4 students murdered by US forces on a university campus in Ohio. 40th anniversar

Started by give her dixie, May 04, 2010, 12:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: Arthur_Friend on May 05, 2010, 10:53:43 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on May 05, 2010, 10:38:20 PM
Boys if you dislike the US that much - put your words and beliefs into actions. Stop using your macs, your dell computers, your ipods. Take a stance and refuse medications developed in the US if your life is on the line. Forget about your nikes, and all the rest of it.

I've been a long time supporter of the work Dixie has pumped out in Palestine bringing aid into the country - and his tireless quest for aid. However recently - just as tirelessly as he works - his severely skewed opinion postings on America and its way of life is becoming more than tiresome. Sorry Dixie - what do you want from us who live over here? I'll give you that TO does not answer questions, and some of his knee jerk reactions to American problems are embarrassing.

As magickingdom says I find offence at many of the things you've posted recently - because you are tarring an entire nation with your political brush. There are many people here who are not content to just sit by and do nothing - yet you call them (and a few of us on here) cowards and the like. I wouldnt ever suggest fettering your passion for the cause in Palestine - but judging by your posts on here you are getting carried away with words and opinions that are insulting and downright disgusting to the eyes of the average Joe trying to get by in America - i.e. Me.

At the end of the day most of us have to settle somewhere and for one reason or another - many of us have settled in the US and are happy enough about it. No matter where you pin your colours or lay your head at night - there is, nor never has been any perfection regarding national and international politics.

So again - to the hangers on here - if you are so disgusted at America - make sure you buy/use/watch/read and listen chinese. Then come back and harrang us about all the things wrong with America.

EDIT: No one I know (bar stew) sleeps with a gun under their pillow btw.

This is such a f**king ridiculous argument it's unbelievable. First of all, criticism of American foreign policy is not criticism of America or Americans. And secondly, do you have to boycott all products made in the UK before you can criticise British foreign policy? Ever criticised the 'Brits' over Northern Ireland Puckoon? and continued to use British made products? Wise up.

If you want to get into it - what is f**king ridiculous is the sensationalistic bullshit being spouted about people sleeping with guns under their pillows and the parodying of "the land of the free and the home of the brave" into a school yard insult. If you read the rest of what I have to say - I have no problem with criticism of American Policy - there are unashamed insults thrown at everyone who chooses to live here - American or not - in this thread.

I was never big into criticising the Brits. Primarily because I buy tayto over walkers.

stew

I  do not, have not and will not sleep with a gun under my pillow, I have a gun in the house and it is under lock and key, in this country just like in Ireland you have to be licensed to have a gun and I tend to follow the rules of the Country I live in so I went and got one, the reason I got one was because our home got attacked not once but twice, we got burned out of Portadown (killycomaine gardens when I was seven) and my parents had a pipe bomb go through their downstairs bathroom in Lonsdale Villas in Armagh about seven years ago, they had to move out of their home due to bigotry for a second time. Enough is enough, I have never bothered anybody and I wont have you fcukers making me out to being some sort of gun toting fool, walk in my shoes then criticise me.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

give her dixie

Folks, can we draw a line under this argument.

I have apologised before and I will apologise again to anyone I have offended.

Because of what I have been involved in, I have become very critical of US foreign policy.
I always have since living in during the 1st Gulf War, and following it closely ever since.
This shouldn't be taken in any way as a hatred of US citizens personally.
It's the system.

However, as I have lived there, I also have some incredible memories, and some fantastic
friends still living there. I will admit that I seldom talk about the good aspects of life there.

I know that I have pushed the boat out a few times on critism of the US, and from now on,
i'll agree to tone it down.

However lads, I have taken some personal shit and unfounded allegations have been made about me
that have been hurtful and disgraceful. I can take any form of critism on my posts, but I shouldn't have
to take it personally.

Stew, as I have said before, I have never had any beef with you ever. Plus, I give you full respect
in giving your name. You were prepared to put your name to your argument, and that took guts.
Plus, what happened to you and your family gives you a good enough reason to have a gun.

So, if everyone can accept my apology for offending them, can we put it behind us?

Plus, I feel bad for having started all this, and most importantly, disrespecting the memory of the 4 students whose anniversary it was yesterday.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Tyrones own

Quote from: Puckoon on May 05, 2010, 10:38:20 PM
I'll give you that TO does not answer questions, and some of his knee jerk reactions to American problems are embarrassing.
Me....out of all the dodgers on this board, you level this at me ??? surely you jest :D
Sure they've chosen to boycott me for Jaysus sake rather than answer to anything!!
Good one... ye had me there for a second :P
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Hedley Lamarr

Quote from: stew on May 05, 2010, 11:29:48 PM
I  do not, have not and will not sleep with a gun under my pillow, I have a gun in the house and it is under lock and key, in this country just like in Ireland you have to be licensed to have a gun and I tend to follow the rules of the Country I live in so I went and got one, the reason I got one was because our home got attacked not once but twice, we got burned out of Portadown (killycomaine gardens when I was seven) and my parents had a pipe bomb go through their downstairs bathroom in Lonsdale Villas in Armagh about seven years ago, they had to move out of their home due to bigotry for a second time. Enough is enough, I have never bothered anybody and I wont have you fcukers making me out to being some sort of gun toting fool, walk in my shoes then criticise me.

Try walking in the shoes of the Palestinians....you know the people you label as murdering scum.... ::) ::)
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

seafoid

Quote from: give her dixie on May 06, 2010, 12:07:30 AM

Because of what I have been involved in, I have become very critical of US foreign policy.
I always have since living in during the 1st Gulf War, and following it closely ever since.
It's the system.

I know that I have pushed the boat out a few times on critism of the US, and from now on,

I think you're right about the system. Stew obviously has some personal issues that often render his posts abusive so you should just ignore him. A week living in the West Bank seeing the occupation up close would be the answer to his views on the Palestinians.     

stew

Quote from: Hedley Lamarr on May 06, 2010, 05:32:05 AM
Quote from: stew on May 05, 2010, 11:29:48 PM

Try walking in the shoes of the Palestinians....you know the people you label as murdering scum.... ::) ::)

I never said the Palestinians are murdering scum, I said Hamas were murdring scum, as are mossad and anyone else who targets and kills civillians, it's not a hard concept to grasp Hedley.

Get your facts right Hedley, sorry, what was your real name again???? ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Tyrones own

Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2010, 09:09:48 AM

It's the system.

I think you're right about the system. Stew obviously has some personal issues that often render his posts abusive so you should just ignore him. A week living in the West Bank seeing the occupation up close would be the answer to his views on the Palestinians.   
Grow up for Feck sake...it's very much a two way street here as far as what could be regarded as abuse,

For example:
QuoteStew obviously has some personal issues that often render his posts abusive
Question... Is it by chance only abuse when it's anyone of us 3 posting?
Would ye ever take a step back from this and realize that it's an internet forum formed of individual opinions and experiences
and needless to say it is policed for insults etc with ten specific rules and we are all still here aren't we ??? !!
All of these threats to Ignore and Boycott are in all honesty very very childish akin to primary school playground behavior
Yea yer really socking it to us alright, heavens forbid ye could beat us down on paper cause lord knows there's enough of ye...but sure knock yourselves out :-X
  - Walter Lippmann

magickingdom

Folks, can we draw a line under this argument.

I have apologised before and I will apologise again to anyone I have offended.

It's the system.

However, as I have lived there, I also have some incredible memories, and some fantastic
friends still living there. I will admit that I seldom talk about the good aspects of life there.

However lads, I have taken some personal shit and unfounded allegations have been made about me
that have been hurtful and disgraceful. I can take any form of critism on my posts, but I shouldn't have
to take it personally.

Stew, as I have said before, I have never had any beef with you ever. Plus, I give you full respect
in giving your name. You were prepared to put your name to your argument, and that took guts.
Plus, what happened to you and your family gives you a good enough reason to have a gun.

So, if everyone can accept my apology for offending them, can we put it behind us?

Plus, I feel bad for having started all this, and most importantly, disrespecting the memory of the 4 students whose anniversary it was yesterday.

dixie, i obviously don't know you but from the sounds of it you do a lot of work on behalf of the Palestinians and that is something i would support. the Palestinian issue is one of the few issues that i think America has got wrong. i have countless relations around the northeast US and i cant think of 1 that thinks America has the right approach to the middle east. that said i believe obama has a new perspective on it and its one that we will hopefully see creeping through. America does not belong to any one group or ideology and i think the good far out weighs any bad but thats just my opinion. i'll gladly draw a line under this spat

Tyrones own

+1
Less targeted and jagged rhetoric will no doubt =  less defense of said rhetoric which I'll concede sometimes
has come close to the line at times of insulting on my behalf...my apologies also.
  - Walter Lippmann

give her dixie

Fair enough folks, and maybe we can all learn a few lessons on how we conduct ourselves on this board.

If we can stay on topic, and keep personaliteis and nationalities out of it, then we will have a friendlier
board, and a livlier discussion. The same should go for County and Club chat on the other discussions.

If anyone wishes, I can delete this thread.

So, lets all give each other a big cyber hug......................................
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Puckoon

Quote from: give her dixie on May 06, 2010, 09:38:58 PM
Fair enough folks, and maybe we can all learn a few lessons on how we conduct ourselves on this board.

If we can stay on topic, and keep personaliteis and nationalities out of it, then we will have a friendlier
board, and a livlier discussion. The same should go for County and Club chat on the other discussions.

If anyone wishes, I can delete this thread.

So, lets all give each other a big cyber hug......................................

Thats the American spirit