Tyrone v Down USFC Semi Final Sat 19th June

Started by Fuzzman, May 25, 2010, 04:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

tyrone86

Quote from: longrunsthefox on June 17, 2010, 10:29:58 PM
What does McCarron have to do?...

Whatever about McCarron, Sean O'Neill is bound to be a quare sick boy tonight - Davy Harte eventually does get dropped and Pete Harte nips in ahead of Red.

Mr. Nakata

Agree totally tyrone86, not only did Davy get the shepherd's hook, but Ricey as well, and red Sean still can't get in. Tonight's selection has me scratching the old noggin big time.

Fear ón Srath Bán

As loughshore lad said, Petey will be equally at home in the half-forwards should big Joe drop back, whereas we wouldn't be as sure about Red Seán, but a great lad to bring on for that energy. More scientific than mystic  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

tyrone86

Quote from: Mr. Nakata on June 17, 2010, 10:37:45 PM
Agree totally tyrone86, not only did Davy get the shepherd's hook, but Ricey as well, and red Sean still can't get in. Tonight's selection has me scratching the old noggin big time.

Going on that selection, I'd say you'll see Joey and Justy on Coulter and Gordon with Gormley on Martin Clarke. What Peter Harte does give you is the ability to get good quality ball into the FF line quickly and regularly - something which was poor against Antrim considering the calibre of ball winners and score takers you have close to goal.

StGallsGAA

QuoteHe looks like Tony Fearon.

Not unless Tony's been to Weightwatchers

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Rois on June 17, 2010, 11:55:13 AM

I see what you're saying but I can't fully agree.  I'd prefer it if the game didn't need to be saved, and if that means starting Dooher or McCullagh (reservations about the other two) because they're the best option to win the game, then start them.  Blooding new players is fine if they are good enough to replace the old hands.  I wouldn't be risking complacency at any level of the championship by throwing on a second-best option knowing that the first-best is waiting to come in if it all goes wrong.  That seems dangerous to me.

Agreed. This is the championship and you dont throw guys onto the team just to get experience, they should go in when they are better than whats already there. Even in lean periods Down are very dangerous opponents and their current team is strong, we need to name the strongest possible team.

There are plenty of posters on here who accuse Harte of sticking with his favourites and not letting the team evolve but the idea you should move somebody out the team for an inferior replacement on the grounds they are a few years younger is seriously flawed. The so called old guard are hardly Dads Army anyway, the 97/98 minors are 29/30. Not past it yet despite what some people would like to think.

Harte is well aware that the team cant  stand still, he said in the book that Armagh did so whereas Tyrone continued to evolve as a team. Since 2003 with the likes of the McMahons, Penrose, Tommy etc coming in and taking responsiblity. There are signs that Cavanagh Og and Cassidy are now making that breakthrough as well and we will see some of the 2008 lads stepping up over the next few years too.

Like the look of the team for Saturday. Red Sean and Cathal McCarron might well be disappointed but need to look at the likes of Carlin, Penrose and Tommy who were around the panel for a while and in and out of the starting 15 but stuck at it and were rewarded.

Im still concerned about who in this team is going to knit it all together though. Depending how it pans out would like to see McCullagh get on and see how his form is.

Zapatista

No Dromore or Ardboe men starting. It's a big ask of them lads. At least Dromore got their championship game played.

tyroneman

As I've said before the lack of a playmaker is a major concern. Sean has yet to convince in the HF line too. Unless Joey drops back and PH take the CHF role??

Zapatista

Quote from: tyroneman on June 18, 2010, 08:12:55 AM
As I've said before the lack of a playmaker is a major concern. Sean has yet to convince in the HF line too. Unless Joey drops back and PH take the CHF role??

I don't think it's a major concern at all. Playmakers are nothing more than good passers of the ball. We're fine with who we have there.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Zapatista on June 18, 2010, 08:26:11 AM

I don't think it's a major concern at all. Playmakers are nothing more than good passers of the ball. We're fine with who we have there.

Brian McGuigan's role in 2003 and 2005 was a lot more than being a good passer of the ball! His linking of the play was absolutely crucial to the success of that Tyrone system. His absence in 2006 and 2007 was a huge loss. No coincidence that Tyrone were back near their best in 2008 when McCullagh stepped up and took on a similar role in the team. We didnt have anybody doing it last summer and it showed. 

imtommygunn

Zaptista a playmaker makes a vast difference to a team. A good passer with good vision will pick out good runs from FF lines and they'll automatically have more time to take scores.

I would have said it's a major concern.

If you don't have one of them O'Neill and Mulligan will score nowhere near as much.

Also you are underplaying McGuigan's value in 2003/2005 to the team by saying this.

Zapatista

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 18, 2010, 08:54:47 AM
Zaptista a playmaker makes a vast difference to a team. A good passer with good vision will pick out good runs from FF lines and they'll automatically have more time to take scores.

I would have said it's a major concern.

If you don't have one of them O'Neill and Mulligan will score nowhere near as much.

Also you are underplaying McGuigan's value in 2003/2005 to the team by saying this.

No i'm not. He was extremely valuable as was McCullagh in 08. However, the lack of someone in that role can be compensated by quality footballers who can win their own ball and play it early or run at defences. While McGuigan and McCullagh are fantastic passers of the ball and can hold the ball up to give more time to make the right choice for them it's not always the best thing. My point is that there is more than one way to win a game and score points and I think there is enough quality individuals there to be able to do that.

I think playmaker became a buzz word which for some reason became a necessity. Probably to give the pundits something to discuss.

Zapatista

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on June 18, 2010, 08:53:54 AM

Brian McGuigan's role in 2003 and 2005 was a lot more than being a good passer of the ball! His linking of the play was absolutely crucial to the success of that Tyrone system. His absence in 2006 and 2007 was a huge loss. No coincidence that Tyrone were back near their best in 2008 when McCullagh stepped up and took on a similar role in the team. We didnt have anybody doing it last summer and it showed.

Linking up is passing. I've no doubt they were cruicial but the system was built including them and not around them. Other systems can work around other players with other qualities. To use those stats to justify the role is pushing it a little.

imtommygunn

Wouldn't tend to agree.

Most of the successful teams over the last while have had someone in the playmaker role - i.e. someone who had the vision to pick out a pass early and give the forward the extra yard to work with.

Blaney, McGuigan etc etc I wouldn't say Kerry have a typical one but if you look this year Gooch is coming out a lot and spraying good ball into Donaghy etc. Dara O'Se was also excellent.

Joe McMahon and Dooher wouldn't be teh worlds best passers of a ball and Kavanagh runs with it more than passes. Kevin Hughes wouldn't have the best feet on him either...