GAA Windfall - how should the money be spent

Started by stephenite, February 13, 2007, 02:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the best way to spend money earned from renting out Croker?

Pay off the debt on the stadium
Development of hurling in 'weaker counties'
Split in 4 with each province getting an equal share
Each club / county board receiving hand outs on a case by case basis
Leave it with central council
Every penny to be spent on putting a coach into every school/developing the underage structure
Give it to the GPA

deiseach

Quote from: tayto on February 21, 2007, 04:59:45 PM
indo yesterday said the GAA made 2.2 million from the frnech game. Not bad.

Much better than I ever thought the GAA would do when the whole Rule 42 debate was taking place. I'm convinced the IRFU in particular would do better from going to Cardiff.

Captain Scarlet

it should go long term for the coaching of kids. if they all got proper coaching through camps there would be less of a gap in skill levels down the years.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Handball Ace

muppet

Is is very easy to say here give it to the clubs/weak hurling counties/provinces.

If you take my own county as an example a strong case could be made here by most Mayo posters for rewarding the great strides made by the Mayo hurlers over the last few years, against the odds. An injury time point cost them the a place in the Division 2 final last year. That is remarkable given that there are barely 6 clubs.

I could nominate those hurlers for a cut of the Rugby/Soccer money. The problem of course is that the money would have to go to the County Board, some of whom were in the Carribean with the footballers recently incidently. The odds of the hurlers seeing any of it would be very slim. This sort of thing is not exclusive to Mayo.

My point is that Croke Park could make a genuine announcment allocating money to needy areas and while we all pat ourselves on the back for a job well done by the association, the money gets diverted.

Any money handed out needs serious monitoring and acountability.   
MWWSI 2017

tayto

Quote from: muppet on February 22, 2007, 02:26:24 PM

I could nominate those hurlers for a cut of the Rugby/Soccer money. The problem of course is that the money would have to go to the County Board, some of whom were in the Carribean with the footballers recently incidently. The odds of the hurlers seeing any of it would be very slim. This sort of thing is not exclusive to Mayo.

My point is that Croke Park could make a genuine announcment allocating money to needy areas and while we all pat ourselves on the back for a job well done by the association, the money gets diverted.

Any money handed out needs serious monitoring and acountability.   

That is exactly what Paudie Butlers job is. To make sure money allocated fo hurling goes to hurling and not on football junkets. I admire his energy going around coaching people etc but it's more important that he co-ordinates coachs and spending, he can't do it all himself.

I read somewhere recently that the number of hurlers in Mayo has doubled over the last 5 years. is that true?

Judge Kearns

The money should be spent develping football in weaker counties like Down n Tyrone n Derry

nrico2006

QuoteI read somewhere recently that the number of hurlers in Mayo has doubled over the last 5 years. is that true?

Aye, I think they have 20 now!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AMayoSheep

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 22, 2007, 04:17:16 PM
QuoteI read somewhere recently that the number of hurlers in Mayo has doubled over the last 5 years. is that true?

Aye, I think they have 20 now!

;D ;D ;D ;D
Ah no, slowley but surley mayo hurling is improving despight the county board determined to do otherwise!!

Agree with the posters who were saying that the money should be spent in areas where the gaa isnt so popula,especially in urban areasr because if they dont it could prove costly in say 20 years