow decline of antrim hurling the long list of nicknames has also declined. Of that starting 15 there is only a hippy(jr) and a shorty. A sad reflection on the state of our hurling and our imaginations. Although we may have a winker on the bench? ??? ???
Was thinking that as well. We need players with nicknames before we can get back to where we were at the late 80's/early 90's.
By the time the opposition where figuring out who the hell was clute, beaver, Jew & Woody were we had the match won