Stevie McDonnell - Leave Me Alone

Started by ONeill, February 13, 2007, 07:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I know what you're saying but I can't get my head around speaking to the media about it. McDonnell even says himself that these people don't know their football and it's only those who do he listens to. This is the same man who wouldn't be shy to point to his number after a goal, to the same crowd. If you want adulation, you may expect criticism and take it too.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Over the Bar

QuoteIf I had been in the crowd the day young Mark Harte got booed I would have shut anyone up in the vicinity in no uncertain terms.

RRHF when was this?  Are referring to when he was substituted in Omagh & a section of the crowd cheered?

tyroneman

QuoteMcDonnell's probably the hardest working player on the Armagh team

Erm...no he isn't

But I'd have him in a Tyrone shirt in a flash

Over the Bar

hmm..  I've never seen him beyond the 45!  Stevie does not defend, which gets on a lot of Orange wicks.

haveaharp

Quote from: Over the Bar on February 13, 2007, 12:28:40 PM

hmm..  I've never seen him beyond the 45!  Stevie does not defend, which gets on a lot of Orange wicks.

bullshit

Over the Bar

Quotebullshit

I'm not saying it hasn't happened but in the 2005 semi-final he barely featured in his own half.   Are you saying that the Armagh fans don't berate him for not tracking back??  You don't go to many games then.

realredhandfan

If Mc Donnell is not a marquee forward then Armagh do not have one. He provides the flair that is lacking in every other position on the field.  From simply A GAA perspective where O Donnell hounded out like a number of other Armagh flair players over the past few years in favour of dour Gaelic Football machines then Armagh will be virtually unwatchable. At the moment he keeps the rest of the GAA viewing public sane, when it comes to Armagh.   I dont mind the blowing kisses and pointing to his own number... its a sign that theres some personality left in that team.

realredhandfan

I guarantee that if O Donnell had tracked back he would have made a far more successful attempt of a tackle than that reckless defener Mc Keever.  Cost Armagh an All Ireland that cub..

Uladh

From the county that regards running with the ball up your jumper entertainment. You are allowed to kick the ball occaionally. there's more pleasure in watching norn iron than tyrone.

realredhandfan

Each of us get pleasure in different ways Uladh..

downredblack

"From the county that regards running with the ball up your jumper entertainment. You are allowed to kick the ball occaionally. there's more pleasure in watching norn iron than tyrone."

Which roughly translates into "I am Jealous of the two All Ireland's your fair county has won "

lynchbhoy

IMO McDonnell works hard defending as attacking alright.
If I was kernan and saw him back in his own half I'd boot his erse.
He is crucial to Armagh's gameplan to score and thus win, and you cannot do that out the field.
He needs to be in the danger zone where he can do all the damage.
One of THE top scoring machines in gaelic football.

Anyone who boo's a lad on their own side needs a kicking.
Thats not supporting your team.
no man goes out to play badly.
that kind of carp really irks me

Armamike

I wouldn't expect to see a corner forward back helping his backline to be honest - that would get on my wick a lot more. But as far as forwards go, he's as hard working as they come. McDonnell makes countless runs and is always available for the ball - probably explaining why so much goes through him.  I've seen him had plenty of bad games but his selfless off the ball movement has created space and opportunities for others.

That's just, like your opinion man.

Kerry Mike

We've seen the same personal abuse in Kerry over the years with last years treatment of Declan O'Sullivan a prime example. He was subjected to booing and personal abuse in the Munster final replay last year in Cork by certain elements in the Kerry crowd which I thought at the time was well out of order.

In fairness Declan was having a poor run of form at the time but some of the stuff being shouted from the experts sitting on their holes in the stands was just vile.

Thankfully Declan put his head down and got on with the hard work of regaining his place and the captaincy and he rammed the abuse down their throats in the AI final scoring the first goal and going on to lift Sam and bring him back to Kerry.

But it didnt stop there for Declan, while helping South Kerry win a third county final in a row in October, Declan was again the victim of some personal attacks from elements of the Dr Crokes club in Killarney, and it was that and the earlier happenings in 2006 that probably prompted Declan to take an extended holiday in Australia for the spring, giving up football, its probably something similar to Paul Galvin taking time off as well. The abuse he got after the Armagh game was unreal. Yes he deserved the red card but after being provoked by a water carrier, and yes he plays to the limit of the rules and is a hard man on the field but is that any reason to have to live with personal abuse from every corner.

There is huge pressure on county players nowadays and that can have a big impact on the players family and social lives, these guys give their all for their county and none of us have the right to question their abilities. I have nothing but pride for all county footballers and the dedication they put into the game and none of them should have to put up with the abuse they get on and in particular off the field. When you see it happening from your own so called supporters it is all the more sickening. If McDonnell is getting this from Armagh supporters, who he owes nothing to, no one would be surprised if he was to walk away from it.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

illdecide

Well Stevie got a bit of stick from a few melters in the crowd we all know people who would question his ability are complete dickheads neither can anyone question his dedication to Armagh but lads from reading through this thread why are you even paying any attention to those c**k-boxes slagging him on the board. Ignore them as all they are doing is winding you's lads up. There is not one county in Ireland who wouldn't want Stevie on their team, so don't even reply to those remarks >:(
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch