No hand pass problem says Duffy

Started by longrunsthefox, May 17, 2010, 05:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Paraic whistles while Rome burns... "I don't see what the problem should be," he says.'

Duffy denies short notice on handpass rule

GAA director-general Paraic Duffy has claimed that a panel of referees visited teams involved in championship games over the weekend to clarify any issues relating to the handpass rule.

Tipperary football manager John Evans described GAA officialdom as "intelligent fools" after the new handpass rule was implemented for the first time in yesterday's games, while his Kerry counterpart Jack O'Connor also hit out at the new directive.

But speaking at the launch of Ulster Bank's GAA Rivals campaign in Croke Park today, Duffy clarified that the changes to the rules - which came about at Congress in April - were communicated to every county board and club in the country, while broadcast media covering the weekend's games also had the rule explained to them by National Match Officials Coordinator Patrick Doherty.

"The rule was changed at Congress four weeks ago. Every county, every club in the country were written to directly. Leading officials were written too," Duffy said.

"Last week we sent six of our elite inter-county referees to meet the six teams who were playing yesterday. The rule is as simple as can be, you can strike the ball with the closed fist, or you strike the ball with the underhand, provided there is a striking action.

"We sent six referees to the six teams last week, to answer any queries that they had. I can't see why there should have been a problem yesterday," he added.

"We also met last week. Pat Doherty, our National Match officials manager went down to RTÉ and met with all of the commentators, broadcasters and analysts to explain the rule. Every query they had was answered, from those who were there. So I don't see what the problem should be."

zoyler

Of course he ignored the real problem which was that in Celtic Park anyway the idiot ref called perfectly executed handpasses fouls!

SLIGONIAN

The problem is several times yesterday good handpasses were blown up as frees by the 3 clowns refereinng. None of the 3 had a clue what was a good handpass or not. Yday i thought all 3 referees were a disgrace to the GAA and should apologise to the players. They ruined any chance of entertainment coming from the games.

The Sunday game panelists all stated they spoke to referees assesors recently and one said why isnt common sense used, which the answer was "common isnt in the rule book". Refs are all about ego and centre of attention and there very successful in that way you have to give it to them.

I was frustated to say the least yday watching all 3 games, and God help me when Sligo have to play.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

liihb

Can anyone explain to me the reasoning behind introducing the rule? Surely the quick layoff to a lad bursting through the middle is a skill of the game, and it looks like this is going to remove it completely?
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

bingobus

Is the problem with the actual rule itself and that in the heat of a match a ref has to pay such close attention to a fist pass and not to everything else that is going on? I know they want to prevent a short game but this is hardly going to do that in even the medium term.

Trying to change such a basic skill is madness. Whats next, you're not allowed to catch a ball below your waist or kick with the outside of your foot!!

A Quinn Martin Production

It seems to me that the refs forgot that any type of fisted pass is OK as long as there is a clear strike.  It's only the open hand pass that must have an "underhand" strike.  In the Kerry match the ref called back at least two fisted passes that weren't underhand ???

BTW does "underhand" mean the ball must be played from underneath (or would that be under ball ;)) and that the lateral "push" type pass is now illegal ???
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

longrunsthefox

The same is happening in club games with refs blowing up what appear to be legitimate handpasses all over the place. Is difficult for refs too.

Zulu

QuoteThe rule is as simple as can be, you can strike the ball with the closed fist, or you strike the ball with the underhand, provided there is a striking action.

What's your underhand? My understanding is that the motion has to be an underhand one but most of the frees for illegal handpassing yesterday were when players did do that while there were quite a few left go when they didn't seem to do that. New rules of any ilk should never be introduced a) without trialling and b) in the most important competition.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Zulu on May 17, 2010, 05:32:45 PM
QuoteThe rule is as simple as can be, you can strike the ball with the closed fist, or you strike the ball with the underhand, provided there is a striking action.

What's your underhand? My understanding is that the motion has to be an underhand one but most of the frees for illegal handpassing yesterday were when players did do that while there were quite a few left go when they didn't seem to do that. New rules of any ilk should never be introduced a) without trialling and b) in the most important competition.

It is unbelievable that a rule can be trialled in the NFL for 3 months and that this is rejected but is replaced by a rule which was NEVER trialled anywhere.  That is just plain daft.

If the NFL ruling didn't work they should have adopted a trial of the new rule at some stage in the future before actually bringing it in as a proper rule.

Rossfan

Was the new interpretation of the handpass/throw voted in by the Congress delegates or was it a directive of Central Council or of the Ard Stiúitheoir?
The biggest problem with any rule in football, either old or new, is the awful inconsistency of the refs in implementing/ignoring them.
Personally I think ALL handpassing should be banned to fu*k as the name of the game is FOOTball.
It was painful lookign at the 2 live games yesterday as the ball was handpassed up and down the field ad nauseum.
When Stevie McDonnell ( one man who is able to kick a ball) decided to kick a long ball into the big square and Armagh had a goal.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Orior

How about this idea - no handpass no problem.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hardy

Now yizzer talkin. Ban the abomination of handpassing completely.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

put-it-up

It shoulda been left as it was, where everybody knew you couldn't throw it. That avoided general confusion like we saw on Sunday

Armaghgeddon

Paraic Duffy - One word - Dickhead.