Previous topic - Next topic

Are Ulster teams at a competitive dis-advantage

Yes
25 (59.5%)
No
17 (40.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Peter Solan the Great

I see in Martin McHugh's column in the Star where he derides the unfairness of the Provincial championships. He says the only two competitive provincial championships are the Munster Hurling and the Ulster Football. I fail to see his point with regards to the Ulster football championship, there has been only two winners in over ten years and it looks like Armagh again this year. Are Ulster teams at a competitive dis-advantage compared to teams in other provinces. What can be done to rectify it? I never really likes McHugh's articles his Ulster bias is clearly in evidence each time he writes.

Zulu

They provincials should be binned immediately, they serve no purpose and result in an unfair, unbalanced and poorly planned competition. This impacts upon the club scene as much as anything else.

longrunsthefox

Don't mind Martin McHugh, he said Tyrone couldn't win an All Ireland without Peter Canavan  ::)

tyssam5

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on May 15, 2010, 11:53:12 AM
I see in Martin McHugh's column in the Star where he derides the unfairness of the Provincial championships. He says the only two competitive provincial championships are the Munster Hurling and the Ulster Football. I fail to see his point with regards to the Ulster football championship, there has been only two winners in over ten years and it looks like Armagh again this year. Are Ulster teams at a competitive dis-advantage compared to teams in other provinces. What can be done to rectify it? I never really likes McHugh's articles his Ulster bias is clearly in evidence each time he writes.

Take your point that there has only been 2 winners of late. But there's still a disadvantage in that because there are 9 team you don't get drawn against one rubbish team and win one game to get to provincial final, from there even if you're beaten you get a berth further on in the qualifiers. Going the direct route less games to win a competition is an advantage.

Donnellys Hollow

Didn't Wicklow beat three Ulster teams last year?

McHugh talking nonsense as usual.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

balladmaker

Quotethere has been only two winners in over ten years and it looks like Armagh again this year

How can you say it looks like Armagh again this year before a ball is kicked and when Armagh's first game is in Celtic Park of all places?

Yes, the provincial system is inherently flawed, given the task of getting out of the likes of Ulster, having to peak for each game in the province, and then contest an All Ireland quarter final etc.  Would prefer to be trying to get out of Munster or Connaught, than Ulster.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 15, 2010, 08:21:17 PM

Exactly..but these lads never let the facts get in the way of a good whinge.

I remember Joe Kernan whinging a few years back about how it was of no advantage to win the province as you are at a disadvantage against teams coming through the qualifiers because of the long layoff. Of course this argument only applies to Ulster teams ... if Kerry win Munster and have a 6 week break then they have the advantage of being "fresh"  ::)

The truth is its just excuse for yet another Ulster whinge. They just love whinging. Everybody is against them, they are such great fellas to be able to triumph aganst all the odds....blah, blah, blah. Honestly, just shut the feck up will ye.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 15, 2010, 09:46:15 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 15, 2010, 08:21:17 PM

Exactly..but these lads never let the facts get in the way of a good whinge.

I remember Joe Kernan whinging a few years back about how it was of no advantage to win the province as you are at a disadvantage against teams coming through the qualifiers because of the long layoff. Of course this argument only applies to Ulster teams ... if Kerry win Munster and have a 6 week break then they have the advantage of being "fresh"  ::)

The truth is its just excuse for yet another Ulster whinge. They just love whinging. Everybody is against them, they are such great fellas to be able to triumph aganst all the odds....blah, blah, blah. Honestly, just shut the feck up will ye.

Like Kerry don't whinge when Tyrone beat them in the championship  :'(

Jimmy

I don't think McHugh's point is that the way the draws are now is stopping ulster teams winning all-irelands, it's that it is an uneven playing field. And until it is a even playing field, there will always be this arguement.

If you look at the draws this year, if Limerick win their munster semi and then loose the final, they go into the qualifier round before the all Ireland quarter finals. Armagh could beat Derry tomorrow, loose to Monaghan and then have to play 3 rounds of qualifiers to get to the same stage as Limerick.

There's probably the same problem with Leinster. The provines with more teams are at a disadvantages to the provinces with less teams.

I personally think the provincial championchip should be scrapped, but I think that it too radical for the powers that be that are responsible for these changes. If there was an even competition I think Kerry would win as much as they have now and probably McHugh would agree. I think that's his point.

Maguire01

Quote from: Jimmy on May 15, 2010, 11:59:00 PM
If you look at the draws this year, if Limerick win their munster semi and then loose the final, they go into the qualifier round before the all Ireland quarter finals. Armagh could beat Derry tomorrow, loose to Monaghan and then have to play 3 rounds of qualifiers to get to the same stage as Limerick.
Well illustrated, although don't expect Mike Sheehy to actually reply and address the substance of the issue.
Also, I like the second half of your scenario!

Family guy

Just get rid of the back door system and it will make things an awful lot easier,but the way the gaa or grab all is going there just looking more people through the gates of croker,bet there hoping the dubs go on a big run this year

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: balladmaker on May 15, 2010, 08:26:43 PM
Quotethere has been only two winners in over ten years and it looks like Armagh again this year

How can you say it looks like Armagh again this year before a ball is kicked and when Armagh's first game is in Celtic Park of all places?

Yes, the provincial system is inherently flawed, given the task of getting out of the likes of Ulster, having to peak for each game in the province, and then contest an All Ireland quarter final etc.  Would prefer to be trying to get out of Munster or Connaught, than Ulster.

Armagh look the form team, Celtic park is that much of a fortress these days? how many games did they lose in the league there.

Bensars

Any unfairness in any provisional championship was negated as soon as the qualifer system was introduced.

All teams will get a second chance ( bar provincial winners)  so it levels the field.

bridgegael

Mchugh hasn't a clue!!  last week he wrote that Downs young player to watch out for was Colin Devlin that plays for Kilcoole.  no such player,  no such team!!!   

a little bit of research wouldnt go a miss!!!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

J70

Quote from: Jimmy on May 15, 2010, 11:59:00 PM
I don't think McHugh's point is that the way the draws are now is stopping ulster teams winning all-irelands, it's that it is an uneven playing field. And until it is a even playing field, there will always be this arguement.

There's probably the same problem with Leinster. The provines with more teams are at a disadvantages to the provinces with less teams.

Very well said.